Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLickMyGlowStick
Stranger

Loc: Nearest 711
Liquid Culture * 1
    #7243260 - 07/31/07 10:43 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Okay, I just bought some bags, and now I need to make liquid culture out of my mushroom syringes. I looked all over shroomery and only found one way to do it. Can anyone give me some tips or link to their recommended way to do it?

Thanx you guys are always helpful!

--------------------
Mushe, Mushe, Mushe

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleThePyschonaut52
Stranger
Male

Re: Liquid Culture [Re: LickMyGlowStick]
    #7243302 - 07/31/07 10:56 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

teaspoon of honey in 250 mLs of water.

PC for one hour

--------------------
"In god we trust..."

-I guess we're screwed.

OfflineNeobean
Adept Mycologist
Male

Loc: Canada
Re: Liquid Culture [Re: ThePyschonaut52]
    #7243342 - 07/31/07 11:05 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ThePyschonaut52 said:
teaspoon of honey in 250 mLs of water.

PC for one hour

One hour?? Won't that carmelize the honey? I always see (and use) no more than 20 minutes....

--------------------
If y0u want s0meting gr0wn right, y0u g0tta gr0w it y0urself!!!

InvisibleThePyschonaut52
Stranger
Male

Re: Liquid Culture [Re: Neobean]
    #7243396 - 07/31/07 11:18 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

no, i always PC for an hour and it turns out fine

--------------------
"In god we trust..."

-I guess we're screwed.

InvisibleMankey
Male

Re: Liquid Culture [Re: ThePyschonaut52]
    #7243443 - 07/31/07 11:31 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Same. An hour is totally fine. I love the sediment in honey too.

OfflineNeobean
Adept Mycologist
Male

Re: Liquid Culture [Re: Mankey]
    #7243450 - 07/31/07 11:32 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Guess I'll have to give that a go as well.... :wink:

--------------------

Offlinejash420
Thatmuthafucka..
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Where the red fern grows....
Re: Liquid Culture [Re: Neobean]
    #7243879 - 07/31/07 01:37 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I personally cannot ever cook my LC's at 15 psi for even 5 minutes without it carmalizing. I am however using Karo light corn syrup. Not to hijack this thread but is it possible we all have different LC cook times perhaps due to elevation? Same principle as cook times may differ in different altitudes? I'm not gonna try and tell this guy to follow my advice on LC's as there are many more people on these boards whom are far better off in the ways of LC..

--------------------
I love poo, any friend of my mushrooms is a friend of mine..

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Liquid Culture [Re: jash420]
    #7243963 - 07/31/07 01:57 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

i thought you could get away with less time with LC because liquid boils so easy, unlike substrates which take a while to heat up. i do 30 mins for my honey just boiling (no pc:( ). anything longer i get an unwanted goop. or is that due to too much honey?

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineLickMyGlowStick
Stranger

Loc: Nearest 711
Re: Liquid Culture [Re: kadakuda]
    #7244080 - 07/31/07 02:33 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Ha ha, I'm so confused about what you guys are saying. Alright lets slow down because I'm kind of blond, and new at this. I've never done this before but I've been reading up on things as much as I can. So this is the whole run down of the story. I bought Mushroom Substrate Grow Bag Kit *5 POUNDS* , And Mushroom Spawn Grain Grow Bag Kit *3 POUNDS*

Now I gotta make liquid culture, which I looked up on the internet and it says to:

Mycelium can be cultured in a liquid (as opposed to a solid like vermiculite/brown rice flour) which you can then use to easily inoculate substrate and start mycelium growth much faster than if you were using spores.

You should first go to your local home-brew supply store and buy the lightest colored powdered malt extract they have. Mix 4% (by weight) malt extract powder with distilled water (boil it, and then mix in the powder. No need to let it cool to room temperature first). Pour this medium into any large jar with a metal lid, and make one small hole in the lid with a nail. Cover the top tightly with aluminum foil, and either boil the jar in water for an hour (be sure to put the jar on a washcloth and not directly on the bottom of the pot) or use a pressure cooker set at 15psi for 20 minutes. Let the jar cool overnight.

The next day take your spore syringe, stick the needle through the hole in the lid, and squeeze in the solution. Cover the top of the jar with aluminum foil again, only not too tightly since you'll want to allow gas exchange. Keep the jar somewhere warm and dark, and agitate it every day. You should notice the solution becoming milky, and towards the end of the incubation you'll see fluffy pieces of mycelium floating around in it. At this point you can keep it in the fridge until you're ready to use it. When you want to start a mushroom culture somewhere, flame-sterilize the needle of a 10cc syringe, let it cool, stick it through the hole in the top of the lid, and pull in as much solution as you need. You can then inject this into your substrate and it will start growing immediately. Any time you run low on mycelium solution, go through the same process with another jar only instead of injecting spores inject the last of your mycelium solution. Be on the lookout for any contamination!

It is no Keepers Brew but, you will be happy with the results.

Stay cool!
Keeper

Credit: psychedlic.com

----------------------------------------------

I also have the forums suggested book, The mushroom cultivator, by Paul stamets, and j.s. Chilton.

Is there a way I could do this without the pressure cooker? I need to get one asap then.

--------------------
Mushe, Mushe, Mushe

Edited by LickMyGlowStick (07/31/07 02:40 PM)

OfflineNeobean
Adept Mycologist
Male

Re: Liquid Culture [Re: LickMyGlowStick]
    #7244424 - 07/31/07 05:07 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

You could just steam your jars....same effect but less control. PC is preferable, but not absolutely necessary....

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates