Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineTurntableJunky
Ethno Grower
Male

Loc: Sydney
Re: a letter from hunter s. thompson to tom wolfe [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #7229361 - 07/27/07 03:14 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Thats fucking brilliant :lol:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: a letter from hunter s. thompson to tom wolfe [Re: TurntableJunky]
    #7229443 - 07/27/07 04:14 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved

I think this was one of Hunter's first real 'gonzo style' reportings- on an assignment to cover the Kentucky Derby What's funny is that the magazine he was writing for was a new sports mag., and had no idea they weren't going to get a 'normal' story from Hunter.

My recolection from interviews, comports w/ wikipedia: "As the deadline approached, and with his article still not done, Thompson resorted to sending the editors pages ripped out of his notebook which contributed to the highly subjective style."

The full article (link at bottom) doesn't include any mention of any horses, placings, or really anything at all having to do with the race. Imagine being the editor of a magazine and getting this story.

Quote:

It was Saturday morning, the day of the Big Race, and we were having breakfast in a plastic hamburger palace called the Fish-Meat Village...Beyond drink and lack of sleep, our only real problem at that point was the question of access to the clubhouse. Finally, we decided to go ahead and steal two passes, if necessary, rather than miss that part of the action. This was the last coherent decision we were able to make for the next forty-eight hours. From that point on--almost from the very moment we started out to the track--we lost all control of events and spent the rest of the weekend churning around in a sea of drunken horrors. My notes and recollections from Derby Day are somewhat scrambled.
But now, looking at the big red notebook I carried all through that scene, I see more or less what happened. The book itself is somewhat mangled and bent; some of the pages are torn, others are shriveled and stained by what appears to be whiskey, but taken as a whole, with sporadic memory flashes, the notes seem to tell the story. To wit:

Quote:

The rest of the day blurs into madness. The rest of that night too. And all the next day and night. Such horrible things occurred that I can't bring myself even to think about them now, much less put them down in print. I was lucky to get out at all. One of my clearest memories of that vicious time is Ralph being attacked by one of my old friends in the billiard room of the Pendennis Club in downtown Louisville on Saturday night. The man had ripped his own shirt open to the waist before deciding that Ralph was after his wife. No blows were struck, but the emotional effects were massive. Then, as a sort of final horror, Steadman put his fiendish pen to work and tried to patch things up by doing a little sketch of the girl he'd been accused of hustling. That finished us in the Pedennis.

FULL STORY

InvisibleIn(di)go
People of the sun.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cologne, Germany
Re: a letter from hunter s. thompson to tom wolfe [Re: StrandedVoyager]
    #7229666 - 07/27/07 07:44 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

StrandedVoyager said:
Man... that was fucking amazing.

indeed it was

--------------------

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: a letter from hunter s. thompson to tom wolfe [Re: In(di)go]
    #7231876 - 07/27/07 08:25 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

"When the going gets weird"....
....The wierd get action figures made of them against their will, apparently.

Allow me to explain. (a bit)
The figure you see to your right is Uncle Duke, a character from the 'Doonesbury' cartoon strips. Now, Uncle Duke is based on infamous Gonzo journalist Hunter S Thompson, writer of 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' and many other fine works. Thompson is apparently none to pleased with 'Doonesbury' creator G. B. Trudeau over this characterisation. (wouldn't want to be in his shoes facing the wrath of the good Doktor!) So, this is Hunter S Thompson, but not officially. And it's a toy. Hence, a bootleg!
But what a wonderful and unusual one! The very concept never ceases to amuse me! I will someday own one of these fine items, but not today. No money to throw about at the moment:( Oh well....you might be better off though, so you buy one! (see below!)

OfflineSiekoaktiv
version 2.0
Male

Re: a letter from hunter s. thompson to tom wolfe [Re: johnm214]
    #7231917 - 07/27/07 08:39 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I like this quote;

"Richard Nixon has never been one of my favorite people anyway. For years I've regarded his existence as a monument to all the rancid genes and broken chromosomes that corrupt the possibilities of the American Dream; he was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena and the style of a poison toad. The Nixon I remembered was absolutely humorless; I couldn't imagine him laughing at anything except maybe a paraplegic who wanted to vote Democratic but couldn't quite reach the lever on the voting machine."

--------------------
I'm in need of a sterile sporeprint, if anyone wants to do a trade for some seeds or something, or maybe just for free if you have a lot of them............. i'd really appreciate it :mushroom2:

NuggetPorch said - "YES! YES!!!! Coaster its Faint, but its fucking there YOU see it!!! Perhaps we are both on some sort of unusual wave length associated with unusual neuro-transmitters, mind expansion white light, or something we can not even begin to understand or fathom to conceive because it is a gift of insight or a curse given to us by powers beyond our control, something we are not meant to know."

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

North Spore Shop: Bulk Substrate