Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekimikiri
 User Gallery

Loc: Aboard an alien vessel
Nature vs. Nurture
    #7220778 - 07/25/07 01:46 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Much like this age old debate I think that certain aspects of tripping and experiencing drugs in general... some people are more attuned than others.

However I find myself at a strange juxtapose...

In day to day life I find that "all things being equal" I follow the nurture path...

As far as drugs go... and psychedelics especially... I get the feeling that nature is key.

strange I know...

--------------------
Those who would sacrifice their freedoms for securities deserve neither, and will soon lose both.

-Benjamin Franklin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKanker
Hides in tall grass
Male

Loc: On a Long dead-heart.
Re: Nature vs. Nurture [Re: kimikiri]
    #7221011 - 07/25/07 06:00 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

im not getting what point you're trying to make?
are you talking about tolerance?

--------------------
I'm ahead, I'm advanced
I am the first mammal to make plans, yeah
I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire.
It's evolution baby.
-Pearl Jam

InvisibleIndividual
Bass Addict
Male User Gallery

Loc: Reality Loophole
Re: Nature vs. Nurture [Re: Kanker]
    #7221044 - 07/25/07 06:27 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Kanker said:
im not getting what point you're trying to make

--------------------
THE PHILOSOPHY OF LIBERTY <---                                               

InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

#7221058 - 07/25/07 06:41 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I think he means that generally he's more in favour of nurture being the defining aspect of each individual, but when it comes to psychedelics certain people seem to be naturally predisposed to a good or bad experience.

--------------------
Disclaimer: If you have any kind of heart condition, my posts are not for you. You could literally die from reading the first couple of words in any one of them. Scroll down the page, live your life and prosper, but don't read my posts because your heart will probably explode. I am not joking.

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: Nature vs. Nurture [Re: EllisDSox]
    #7221276 - 07/25/07 08:58 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Well yeah, everyone reacts differently to drugs. Know yourself and know your substance! Then find someplace good to trip in, free of annoying distractions.

Going down a motorway at 90mph where speed cameras and police patrol is not conductive for a good trip.

--------------------

Offlinekimikiri
 User Gallery

#7224558 - 07/25/07 11:34 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

EllisDSox said:
I think he means that generally he's more in favour of nurture being the defining aspect of each individual, but when it comes to psychedelics certain people seem to be naturally predisposed to a good or bad experience.

Pretty much spot on mate.

I was hoping to start some good debate on the matter but I dont think anyone is up for it.

--------------------
Those who would sacrifice their freedoms for securities deserve neither, and will soon lose both.

-Benjamin Franklin

OfflineKanker
Hides in tall grass
Male

#7225171 - 07/26/07 05:45 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

oh, well now that i understand :laugh:
i dont believe in absolutes.  i feel that nature influences the way you enter, but nurture influences the way that you exit / what you make it.

if you're straight laced to the core, a control freak and cannot deal with situations you arent prepared for/ dont understand, then i should expect that any kind of altered state of mind could pose a serious risk to your core being, the person you thought you were, and since you werent prepared for this, the person would probably freak out all over the place.  but then again, depending on your experiences in life, you may be able to still see the beauty of what is happening, and through nurture be able to see past your petty need for control and embrace what you are experiencing in a positive light.

several times taking cannabis, i have taken them in a somewhat angry / aggitated mood.  ironically from what most people say (that your mood at the time of dosage will influence your trip), it actually calmed me down, and i had a very enjoyable evening on both occasions.
but then that may be a case of nurture, as im generally quite laid back.

--------------------
I'm ahead, I'm advanced
It's evolution baby.
-Pearl Jam

InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

#7225313 - 07/26/07 07:25 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Ultimately, for me at least, both nature and nurture play a huge role. Nurture dictates how you will approach the experience, but your nature will define how you cope with it, integrate it and learn from it.

For example, someone who is taught their whole life that drugs are bad is likely to approach a psychedelic experience with a great deal of fear (if at all), but, assuming this doesn't totally override and ruin the trip, their nature, ability to let go and connect with the universe may create an extremely positive experience.

Basically, nurture effects how one will initially approach psychedelics, but assuming a person doesn't dip their toes in the water then run away crying their nature has every chance of reaffirming in them the ancient connection between the mind and all other things.

--------------------
Disclaimer: If you have any kind of heart condition, my posts are not for you. You could literally die from reading the first couple of words in any one of them. Scroll down the page, live your life and prosper, but don't read my posts because your heart will probably explode. I am not joking.

OfflineKanker
Hides in tall grass
Male

#7238544 - 07/29/07 10:58 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

EllisDSox said:
Ultimately, for me at least, both nature and nurture play a huge role. Nurture dictates how you will approach the experience, but your nature will define how you cope with it, integrate it and learn from it.

For example, someone who is taught their whole life that drugs are bad is likely to approach a psychedelic experience with a great deal of fear (if at all), but, assuming this doesn't totally override and ruin the trip, their nature, ability to let go and connect with the universe may create an extremely positive experience.

Basically, nurture effects how one will initially approach psychedelics, but assuming a person doesn't dip their toes in the water then run away crying their nature has every chance of reaffirming in them the ancient connection between the mind and all other things.

word

--------------------
I'm ahead, I'm advanced
It's evolution baby.
-Pearl Jam

Offlinekimikiri
 User Gallery

Re: Nature vs. Nurture [Re: Kanker]
    #7245909 - 08/01/07 12:09 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Kanker said:
Quote:

EllisDSox said:

word

Once again spot on. However I cannot fail to notice that some people like to trip "a lot" while others seem to take long breaks between their experiences.

I for one know that after my last "real" trip (a mid to high lv 4) I need some time to reflect and rethink what "exactly" happened before I would attempt to do it again.

However I have taken several small trips since then... and they all just pale in comparison. I feel no need or desire to do a "small" trip again anytime soon. Yet, I am not sure if I am ready to do another nosedive into the abyss.

My nurture was 100% anti-drug

I "dipped" my toes several times before diving.

My first dive was amazing...

Nurture vs. Nature

Makes me rethink what I "knew"

--------------------

-Benjamin Franklin

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order