Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshroom1957
backatit
Male

Cakes on Perlite, some questions and observations..... * 1
    #7232357 - 07/27/07 11:12 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I'm just now doing this again after about a 5 year hiatus, but I've got some questions and observations about fruiting PF style cakes on perlite.
Several TEKS suggest a fairly deep layer of Perlite in the bottom of a FC but I have to wonder about that. Perlite adsorbs water, that is it tends to take it in on the outside of the material and then gives it up to the air in the FC based on it's surface area which is quite large.
What is the advantage of a deep layer of Perlite when only the area of the perlite that is exposed to the air is capable of releasing the moisture? Why not do a layer of a moisture absorbing material such as vermiculite with a thinner layer of perlite over the top?
As I understand it, the top layer of perlite that is exposed to the enviornment in the chamber gives up a great deal of humidity to the atmosphere in the FC, but any perlite that is submerged in the water is a lot less efficient in wicking the water to the top layer.
Why would you not be able to place a thin layer of perlite on top of something that would wick moisture into it like vermiculite and get a more efficient humudification?

--------------------
Reality is just a way of looking at things that you were taught before you were old enough to know any better! -me

For me the world is weird because it is stupendous,awesome,mysterious,unfathomable;my interest has been to convince you that you must assume responsibility for being here, in this marvelous world,in this marvelous desert,in this marvelous time. I wanted to convince you that you must learn to make every act count, since you are going to be here for only a short while;in fact,too short for witnessing all the marvels of it.
-Don Juan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshroom1957
backatit
Male

Re: Cakes on Perlite, some questions and observations..... [Re: shroom1957]
    #7234333 - 07/28/07 04:50 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Anyone?

--------------------
Reality is just a way of looking at things that you were taught before you were old enough to know any better! -me

For me the world is weird because it is stupendous,awesome,mysterious,unfathomable;my interest has been to convince you that you must assume responsibility for being here, in this marvelous world,in this marvelous desert,in this marvelous time. I wanted to convince you that you must learn to make every act count, since you are going to be here for only a short while;in fact,too short for witnessing all the marvels of it.
-Don Juan

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

#7234345 - 07/28/07 04:56 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

You are not supposed to have standing water in the fc anyway.So If you take some damp perlite put it in the fc and make sure that it is airy the bottom of the perlite will wick up moisture.

--------------------
"Anything i say is fictional"
  what you should look for in manure

InvisibleHipsterDoofus
older than dirt
Male
Re: Cakes on Perlite, some questions and observations..... [Re: xaxphaanes]
    #7234536 - 07/28/07 06:11 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

A thick layer of perlite makes the FC maintenance free for two or three weeks before needing to re-wet the perlite.

Your FC should have tons of holes drilled on all six sides including the bottom. The perlite won't fall out hardly at all. Air will circulate up and through the perlite. The circulation of air creates the humidity by evaporating water from the perlite.

No standing water at all whatsoever. Just soak and drain the perlite before adding it to the FC.

OfflineThe Crow
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: giving birth
    #7243212 - 07/31/07 10:28 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

No big deal, but perlite doesn't absorb water. It is a crystalline product, and is so effective in humidifying because it has a large surface area(lots of nooks and crannies). Water simply coats the outside of it, it doesn't absorb into it.

--------------------

Offlineshroom1957
backatit
Male

Re: Cakes on Perlite, some questions and observations..... [Re: The Crow]
    #7243379 - 07/31/07 11:14 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I said Perlite aDsorbed water...look it up

--------------------

-Don Juan

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7243388 - 07/31/07 11:15 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

if anything id say do it the other way around, ive had little issues with putting a cake directly on perlite.

do a thick layer of damp perlite, with wet vermiculite on top, and set your cake directly on vermiculite.

--------------------
Banez' PF Tek For Beginners

OfflineThe Crow
Stranger
 User Gallery

#7243588 - 07/31/07 12:11 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Banez! Didn't you recently make a "WHAAAAAAA WHAAAAAAAAA I'M leaving the Shroomery WHAAAAAAAA!" thread?

What brought you back? Are the undesirable elements gone now?:smirk:

Welcome back man, I guess:tongue:
How does the layer or verm on top help?

EDIT: and wouldn't drilling holes on the bottom be useless if I'm going to put my FC on a flat wooden surface anyways?
Also what is the big deal with having still water on the bottom of the FC?

--------------------

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7243593 - 07/31/07 12:13 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

This doesnt belong in the cultivation forum. Im trying to give a fellow member advice. if you want to make jokes, go back to OTD.

--------------------

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7243612 - 07/31/07 12:18 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

verm on top on the perlite a) gets the cake off perlite, i had a lot of pins getting waterlogged and looking like little balls, and not looking like mushrooms. b) the wet vermiculite provides more moisture to the cakes, remember you need to keep misting while they are in the FC.

i dont know about the FC you are using, I use an greenhouse.

--------------------

OfflineThe Crow
Stranger
 User Gallery

#7243636 - 07/31/07 12:24 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

What does the wet verm do? just help with overall humidity?

--------------------

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7243648 - 07/31/07 12:28 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

no, the vermiculite holds moisture for the cake to use. the cakes need water.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies