Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleStickyWater
Stranger
hmmm... So I gotta do something...
    #7232645 - 07/28/07 03:13 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Edited by StickyWater (04/29/08 02:36 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBoneMan
Shrimpin ain't easy
Male

Loc: new new england
Re: hmmm... So I gotta do something... [Re: StickyWater]
    #7232712 - 07/28/07 03:55 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I don't know man, I'm stumped. I have the same problem. But hey at least you have those 5 friends. I have one friend that I could hang around with but I don't because he smokes crack all the time.

What I've been told is that in order to develop social skills you gotta force yourself into uncomfortable situations and interact with strangers. Eventually you become desensitized I guess.

Making new friends is a task you have to work really hard at. They're not going to come to you. You have to find someone interesting to talk to and prove to them that you're interesting too if you're ever going to have a shot at building a friendship.

Its really slow going, but that teaches you not to ever become a hermit again and have to start all over. After highschool and college, if you're not working then chances are you're gonna become a hermit. It happened to me.

If you're not willing to go wayy out of your comfort zone then well, you're fucked. Get used to the lonely life.

InvisibleStickyWater
Stranger
Re: hmmm... So I gotta do something... [Re: BoneMan]
    #7232736 - 07/28/07 04:09 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Edited by StickyWater (04/29/08 02:36 PM)

OfflineFollowTheMusic
Stranger
Re: hmmm... So I gotta do something... [Re: StickyWater]
    #7233690 - 07/28/07 03:11 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

My core advice is this: your whole post is about how you're not satisfied with your routine. So address the root problem and CHANGE something, anything. Just do it, give it a chance, and then worry about whether it's the best possible change.

That said, here's some suggestions: approach new people with the mindset of drawing out the most interesting things about them, rather than assuming they suck. Even if most people do suck, doesn't matter. Maybe they need a shake-up too. One of two things will happen; either you'll find out they are interesting after all, or you'll at least learn to interact with different types. If they're boring, use them to meet new people, don't just give up. Find a bar across town where you can strike out with girls and generally be awkward, with no repercussions. I dunno if you want a girl or not, but singles clubs can help you meet people. Who cares if it's cheesy? You're just learning to deal with people.

If you want to know interesting people, you have to be interesting. You gave like one hobby that you don't even care about enough to take a class. Find out what happened to your enthusiasm. Get a new hobby or something.

If you really can't deal with others right now, find an activity you can do alone, and that gets you out of the house. Rock climbing, hiking, biking, whatever -- man, you just gotta pick something and do it.

OK, hopefully at least one of those sentences should help :smile:

OfflineSCleROTiUM_LICK
ResearchedFiction Writer

Re: hmmm... So I gotta do something... [Re: FollowTheMusic]
    #7235130 - 07/29/07 12:05 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

So you appreciate fresh air and natural light but you haven't left the house because you are tired of your friends?

Quote:

I mean those are my two options, chill at home, or hang out with the same people

Nah, man. You can go do things for yourself. Find a place to hike or just a cool park where you can sit a spell. Read a book. Be nice to yourself. You'll meet people in the process, but if not you're still being good to yourself.

You'll eventually find a job and that will put you in contact with new people. For now, just be a friend to yourself and get outside.

--------------------

OfflineSCleROTiUM_LICK
ResearchedFiction Writer

Re: hmmm... So I gotta do something... [Re: SCleROTiUM_LICK]
    #7235134 - 07/29/07 12:06 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Also, volunteer. It looks good on a resume and you also meet people.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being