Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleStonerguy
I smoke penis
Male

Loc: Lost
Headshop selling pot.
    #7230942 - 07/27/07 03:28 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

http://goupstate.com/article/20070727/NEWS/707270365/1044

By CHRISTINE BOUSH, christine.boush@shj.com
Published July 27, 2007

Magic Dragon pipe shop owners, feeling persecuted, to be in regard to a Spartanburg County ordinance, passed July 16 and effective immediately, that broadened the scope of the county's paraphernalia law to regulate not just the sale or possession of controlled substances, but any "instrument" or "device" that can be used in conjunction with the illegal substances.

The wording excludes cigarette papers and tobacco pipes but specifically targets water pipes "designed for use or intended for use with marijuana, hashish, hashish oil, heroin, crack cocaine or cocaine."

The glass water pipes sold at The Magic Dragon showcase fierce dragons, delicately crafted roses and an abundance of color.

The Curreys expressed fierce indignation last week that anyone would say the products they sold were for the consumption of drugs. The Herald-Journal did not speak to the Curreys after their arrest.

"My colored pipes and water pipes are for herbs and tobacco," Kat Currey said last week. "The whole thing really aggravates me. I based my business on pipes, and these aren't drug pipes, but they crucify them."

Currey said last week that when she heard the ordinance had passed unanimously, she started wondering when she would get a knock on her door.

"It seems what they are trying to say is that they are going after pipes because people can smoke drugs out of them," Currey said, days before her arrest. "The thing is, those same people can make those items out of toilet paper rolls, Pepsi bottles and Coke cans. Are we going to start going after Coke and Pepsi for the same reasons?"

Of the legality of their business and the idea they might be forced to stop selling their pipes, Currey said last week, "I heard about the ordinance on the news, and I have a friend who attends county council meetings and he told me," Currey said.

"I've read the federal law, and I keep it legal. You can't even see our pipes when you walk in the store because they are in two separate rooms, and no one under 18 can even view the pipes."

Currey then said the amount of tobacco and legal herbs she sells matches the number of pipes she sells.

"These glass pipes are really misunderstood," Currey said. "We don't sell the kind of pipes people use for serious drugs."

Addressing the Curreys' concerns last week, sheriff's office spokesman Johnson said the ordinance was not intended to target sellers of pipes used for tobacco.

Johnson said a glass water pipe doesn't become a bong until it carries the aroma of burnt marijuana or has residue - unless it's on the person of a known drug user.

"The primary focus is on people with prior convictions," Johnson said of the ordinance. "It's another approach to being able to do something about street-level crime."

On Thursday night, Johnson said the undercover drug investigation that led to the Curreys' arrest pre-dated the passage of the new ordinance and was essentially unrelated to it.

Johnson said he first learned of the undercover drug investigation that centered on The Magic Dragon on Wednesday evening.

"Everything I do is above reproach," Currey said days before her arrest. "I've been worried about being misunderstood."

Johnson said a charge of distribution with a half-mile of a school will also be considered for the couple.

Although not the brightest idea, I knew this couple and they were good peoples. Keep on fighting Kat and Brian.

--------------------
yawn...
SG

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinerajking
Acidize YourLife
Re: Headshop selling pot. [Re: Stonerguy]
    #7230993 - 07/27/07 03:47 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

"herbs and tobacco" :p

InvisibleStonerguy
I smoke penis
Male

Loc: Lost
Re: Headshop selling pot. [Re: Stonerguy]
    #7231027 - 07/27/07 03:57 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

What makes it even worse Im pretty sure that this is going to end the glass buisness in our town.

--------------------
yawn...
SG

OfflineTHEBats
FuturePsychopharmacologist
Male

Loc: Florida
Re: Headshop selling pot. [Re: rajking]
    #7231041 - 07/27/07 04:00 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Im sry but noone smokes just tobacco out of say a 3 ft multi-colored bong. Would be funny to buy one brand new and have a smoke in the park (as long as your city/state doesn't having in anti public spaces smoking laws or whatever). Could they do anything if the only substance smoked out of it was tobacco?

Offlineweephar
The Consultant

Loc: USA
Re: Headshop selling pot. [Re: THEBats]
    #7231423 - 07/27/07 05:39 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

There was a video made on blumpy.org like 5 years back that was an ad for a headshop website...the video was made by students at my college it might still be on the site, I am not sure. Anyway, in the video, they show shots of people using a bong in the park and on the street. In the end of the video, they show a cop come over and look at the bong and then it ends. In the faq for the site, the creator says that the police did stop them and look at the bong but when it was determined that only tobacco was smoked out of it, the cop gave the bong back...so at least in rochester, ny or wherever this video was filmed, you can legally smoke tobacco outside out of a glass bong.

Also, why does this thread say headshop selling pot, when it doesn't talk about that anywhere in the thread?

--------------------
Life is good! (and it is also a journey)

Free Rudd!

OfflineMr_DeeMsTer
Mystic

Re: Headshop selling pot. [Re: weephar]
    #7231433 - 07/27/07 05:44 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

theyre sold as tobacco use only. so yea, you can do whatever the fuck you want. go somewhere that allows tobacco to be smoked and bring a fuckin bong. they cant do anything, you arent breaking any laws.

Offlineeyesoftheworld
ૐ नमः शिवाय
Male User Gallery

Re: Headshop selling pot. [Re: Mr_DeeMsTer]
    #7231632 - 07/27/07 07:03 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Mmmmmm, a nice old bong rip of tobaccy  :scat:

--------------------
:deemsters:

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Headshop selling pot. [Re: weephar]
    #7233868 - 07/28/07 02:07 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

weephar said:Also, why does this thread say headshop selling pot, when it doesn't talk about that anywhere in the thread?

Because "Stonerguy" can't cut and paste right.

Here is the properly cut-and-pasted story.

Quote:

Magic Dragon pipe shop owners, feeling persecuted, to be prosecuted

By CHRISTINE BOUSH, christine.boush@shj.com
Published July 27, 2007

The owners of The Magic Dragon have been complaining about a new county ordinance banning the water pipes they sell. Now, Kat and Brian Currey have been arrested, accused of selling the drugs to fill those pipes.

According to Maj. Dan Johnson of the Spartanburg County Sheriff's Office, the couple were arrested Thursday night at their store at 8055 Warren H. Abernathy Highway, and both were charged with distribution of marijuana and possession with intent to distribute marijuana.

Store searched, marijuana found

"The arrests are the result of an undercover investigation that has been going on for a couple of months," Johnson said. "Undercover officers made three controlled buys over that period."

Johnson said a search of the store during the arrest turned up marijuana, resulting in the possession with intent to distribute charge.

The couple was interviewed by the Herald-Journal several times in the last week in regard to a Spartanburg County ordinance, passed July 16 and effective immediately, that broadened the scope of the county's paraphernalia law to regulate not just the sale or possession of controlled substances, but any "instrument" or "device" that can be used in conjunction with the illegal substances.

The wording excludes cigarette papers and tobacco pipes but specifically targets water pipes "designed for use or intended for use with marijuana, hashish, hashish oil, heroin, crack cocaine or cocaine."

The glass water pipes sold at The Magic Dragon showcase fierce dragons, delicately crafted roses and an abundance of color.

The Curreys expressed fierce indignation last week that anyone would say the products they sold were for the consumption of drugs. The Herald-Journal did not speak to the Curreys after their arrest.

"My colored pipes and water pipes are for herbs and tobacco," Kat Currey said last week. "The whole thing really aggravates me. I based my business on pipes, and these aren't drug pipes, but they crucify them."

Currey said last week that when she heard the ordinance had passed unanimously, she started wondering when she would get a knock on her door.

"It seems what they are trying to say is that they are going after pipes because people can smoke drugs out of them," Currey said, days before her arrest. "The thing is, those same people can make those items out of toilet paper rolls, Pepsi bottles and Coke cans. Are we going to start going after Coke and Pepsi for the same reasons?"

Of the legality of their business and the idea they might be forced to stop selling their pipes, Currey said last week, "I heard about the ordinance on the news, and I have a friend who attends county council meetings and he told me," Currey said.

"I've read the federal law, and I keep it legal. You can't even see our pipes when you walk in the store because they are in two separate rooms, and no one under 18 can even view the pipes."

Currey then said the amount of tobacco and legal herbs she sells matches the number of pipes she sells.

"These glass pipes are really misunderstood," Currey said. "We don't sell the kind of pipes people use for serious drugs."

Addressing the Curreys' concerns last week, sheriff's office spokesman Johnson said the ordinance was not intended to target sellers of pipes used for tobacco.

Johnson said a glass water pipe doesn't become a bong until it carries the aroma of burnt marijuana or has residue - unless it's on the person of a known drug user.

"The primary focus is on people with prior convictions," Johnson said of the ordinance. "It's another approach to being able to do something about street-level crime."

On Thursday night, Johnson said the undercover drug investigation that led to the Curreys' arrest pre-dated the passage of the new ordinance and was essentially unrelated to it.

Johnson said he first learned of the undercover drug investigation that centered on The Magic Dragon on Wednesday evening.

"Everything I do is above reproach," Currey said days before her arrest. "I've been worried about being misunderstood."

Johnson said a charge of distribution with a half-mile of a school will also be considered for the couple.

OfflineHermaphroTIDE
Stranger
Female

Re: Headshop selling pot. [Re: fastfred]
    #7234512 - 07/28/07 06:05 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

STONERGUY, you know who this is, and I'm going to freaking kill Kat next time I see her. I loved the MD. It was just getting going, I leave for two months, and this is what happens. I didn't know it was going to be this serious. FUCK SOUTH CAROLINA. GOD DAMN IT.

What I'm most upset about is all the problems and struggles in their life as it is, and the fact that they were just about to get the hookah bar going... everything might've worked out. Damn.

Edited by HermaphroTIDE (07/28/07 06:11 PM)

OfflineHermaphroTIDE
Stranger
Female

Re: Headshop selling pot. [Re: HermaphroTIDE]
    #7234519 - 07/28/07 06:06 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I am proud of her and Brian for keeping their heads up and defending their business. I like the bit she told about smoking out of other ordinary devices... that's my girl.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale