Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinerubixcubies
porch monkey ferlyfe
Male User Gallery

Loc: ottawa on
YOU'RE NOTHING SPECIAL
    #7239117 - 07/30/07 05:32 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

neither am i. it occurs to me that all problems we seem to have can be traced back to our belief that humans are something special. i see it evidnced in language. unfit for humans unfit for human consumption.

is this to imply that our needs for shelter really exceed those of animals.

and now weve gotten back some people to the idea of animals as our equals. but animals are not people too. people are animals too

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Crown and Heart
Re: YOU'RE NOTHING SPECIAL [Re: rubixcubies]
    #7239132 - 07/30/07 05:55 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I have never been partial to misanthropy. It's a pretty defeatist way of living if you ask me. Even in the spirit of existentialism, the human can simply shoot an animal dead. Thus he's better than the animal. But I believe humanity's ascension beyond the beast goes well beyond darwinistic might, but it is what man and woman are capable of by their own virtue. Humans can save a million animals if they so choose. Animals, however, cannot save a million humans.

--------------------

"Have you found the beginning, then, that you are looking for the end? You see, the end will be where the beginning is. Congratulations to the one who stands at the beginning: that one will know the end and will not taste death."

Offlinerubixcubies
porch monkey ferlyfe
Male User Gallery

Loc: ottawa on
Re: YOU'RE NOTHING SPECIAL [Re: Basilides]
    #7239197 - 07/30/07 07:00 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

but cant you just shoot a human dead?

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #7239213 - 07/30/07 07:19 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Funny, I see it the exact opposite way: all problems I see can be traced back to our animal ancestry. Pain, fear, aggression, and favoring our own species, are all things that we share with other animals. What makes us special is the huge neocortex of the human brain, which together with language makes it possible for us to transcend our animal minds and be more spiritual.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: YOU'RE NOTHING SPECIAL [Re: Rhizoid]
    #7239231 - 07/30/07 07:38 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Rhizoid said:
Funny, I see it the exact opposite way: all problems I see can be traced back to our animal ancestry. Pain, fear, aggression, and favoring our own species, are all things that we share with other animals. What makes us special is the huge neocortex of the human brain, which together with language makes it possible for us to transcend our animal minds and be more spiritual.

:thumbup:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineBoots
Disenchanted
Male

Loc: Northwood, Ohio, U.S.A.
Re: YOU'RE NOTHING SPECIAL [Re: fireworks_god]
    #7239315 - 07/30/07 08:51 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Ditto, Rhizoid.

OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Crown and Heart
    #7239329 - 07/30/07 08:56 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

rubixcubies said:
but cant you just shoot a human dead?

You can. But then you go to jail or potentially take the risk of harming yourself when the other party chooses to defend himself. Likewise, societies and empires have longed to expand and subjugate others, but they are ultimately stopped short by a humanity that desires order, not reigns of terror and discord. The animal kingdom is anarchy and abandon, and while domesticated animals are lovely sentient creatures, and sometimes cute as a bug, the wild animal is hardened with violence, ridden with disease and consumed with suspicion upon all other creatures. This "we're all animals" mumbo-jumbo might resonate some sense if humanity was unable to function as a society, as a single organism. Like the much of the animal kingdom, humanity has murderers, rapists and madmen - but we remove them from our midst and chastize them for acting like animals. We are not animals - when people behave like animals, it is their own mad regression. Animals, however, are capable at times of transcending the lot and taking on human qualities. Like the brilliant gorillas in captivity who have learned how to paint and communicate with people in sign language, this was made possible by isolating the beast from an environment of total break down.

Don't get me wrong - I love animals, but there is no redeeming or examplatory value in how wild animals behave as a result of their inability to function collectively.

--------------------

"Have you found the beginning, then, that you are looking for the end? You see, the end will be where the beginning is. Congratulations to the one who stands at the beginning: that one will know the end and will not taste death."

OfflineTameMe
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7239424 - 07/30/07 09:39 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

spe·cial /ˈspɛʃəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[spesh-uhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. of a distinct or particular kind or character: a special kind of key.
2. being a particular one; particular, individual, or certain: You'd better call the special number.
3. pertaining or peculiar to a particular person, thing, instance, etc.; distinctive; unique: the special features of a plan.
4. having a specific or particular function, purpose, etc.: a special messenger.
5. distinguished or different from what is ordinary or usual: a special occasion; to fix something special.
6. extraordinary; exceptional, as in amount or degree; especial: special importance.
7. being such in an exceptional degree; particularly valued: a special friend.
–noun 8. a special person or thing.
9. a train used for a particular purpose, occasion, or the like.
10. a special edition of a newspaper.
11. Theater. a spotlight reserved for a particular area, property, actor, etc.: Give me the coffin special.
12. a temporary, arbitrary reduction in the price of regularly stocked goods, esp. food; a particularly worthwhile offer or price: The special this week is on sirloin steaks.
13. Television. a single program not forming part of a regular series.

We are deffinetly special. Infact I believe everything to be special. Just because of the fact that I have memorized where 26 different keys are on this keyboard and can type 50+ words a min with out looking at them and then click a button and communicate with a being (that could be thousands of miles away) similar to me is proof that we are pretty damn special

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: YOU'RE NOTHING SPECIAL [Re: Rhizoid] * 1
    #7239662 - 07/30/07 11:40 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Rhizoid said:

For most people the neocortex has made them much more neurotic rather than spiritual.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineKinematics
coyote vision

Loc: Colorado
Re: YOU'RE NOTHING SPECIAL [Re: Icelander]
    #7239665 - 07/30/07 11:42 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I made a similar post a few weeks ago.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/7122651

Offlineblackguy
Tourist
 User Gallery

#7239692 - 07/30/07 11:49 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Ray Kurzweil predicts that by 2040 CPU speeds will reach that of the mature human brain. Even today IBM has successfully simulated stimulation on many parts of the brain (that is simulated greater than 10^12 interacting neurons). When computer AI projects become successful, will these conscious entities be special? Yeah, I think so. If you think about it, we humans have "extra baggage" from our animal ancestors (violence, rage, etc) that is coded deep in our genes. Artifical intelligence would be a pure, projected intelligence without this shit. If anything, they would be more special than us I would think.

--------------------
"Man is evolving...but it's difficult to see his progress with a Western perception of time. The Hindus think of time in much larger segments. They watch the hour hand of the clock while we in the West are preoccupied with the second hand."
-David Lynch

OfflineTameMe
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: YOU'RE NOTHING SPECIAL [Re: blackguy]
    #7240259 - 07/30/07 02:53 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

the creator is less special than the created?

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: YOU'RE NOTHING SPECIAL [Re: blackguy]
    #7240282 - 07/30/07 03:00 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

blackguy said:
Ray Kurzweil predicts that by 2040 CPU speeds will reach that of the mature human brain. Even today IBM has successfully simulated stimulation on many parts of the brain (that is simulated greater than 10^12 interacting neurons). When computer AI projects become successful, will these conscious entities be special? Yeah, I think so. If you think about it, we humans have "extra baggage" from our animal ancestors (violence, rage, etc) that is coded deep in our genes. Artifical intelligence would be a pure, projected intelligence without this shit. If anything, they would be more special than us I would think.

Aren't these computers being programed by animals filled with rage and violence (and don't forget love and joy)? Won't this effect these artificial intelligences.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

#7240364 - 07/30/07 03:32 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

For most people the neocortex has made them much more neurotic rather than spiritual.

I hope you're not talking about me.  :shiftyeyes:

--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: YOU'RE NOTHING SPECIAL [Re: Lion]
    #7240385 - 07/30/07 03:37 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

He said neurotic, not paranoid.  :lol:

OfflineWScott
´ ɑ `▽ ᑲᓇᑕ
 User Gallery

Loc: Nacada
    #7240411 - 07/30/07 03:48 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

No one is special because everyone is equally necessary is the machine of life (on earth).

--------------------

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
Re: YOU'RE NOTHING SPECIAL [Re: WScott]
    #7240622 - 07/30/07 05:24 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

50/50, but no one is important, as everyone is valuable :crazy:

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
Re: YOU'RE NOTHING SPECIAL [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #7240648 - 07/30/07 05:37 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

BlueCoyote said:
50/50, but no one is important, as everyone is valuable :crazy:

Now that's what I call relativity coyote :lol:

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

OfflinejustAkid
Member of myCulture

Loc: The Present
    #7241641 - 07/30/07 10:49 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

This is exactly is what is wrong with liberal Americans today. They have no pride. No pride in being a human being. They would rather give up their life for some goddamned animal. They see no value in human life.

I shouldn't have to mention how it has become so politically incorrect to shout, "America is the best", to take pride in the good aspects of American culture. And we do this because we fear offending other people of other cultures who are not the best, who do not dominate and control the world as we do. We are so concerned with the immature high-school attitude of wanting others of other cultures to like us (seeking popularity) that we downplay our own greatness so we can make them feel adequate so they will like us.

Those people who claim that human beings are nothing special or people who claim that they want no greatness of themselves are incompetent morons incapable of achieving any greatness for themselves, so they must claim that life is not about money or social status and that human beings are nothing but animals and everyone is like them so they will not feel the shame of being inadequate and dominated by those who are indeed superior.

Feeling special is solely a human characteristic and comes from being the best; the best mentally, physically, and financially. You must feel special and important to be the best and you must be the best because the feelings were necessary and are necessary for survival. Those feelings of importance drive us to be the best. It is the circular, self-feeding nature of idea and action. The best survive.

Now I know many here are firm believers in evolution and natural selection, yet you also support this ridiculous idea of equality, that no man is better than another (not to be confused with the idea that everyone deserves equal rights). Well I hate to break it to you but natural selection and Nature Herself will tell you that the best survive. And since there indeed is a "best" there can be no "equal". Equality is an idea of inept fools who seek nothing more than to assert themselves as equals among men who dominate them in every aspect of life.

--------------------
Trust thyself.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: YOU'RE NOTHING SPECIAL [Re: justAkid]
    #7241684 - 07/30/07 11:00 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Life is a serious as you want it to be.

nuff said.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder