Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
U.S. Army Offering $20,000 Bonus for "Quick Recruits" Who Ship to Training Within a Month
    #7240178 - 07/30/07 02:24 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.wlwt.com/news/13766925/detail.html

CINCINNATI -- As the U.S. Army continues to keep thousands of troops deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan, Army recruiters have a new perk to offer new recruits.

The Army is now offering a $20,000 "QS" – or “Quick Shipper” -- bonus to new and prior service recruits joining, selecting any job and shipping out for training within 30 days.

"The Q.S. letters means "quick shipper," said Columbus Recruiting Battalion spokesperson Tom Foley in a news release. "And $20,000 means, well, it means a lot of seed money for new soldiers answering the Army's call to duty. The Army is growing in size and we simply need more recruits for training, now."

The $20,000 bonus is in addition to previous offers already in place.

The Army has had trouble meeting recruiting goals, especially in southwest Ohio, in the past few months as the Middle East conflicts continue.

Soldiers have often complained about the traditionally low pay as well.

Foley said some recruits could tally bonuses up to $40,000 during this period with enlistments of four years or more.

Students News 5 spoke to at Boone County High School said the money is appealing, but would not convince them to join.

"I don't think I would, for that reason, to go over to Iraq,” said senior Jared Snow. “I don't think it would be worth it to me, but it would appeal to me."

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleKnifey Mcstab
Sir Prancelot Brainfire
Male

Loc: PNW
Re: U.S. Army Offering $20,000 Bonus for "Quick Recruits" Who Ship to Training Within a Month [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #7240190 - 07/30/07 02:28 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Definitely appealing, I've thought of joining before but the risk and the fact that it conflicts with my personal beliefs outweigh the money.

--------------------

Invisibleroby000
me
Trans-male

Re: U.S. Army Offering $20,000 Bonus for "Quick Recruits" Who Ship to Training Within a Month [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #7240193 - 07/30/07 02:29 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Is that just in cincinatti or nation wide? Wish they had that shot when I joined.

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
Re: U.S. Army Offering $20,000 Bonus for "Quick Recruits" Who Ship to Training Within a Month [Re: Knifey Mcstab]
    #7240201 - 07/30/07 02:32 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

$20,000 isn't that much money... But it seems like alot to the poorer recruits. One more way to keep the rich kids away from harm, and keep the burden of war propped on the backs of the lower class.

It's sickening. :shrug:

They should offer "free gasoline for life"...

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

#7240221 - 07/30/07 02:40 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I would so totally sign up if it didn't mean a seven year commitment. I would like to go to Iraq for maybe like a year or so.

OfflineAninator
Flashtique
 User Gallery

Loc: Philadlephia, PA
Re: U.S. Army Offering $20,000 Bonus for "Quick Recruits" Who Ship to Training Within a Month [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #7240237 - 07/30/07 02:46 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

if you don't mind me asking randall, why WOULD you want to goto iraq?

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

Re: U.S. Army Offering $20,000 Bonus for "Quick Recruits" Who Ship to Training Within a Month [Re: Aninator]
    #7240252 - 07/30/07 02:51 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I feel a desire to stand next to my fellow Americans.  I'm a nationalist.  I believe in my country's right to pursue and maintain its power.  I realize that this puts me into conflict with 90% of the people on this site.  But, I'm not a pacifist hippy.  :shrug:

I don't think that we should be in Iraq....not because I am a pacifist but because I don't think that we should be wasting money and our troop's blood on these backwards people halfway across the world.  I say we let the Sunni's and the Shia engage in a civil war.  Most Muslims are our enemies and we should encourage any situation where they kill each other.

I feel guilty that my fellow Americans are over in that shithole and here I sit all comfortable and well-off.

InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Massachusetts
    #7240275 - 07/30/07 02:57 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

$20,000 isn't good for much when your tanks gets blown up. Keep the fucking 20 grand.

--------------------
Remember, remember the fifth of November
The gunpowder treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

Re: U.S. Army Offering $20,000 Bonus for "Quick Recruits" Who Ship to Training Within a Month [Re: Liz]
    #7240284 - 07/30/07 03:02 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

There is something to be said of honor and of service to one's country. But, our military was made to destroy other militaries. It was not made to engage in nation building with a bunch of ungrateful and backwards people. The Arabs are used to and deserve nothing but dictatorships. We should not try to help them. As long as they keep selling us their oil that's all that matters. Let them rot in their squalor.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: U.S. Army Offering $20,000 Bonus for "Quick Recruits" Who Ship to Training Within a Month [Re: Liz]
    #7240285 - 07/30/07 03:03 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

5k a year for a four year enlistment is nothing.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: U.S. Army Offering $20,000 Bonus for "Quick Recruits" Who Ship to Training Within a Month [Re: RoosterCogburn]
    #7240292 - 07/30/07 03:06 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

RoosterCogburn said:
They should offer "free gasoline for life"...

now that we own Iraq, shouldnt we all be getting that?

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

Re: U.S. Army Offering $20,000 Bonus for "Quick Recruits" Who Ship to Training Within a Month [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #7240297 - 07/30/07 03:08 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

We actually get most of our oil from Canada and Mexico. The Middle East is a distant third or so when it comes to our oil supply. But, world supplies are so tight that the Middle East's oil production is crucial to our energy interests at the moment.

InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Massachusetts
Re: U.S. Army Offering $20,000 Bonus for "Quick Recruits" Who Ship to Training Within a Month [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #7240342 - 07/30/07 03:26 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I have nothing against people who think it's honorable to serve their country. I also don't have much against war - I'm not a pacifist in the least. I just think that the one we're fighting right now is crap, and it's not worth the American lives that have been lost.

--------------------
Remember, remember the fifth of November
The gunpowder treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#7240363 - 07/30/07 03:31 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

we buy oil from anyone that'll sell it to us, we're also sitting on top of enormous reserves...

if the US is in the habit of fighting wars, we need to start keeping our spoils

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

#7240366 - 07/30/07 03:33 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I totally agree with you.

I would much prefer it if our troops were at home defending our borders. I wish that all of the money we have spent on the Middle East over the years could have been spent on alternative energies so that we wouldn't need the Arabs at all and we could tell them to go fuck themselves.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#7240375 - 07/30/07 03:36 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I think the money should have been spent on harnesing the power of the peanut to unlock the secrets of time travel.... but that's just me, I'm selfish

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Valleys of Willamette Flag
Re: U.S. Army Offering $20,000 Bonus for "Quick Recruits" Who Ship to Training Within a Month [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #7240383 - 07/30/07 03:37 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

If they give me 20 million I'll join.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

#7240386 - 07/30/07 03:37 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

We are sitting on top of enormous reserves (especially in the oil shale in Colorado) but it is expensive to retrieve it. Middle Eastern oil is cheaper to get at and thus it makes more economic sense to buy from them.

It is terribly unfortunate that such a large reservior of energy that is needed by the modern world is in the Middle East and under the land of such a chaotic and worthless people.

InvisibleCalifornia
A E S T H E T I C S A T A N
 User Gallery

Loc: H A U N T E D H O U S E Flag
    #7240389 - 07/30/07 03:38 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
we buy oil from anyone that'll sell it to us, we're also sitting on top of enormous reserves...

if the US is in the habit of fighting wars, we need to start keeping our spoils

you can't spell spoils without 'oil'!

The more oil that we can keep out of Chinas reserves/engines the better(and better sooner than later).

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

Re: U.S. Army Offering $20,000 Bonus for "Quick Recruits" Who Ship to Training Within a Month [Re: California]
    #7240394 - 07/30/07 03:41 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Good point. China will be our main rival over the next 50 years. We must do everything we can to counter them or they will encroach upon our power. That was one of the main motivators of the Iraq war in my opinion; to establish American energy contracts with a nation with vast oil reserves.

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7240401 - 07/30/07 03:43 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

This post is a huge misconception.

QS is simply someone who SHIPS TO BASIC TRAINING within 30 days of signing your contract.. QS has nothing to do with going to Iraq or being deployed.

not attacking OMR, i just dont think he understands the terminology.

--------------------
Banez' PF Tek For Beginners

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

Re: U.S. Army Offering $20,000 Bonus for "Quick Recruits" Who Ship to Training Within a Month [Re: Banez]
    #7240410 - 07/30/07 03:48 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

The U.S. Army routinely uses shady terminology to attract recruits. I remember last year they used a "you will only be on active duty for a year and a half" gag. What they didn't tell you was that after you get off active duty you have to sign up for the reserves, the I.R.R., or the National Guard. And members of all three of these organizations have been called up extensively in the current war. So, if you sign up for that program you can expect to find yourself in Iraq for five of the next seven years...at least.

Basically, the Army conveniently glosses over things or outright lies to potential recruits.

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7240413 - 07/30/07 03:51 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Hmm, no... this is actually much better.. would you rather have 20k just to go to basic training, or get 20k to go to Iraq.

The way it is with QS, you enlist, sign your contract, and if your in basic training within 30 days, when you graduate 9-12 weeks later, you have 20 grand waiting for you.

I think thats a pretty good deal... this is also before you go to job training (if you are non-infantry), and before you ever even get stationed.. this is money you receive after being in the service just 3-4 months.

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

Re: U.S. Army Offering $20,000 Bonus for "Quick Recruits" Who Ship to Training Within a Month [Re: Banez]
    #7240461 - 07/30/07 04:12 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I'm not saying that this particular plan is bad. I'm saying that the Army will conveniently gloss over and/or lie about stuff in order to get gullible young kids to sign up.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#7240465 - 07/30/07 04:13 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:
We are sitting on top of enormous reserves (especially in the oil shale in Colorado) but it is expensive to retrieve it. Middle Eastern oil is cheaper to get at and thus it makes more economic sense to buy from them.

poke a hole in sand or drill through some crumbly rock... there's not a mountain
chain on this contenent that's not littered with oil... it's disgusting, I
really havent seen this savings passed on to the consumers from this middle eastern oil, if anything I've seen it skyrocket. I bet if haliburton wasnt
building us a pipeline through the mid east gas would be at a more reasonable $1.28

Quote:

It is terribly unfortunate that such a large reservior of energy that is needed by the modern world is in the Middle East and under the land of such a chaotic and worthless people.

they arent worthless, Junior is a friend from Iran, he's top notch. Shakir
is a very close friend, he credits me with saving his life, I was just helping
someone in need. they both taught me a lot as have a few others, the most
important is that this country has a mere 200 years of history and borrowed
culture.... they have over 5000 years. they really are no different than you and I

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#7240472 - 07/30/07 04:16 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Banez said:
This post is a huge misconception.

QS is simply someone who SHIPS TO BASIC TRAINING within 30 days of signing your contract.. QS has nothing to do with going to Iraq or being deployed.

you didnt graduate basic... you'd have learned what QS actualy means

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: U.S. Army Offering $20,000 Bonus for "Quick Recruits" Who Ship to Training Within a Month [Re: California]
    #7240475 - 07/30/07 04:17 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Oregon said:
The more oil that we can keep out of Chinas reserves/engines the better(and better sooner than later).

what's the problem with china?

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7240477 - 07/30/07 04:18 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

What does graduating have to do with it? I got QS bonus in my contract for being a QS, Quick Shipper.. so im well aware of what it is. thank you.

I love some of the moderators here :thumbdown:

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#7240503 - 07/30/07 04:31 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

"My recruiter lied to me!"

you'd learn a great deal more after A school, cant get there until you're out of basic

OfflineStrandedVoyager
The People's Champ
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (202)-456-1414 Call Me
    #7240513 - 07/30/07 04:36 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I know most of you are expecting a profanity laced tirade in opposition of most of the opinions already expressed but I'm honestly not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing and I'm not exactly sure where I stand on this. So I think I'm going to get out of the way of this debate and think about it some more.

:potleaf:

--------------------
Hi  :scrambled:

My god... it's full of stars...

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

#7240517 - 07/30/07 04:37 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
poke a hole in sand or drill through some crumbly rock... there's not a mountain chain on this contenent that's not littered with oil... it's disgusting

But, it is in locations and in a form which makes it much more difficult and expensive to retrieve. The Arabs can do it much cheaper because they have these big pools of oil that they can just suck out of the ground.

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
I really havent seen this savings passed on to the consumers from this middle eastern oil

This is because other nations have been voraciously increasing their oil usage (China and India specifically). More demand creates tighter supplies which raises prices.

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
they arent worthless, Junior is a friend from Iran, he's top notch. Shakir is a very close friend, he credits me with saving his life, I was just helping someone in need. they both taught me a lot as have a few others, the most important is that this country has a mere 200 years of history and borrowed culture.... they have over 5000 years. they really are no different than you and I

But, they are in a phase of their history where their societies are riven by blood-fueds, religious divisions, tribal loyalties, and instability. They used to be the pillar and the center of human civilization...they are no longer. Therefore, they do not deserve the respect or the esteem from such a title.

OfflineStrandedVoyager
The People's Champ
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (202)-456-1414 Call Me
Re: U.S. Army Offering $20,000 Bonus for "Quick Recruits" Who Ship to Training Within a Month [Re: StrandedVoyager]
    #7240521 - 07/30/07 04:39 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Part of me feels like the US Army is offering so much money because the American Dollar's worth could possibly collapse soon... I'm still not really sure how I feel about this.

:potleaf:

--------------------
Hi  :scrambled:

My god... it's full of stars...

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

Re: U.S. Army Offering $20,000 Bonus for "Quick Recruits" Who Ship to Training Within a Month [Re: StrandedVoyager]
    #7240523 - 07/30/07 04:41 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

It will be at least another 20-40 years until the American dollar collapses.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#7240542 - 07/30/07 04:51 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:
More demand creates tighter supplies which raises prices.

I proved this wrong with chickens

Quote:

But, they are in a phase of their history where their societies are riven by blood-fueds, religious divisions, tribal loyalites, and instability. They used to be the pillar and the center of human civilization...they are no longer. Therefore, they do not deserve the respect or the esteem from such a title.

they've always been in that phase of development, just like most other cultures,
isnt the US instigating another blood fued with their preemptive strike against
terrorism? just another senseless war against an innocent people, as it's always
been done. yep... civilization. respect.

InvisibleCalifornia
 User Gallery

#7240548 - 07/30/07 04:52 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

Oregon said:

they are petrol hungry.
China: Fuel Consumption to Reach 350m Tons
"In 2006, China imported 139 million tons of crude oil, up 17 percent on 2005. Imports accounted for 47 percent of the country's consumption. Industry observers have warned China will likely need to import more than 50 percent of its petroleum needs in a year or two."

PetrolWorld 020707.

old figures/link I know but it illustrates one thing wrong with China.

There's that, and the poison in the dog food ingredients thing.:mad2:

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

#7240549 - 07/30/07 04:53 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I believe that the Bush Administration pursued the Iraq War in order to accomplish certain geo-political and economic benefits. If it had all worked out it would have been great. Unfortunately, it has not worked out.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#7240559 - 07/30/07 04:59 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Oregon said:
Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

Oregon said:

they are petrol hungry.

US Oil Consumption: 20.73 million bbl/day (2004 est.)

75 billion barrels a year, now plug in that $50/bbl price and see where the the real hunger is

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

#7240565 - 07/30/07 05:02 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Yes, America uses a shitload of energy (more than any other nation). But, with China and India becoming more modern (and thus using more energy) they will cause the price of energy to rise. This will cause significant economic problems for us. Our stuff will become more expensive and thus our standard of living will decrease. Because of this we must make an effort to counter China (and other rising powers).

InvisibleCalifornia
 User Gallery

#7240567 - 07/30/07 05:04 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

:money:
it's not cheap to plan ahead.

OfflineAngered Roach

#7240577 - 07/30/07 05:07 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I'd join the army if it weren't for the drug regulations.  7 years without touching a single drug but alcohol? Woohoo!  Sign me up.

That 20,000 signing bonus is appealing, but, nah.

I guess they're trying to get more recruits out of Cincinnati.  Like they haven't killed enough Cincinnatians already.  :rolleyes:

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#7240593 - 07/30/07 05:13 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:
I believe that the Bush Administration pursued the Iraq War in order to accomplish certain geo-political and economic benefits. If it had all worked out it would have been great. Unfortunately, it has not worked out.

it's not worked out for the US public. it's certainly working out for someone.
why do you think we're also taking an interest in Chechnya, Afganistan, Pakistan
and Iran, it's the routing of oil... not just the aquisition

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#7240607 - 07/30/07 05:18 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:
Yes, America uses a shitload of energy (more than any other nation). But, with China and India becoming more modern (and thus using more energy) they will cause the price of energy to rise. This will cause significant economic problems for us. Our stuff will become more expensive and thus our standard of living will decrease. Because of this we must make an effort to counter China (and other rising powers).

so we have the right, they do not?

again I see no difference, if they dont cause it for us, we cause it for them

lets suppose china doesnt get their oil, those wonderfuly cheap chinese goods
you've grown accustomed to buying at Ikea, the price increases. we dont
manufacture anymore, we import. we outsource... why hasnt our demand decreased?
seems like china needs the oil, lets sell them Iraq

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
    #7240638 - 07/30/07 05:33 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Its a good plan. Not sure if it will swing that many new recruits but at least those wanting to join will get a bit extra for their troubles. 20k Plus army pay for a couple of years will give you a decent start.

Only problem i see with it is the long fucking contract. SEVEN YEARS? what the fuck? Even the French foreign legion will cut you lose after 4. Those 7 will probably not be active duty but i think the prospect of it will put many people off. They should offer short term contracts imo.

If i was 6-10 years younger and an American i would join up for sure. I enjoyed my army service.

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

Re: U.S. Army Offering $20,000 Bonus for "Quick Recruits" Who Ship to Training Within a Month [Re: Scarfmeister]
    #7240960 - 07/30/07 07:12 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Scarfmeister said:
Only problem i see with it is the long fucking contract. SEVEN YEARS? what the fuck?

Every American military contract (no matter with what branch) is automatically pretty much for seven years. Sometimes they cut you loose early (if they don't need you anymore). Sometimes they make you stay longer (as has happened in Iraq with certain people....stop-loss it's called).

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7240968 - 07/30/07 07:14 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

IME, they are 8 year contracts with you selecting anywhere from 3-6 active duty, and the remaining years are spent as a reserve if needed.. aka if they ever reinstated the draft youd be the first to go.

ex.

my contract was for 3 years, with 5 as reserve if needed.. but you dont have to do any drilling or anything during those 5 years. you're just on the mailing list.

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#7240990 - 07/30/07 07:20 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Banez said:
the remaining years are spent as a reserve if needed... aka if they ever reinstated the draft youd be the first to go.

the reservists went, the reservists are still going, there's still no draft in place.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#7240992 - 07/30/07 07:20 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

please ask why the reservists go first

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

#7240997 - 07/30/07 07:22 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
it's not worked out for the US public. it's certainly working out for someone. why do you think we're also taking an interest in Chechnya, Afganistan, Pakistan and Iran, it's the routing of oil... not just the aquisition

Iran is not exactly very friendly to us...so routing oil through their territory is not going to happen. Does the U.S. have an interest in oil? Of course. Oil is the engine of our economy. Do oil concerns play a part in our meddling in the Middle East? Of course.

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
so we have the right, they do not?

Do I blame China for starting to assert itself on the world stage in order to get the natural resources it needs for a huge and modern population? No. I never said that they didn't have a right to pursue their self-interest. I am merely stating the obvious fact that nations in the present and throughout history have attempted to do things which will benefit themselves, increase their power, and decrease the power of rival nations. We do it and other nations do it too. International politics is not social work.

We as a nation must do what we can to maintain our wealth and our power for as long as is possible.

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
lets suppose china doesnt get their oil, those wonderfuly cheap chinese goods you've grown accustomed to buying at Ikea

Now that hurt.

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7241007 - 07/30/07 07:24 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:

no, you become a different kind of reserve, the only way for you to get called up, is with a draft.. like your not actually still training or receiving a check from the military.. your just first on a draft list.

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

#7241010 - 07/30/07 07:25 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Banez said:
IME, they are 8 year contracts with you selecting anywhere from 3-6 active duty, and the remaining years are spent as a reserve if needed..

And during the Iraq war when our military has been stretched thin those "reserves" (the Army Reserve, the National Guard, and the Individual Ready Reserves) have been called upon time and time again to provide troops. So even if you are in "reserve" you could still very well likely be called up to go to Iraq or Afghanistan..

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7241017 - 07/30/07 07:28 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

read the reply right above your previous one.. maybe that will address a stupid statement that shouldnt have been made.

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#7241031 - 07/30/07 07:33 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:
Iran is not exactly very friendly to us...so routing oil through their territory is not going to happen.

it's already happening.

Quote:

Do I blame China for starting to assert itself on the world stage in order to get the natural resources it needs for a huge and modern population? No.

oil and steel is what had us involved with japan, the reason for their 'preemptive' strike on pearl harbor...

Quote:

We as a nation must do what we can to maintain our wealth and our power for as long as is possible.

and buying foreign oil does this how? developing alternatives will do this, it puts us a few steps ahead, supposed the oil is depleted in 15 years

Quote:

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
lets suppose china doesnt get their oil, those wonderfuly cheap chinese goods you've grown accustomed to buying at Ikea

Now that hurt.

catch 22, prices are going up, your lifestyle will suffer and it doesnt matter
what we do, that's simply the way it is until people decide it's time for a
change, change comes at a price.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

#7241038 - 07/30/07 07:36 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

and buying foreign oil does this how? developing alternatives will do this, it puts us a few steps ahead, supposed the oil is depleted in 15 years

I agree. We must do what we can to ween ourselves from dependency upon foreign energy sources. I eagerly await the day when we can the tell the Arabs to go fuck themselves because we won't need their oil anymore.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#7241043 - 07/30/07 07:39 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Banez said:
Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:

no, you become a different kind of reserve, the only way for you to get called up, is with a draft.. like your not actually still training or receiving a check from the military.. your just first on a draft list.

correct, you become an 'inactive' reservist, unfortunately you're still property
of Uncle Sam for the final 5. Anyone with combat experience or specialized
skills is also called up, theres also been plenty of infantry recalled

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#7241052 - 07/30/07 07:41 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:
We must do what we can to ween ourselves from dependency upon foreign energy sources. I eagerly await the day when we can the tell the Arabs to go fuck themselves because we won't need their oil anymore.

"if you cut the head from a snake, it will die" -Shakir Abdul Amir

OfflineDr_Bloothumb
WTFWJD
Male

Loc: IL
    #7900569 - 01/19/08 05:48 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I especially like the part about "the traditionally low pay". I relate to that completely!!!
:banghead:

--------------------
Guinness- It's what's for dinner!

Offlinedisturbed
Poutine andSodomy
Male User Gallery

Loc: O-H-I-O
Re: U.S. Army Offering $20,000 Bonus for "Quick Recruits" Who Ship to Training Within a Month [Re: Dr_Bloothumb]
    #7900640 - 01/19/08 07:15 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I'm from dayton (right near cincinnati) and I'm pretty sure the QS bonus is nation wide. I'm not sure if you get it in a lump sum though, I think they may spread it out over 4 years. If anyone is serious about joining make sure you get everything they tell you in writing, I'm not saying the recruiter will outright lie to you but they will put things in the best light possible and possibly mislead you. Its really not all that bad of a deal if you're planning on going to college since that will paid for, you can sock some money away since you don't have to pay for rent or food (and everything you make while in Iraq is tax free).

I just finished up my application to Army Officer Candidate school and I should be heading out around march for officer basic I think. I couldn't afford to live on an enlisted recruits salary but you make decent money starting out as a 2nd Lieutenant. Unfortunately they don't give bonuses to officers it sucks ass. My Uncle is a 3 star General so that cut through all of the bullshit for and guarnteed me the job I wanted.

--------------------

11/25/07 first time entrant ban lottery champion

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale