Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: Adopt A *NEWBIE* Grower
    #72466 - 01/21/00 01:54 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Post a pic and I'll consider it. (Woa, that rhymed). :wink:

-rEvolutionist

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDelyrium
lemonadeh.o.n.e.y.

Loc: vermont
    #72468 - 01/21/00 01:55 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Funny you should say that...I already posted my picture in the Shroomery before.

------------------
"Pot also turns people into potheads."
I can see it now
memories of other days
turn through my brain
but tonight as always
I cannot breathe

--------------------
Fuck Ted Nugent he?s a fucking jerk
I wish that he?d be gone
Chauvanistic republican
Kills animals cause he
Forgot how to write a song

Anonymous

#72469 - 01/21/00 01:58 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Okay Del I'm not interested any sort of adoption but getting some jars growing is something I can advise you on.

I recommmend reading the MMGG and everything else but then following the "Simple Cubensis Growing Technique" at least as far as getting the jars colonized.

I don't know what you did, so I don't have any idea what went wrong.

But, if you-
i) use a pressure cooker
ii) follow the verm/brf recipe in "Simple Cubensis Growing Technique"
iii) use a ramsey seals for the jars
iv) innoculate using the oven as described in "SCGT"
v) start with a fresh syringe

You should be good. Also, I don't bother flaming the needles since I always start with a fresh one, and never let it touch anything outside the jars.

InvisibleDelyrium
lemonadeh.o.n.e.y.

#72470 - 01/21/00 02:07 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Ok, whats a pressure cooker (and what's it for) and whats a ramsey seal?!?

------------------
I can see it now
memories of other days
turn through my brain
but tonight as always
I cannot breathe

--------------------
I wish that he?d be gone
Chauvanistic republican
Kills animals cause he

InvisibleLinkA
Intrinsically No Good

Loc: Lost Woods, Hyrule
    #72471 - 01/21/00 02:15 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

And what are spores? :wink: j/k

--------------------
Wonder had gone away, and he had forgotten that all life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.  -- H.P. Lovecraft "The Silver Key"

Anonymous

#72472 - 01/21/00 02:17 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

If the 8 jar attempt was your first, don't be too discouraged. Practice makes perfect and the failures are worth it once you finally get it down. Since you are now left with but 4cc's of spore water, I would go for the mycilial suspension tek (found in the Grow/Find section of the Shroomery). I tried this for the first time about a month ago; it worked like a charm - I still have tons of mycilium in water sitting in the fridge. I simply disolved 1/8 tsp. Honey in 250cc hot water in a 1/2 pint jar (actually a brown vitamin jar to protect myco. cloud from UV) and autoclaved for 30 min. at 15psi; after cooling I added about 1cc of spore suspension (from a PF syringe) and incubated for about a week. The myco.water is now in the fridge, sealed from air with tape, until I need it again. AND, by the way, The cakes I innoculated using the myco.water colonized quite rapidly! I think I will probably use this tek exclusively from now on, as it requires less spore syringes. Another advantage of this tek is that one could add a bit of H2O2 to the syringe before innoculation (of substrate jars that is) to further avoid contams.
About the cakes, try to pay more attention to your sterilization techniques. Also, if you are certain that you did everything perfectly, it is always possible that the spore syringe was at fault. You may wish to contact whomever you bought it from, they may have created a bad batch.
Good luck!

Anonymous

#72473 - 01/21/00 02:18 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

A pressure cooker is used to cook foods and/or to prepare canning jars (those Ball 1/2 pint jars aren't just to grow shrooms with, most people actually use them to store food). Your nearby Wal-Mart should have some pressure cookers in the kitchen area. Most shroom growing teks suggest you use a pressure cooker to sterilize your substrate + jars. It's worth it.

A ramsey seal is a peice of aluminum foil which you put over the substrate in the regular PF tek jar (leave .5-1 inch at top of jar for plain old vermiculite). The ramsey seal supposedly helps cut down the number of contaminants by a lot... I wouldn't know, I haven't used it.

-rEvolutionist

Anonymous

#72474 - 01/21/00 02:27 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Use the magic mushroom growing guide. Im just a chump and that method worked great.

------------------
"You're crazy arent you?"
"Get out of my teeth!"

InvisibleDelyrium
lemonadeh.o.n.e.y.

#72475 - 01/21/00 02:27 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Ok and like other questions...

I got (well my mom got them for me) 1/2 pint jars. But they are tall jars. Not fat and wide. I mean, not very tall but like the size of a olive jar (the same height). We couldn't seem to have found any other type of jar. It says "Kerr - 1/2 pint canning jars". Well, I'm gonna go chuck out these smelly fucks and start 2 jars (why go through the hassle of more if it's gonna messup again?). God, I am so fustrated. I get fustrated REALLY fast (esp. when I am PMSing). And I am crying like a bitch cause I just am LOST!

Someone, PLEASE adopt me. I really am lost...i've never felt so stupid in my life!

------------------
I can see it now
memories of other days
turn through my brain
but tonight as always
I cannot breathe

--------------------
I wish that he?d be gone
Chauvanistic republican
Kills animals cause he

Anonymous

#72476 - 01/21/00 02:29 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

To be precise: a pressure cooker is a pot with sealed lid that steams the contents at 15psi. In an ordinary pot, that steam would be at about 100C, or boiling temp. of H2O. At 15psi, H2O boils at a much higher temp. This is good for us because high temp.s ensure no contams - with shorter cooking times, to boot.
By the way, I would recommend using the alufoil over your jars; it prevents water-logging of the subtrate during autoclave.

InvisibleDelyrium
lemonadeh.o.n.e.y.

#72477 - 01/21/00 02:29 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Shookster, I printed out the WHOLE MMGG (all 56 pages) and I read through it all and I find it very useless for me. It has no information that helps me. yes it has information but not in depth enough. I didn't know how to prepare my kitchen for making the subtrate jars, and I didn't know I had to tape the jars...damnit this fuckin blows.

------------------
I can see it now
memories of other days
turn through my brain
but tonight as always
I cannot breathe

--------------------
I wish that he?d be gone
Chauvanistic republican
Kills animals cause he

InvisibleDelyrium
lemonadeh.o.n.e.y.

#72478 - 01/21/00 02:31 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

alufoil?!? is that a special foil or something?!? and I will go out and get a pressure cooker (god this blows...I didn't expect spending SO much money).

------------------
I can see it now
memories of other days
turn through my brain
but tonight as always
I cannot breathe

--------------------
I wish that he?d be gone
Chauvanistic republican
Kills animals cause he

Anonymous

#72479 - 01/21/00 02:41 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Get a grip, child!
It's not the end of the world. What, 50 cents of vermiculite and brown rice flour and 45 minutes of your time. Jeez, if your gonna cry over something so trivial, I'd hate to see what happens if you run into a real life situation!
Don't throw the jars away, just dump the contents - u can still use the jars, themselves. I used standard 1/2 pint jars for years, and they work just ducky.
I would seriously suggest using the mycilium suspension tek, as I mentioned before! If your spore syringe is suspect, using the myco. water tek will tell you. If you make it thru that, fine, then you'll know it is you substrate sterilization that you must concentrate on.

Anonymous

#72480 - 01/21/00 02:44 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

The MMGG is long and "classic".. I don't like it. Its good to read once you understand "Simple Cubensis Growing Technique" though.

Have you read the SCGT yet?

The jars sound find. As long as it doesn't get narrow from the bottom to the top, its fine. I'm sure that the main reason things didn't work is you didn't pressure cook the jars.

[This message has been edited by Buffalo Trance (edited January 21, 2000).]

Anonymous

#72481 - 01/21/00 02:45 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Someone here claimed that you can get pressure cookers from military surplus sites/stores. That would be the cheap way out!
Also, I meant aluminum foil (just don't like to type that much). Don't need tape on the substrate jars, foil is good enough.

Anonymous

Re: Adopt A *NEWBIE* Grower * 1
    #72482 - 01/21/00 03:05 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

To set the record straight! One does NOT have to use a pressure cooker with the PF(MMGG)Tek. Brown rice flour just doesn't take long or require that much heat for cooking/ sterilizing. (Rye grain does). So, u can make do with steaming in a large pot, or even using microwave, if you have plastic lids for the jars. I read several accounts of microwaving with positive results and am in the process of trying for myself.
I skipped the lids and nuked jars in ziplock sandwich bags. Careful, the substrate expands like crazy, perhaps a plate on top would hold it in. After, I taped bag tightly around near jar opening, creating a plastic "lid" and cut the excess bag off. I then retaped to the glass and allowed the whole thing to cool....

Anonymous

#72483 - 01/21/00 04:00 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Delyrium, you said:

"(cause they smell REALLY bad and are only 3-4 days old)."

Then junk them. Only reason for these things to stink is contamination. Only reason for contamination is insufficient sterility. Learning about sterility comes with practice.

Make sure *everything* you're going to use is clean. Work surface, any tools, bowls, cloths. Make sure you've got everything around you that you'll need - you don't want to be going out of the kitchen until it's all done.

Mix up a small amount of standard MMGG substrate.

Play with it. Seriously. This 5h1t is *cheap*! Vermiculite, rice flour, water. Play with it like Play-Doh. Throw it out if it gets too sticky, it's unsaveable. Learn what texture and consistency good substrate should be like. It should be in tiny, gravel-sized pieces. It should be moist, but not wet. If you squeeze some in your hand you should *just* get a drop of water out of it. Be prepared to throw out a few handfuls of glop that fail.

Practice your sterility techniques.

Mix up some substrate and do a jar in the pressure cooker. Do a jar in the microwave if you have access to one. (Don't just stick the jar in for fifteen minutes on full power - that's a Bad Thing. Do a search on 'nuke' or 'microwave' - there's plenty of advice on the subject.) Leave the jars for a week. Leave them for another week. See any contamination growing? If nothing grows in there, then your sterility techniques are working, and you can probably risk one more cc out of the spore syringe.

You're not the only person ever to lose jars to contamination. It can be beaten. Here, you have all the help and advice you'll need.

Please don't give up.

InvisibleCondi1
old hand
    #72484 - 01/21/00 07:37 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

[This message has been edited by Condi1 (edited October 06, 2000).]

OfflineBenzl
enthusiast
    #72485 - 01/21/00 08:20 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I have this horrible vision that by the time you have grown something you will be up to around twenty-thousand posts here, maybe if you weren't posting 200 times a week and did some growing instead you would be there by now?

Anonymous

#72486 - 01/21/00 08:24 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

LOL....what is up with this guy??

"Delyrium
(Total posts: 467)"

467 posts and you cant successfully make jars? Where do you hang, the Off-Topic Discussion or something??? LOL

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder