Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibletruffleupagus
Male User Gallery

(Puffball) Should I pick or let it grow? [pics now!]
    #7226115 - 07/26/07 01:20 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I just noticed that I have a nice medium sized puffball out in my front yard. I'd say it's probably about the size of a fist. I guess I can plan on getting these every year because I ended up with several popping up in the same area last year. I tried frying up some slices of one last year too. It was actually pretty delicious.

So now I'm wondering, should I pick this one? Or would I be better off leaving it be and letting it go through it's cycle? I think that way more spores will be dispersed and I can probably anticipate seeing more. What do you guys think?

Also, how long do you think it's safe to keep wild edibles (this one in particular) in the refrigerator before tossing? I'd be putting it in a tupperware container of course.

Edited by TDOTupagus (07/26/07 09:15 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Loc: mexicoelcentrodelconocimi...
Trusted Identifier
Re: (Puffball) Should I pick or let it grow? [Re: truffleupagus]
    #7226421 - 07/26/07 02:24 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

when puffball begging to produce spores in not good taste if you plant to let then reprocuce naturally let it open it will realice spores you can help out put it sometingh for the mushrroms to eat dead grass or mulch o hay could help if you coulp post a picture also help to see what kind of puffball are we toking about it was in the grass then put a bit of caw dung that is composted and spread all the spóres all you can , all my best

--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #7226709 - 07/26/07 03:27 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

truffleupagus said:
So now I'm wondering, should I pick this one? Or would I be better off leaving it be and letting it go through it's cycle? I think that way more spores will be dispersed and I can probably anticipate seeing more. What do you guys think?

I would pick it. If you are finding them in your area, I have no doubt there are more, which you have not, and will not find. This of course means, that plenty of spores will be floating around whether or not you pick and eat the mushroom. Keep in mind, however, that the spores may or may not germinate, depending on if they find a suitable substrate or not.

Quote:

truffleupagus said:
Also, how long do you think it's safe to keep wild edibles (this one in particular) in the refrigerator before tossing? I'd be putting it in a tupperware container of course.

It depends, a couple of days in the fridge is fine. Each species will decline in quality at different rates. Do not seal fresh mushrooms inside of plastic, it causes rotting far quicker. It is best to store fresh mushrooms in a paper bag, or at least, wrapped in a paper towel, and stored in a plastic container in the fridge, so that excess moisture is absorbed, rather than collecting on the mushroom and causing decay.

Lastly, be sure of your identification before eating any wild mushrooms.

--------------------

Invisibletruffleupagus
Male User Gallery

Re: (Puffball) Should I pick or let it grow? [Re: CureCat]
    #7227737 - 07/26/07 09:14 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks CureCat and cactu!  Here's a couple pics of the one I found today:

And here's the ones I found in the same area last year:

I had identified the ones from last year as Calvatia Cyathiformis.  And my first impression was that today's puffball was the same thing.  But after comparing the pictures I'm not sure now.  The ones from last year are much darker.  Even still, I'm pretty sure that all puffballs are edible as long as they're immature and fluffy white inside, no?

What you suggested, CureCat, about there being a bunch more in the area got me thinking.  I live across the street from a guy who has a bunch of land and about a dozen horses.  Hmmm....  Could that be the source possibly?

Believe it or not I have no paper bags.  We always get plastic.:grin:  But I wrapped it in paper towels before putting it in a container like you advised.  I'll probably eat it Saturday at the earliest and Monday at the latest.

OfflinePinheadX
Stranger thanyou
Male User Gallery

Loc: TX Gulf Coast
    #7227954 - 07/26/07 10:19 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think puffballs are necessarily dung lovers. I find them in dirt, especially disturbed earth.

The brown ones I found were actually growing in the mortar cracks of a brick wall.

--------------------
If you want to find psilocybin in species that are not yet known to be psychoactive, you should do chemical tests. That way you won't get sick and die all the time.
- Alan Rockefeller

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
- Philip K. Dick

Invisibletruffleupagus
Male User Gallery

Re: (Puffball) Should I pick or let it grow? [Re: PinheadX]
    #7227981 - 07/26/07 10:29 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, it's not like the one I found in my front yard was growing on dung or anything. They just seem to pop up in the middle of the bare spots in the lawn.

But I still can't help but wonder what treasures might be lurking in my neighbor's field across the way.

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Loc: mexicoelcentrodelconocimi...
Trusted Identifier
    #7228027 - 07/26/07 10:48 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

yeah thas what i obseve whe cow use a field many mushromms also apear not only dung lover and what i have observe is dung help maintain some bacteria or microflora in the soil also they have to eat sometingh so a bit if organic mater as hay or horse dung coul help there are some lycoperdon that dont have this relationshipm some are from the forest but the ones of the grass like calvatia have someting like agaricus with dung and organic materr in the soiland of course bacteria, chao all my best calvatia tend to be huge mushrooms hope your doo all my best

--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #7229468 - 07/27/07 06:47 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Yes, those certainly fit C. cyathiformis, good ID. Indeed, they will be good eating it they are pure white in the center. Species can vary a LOT, even just from one fruiting to another from the same patch. Some P. ostreatus in my back yard have produced mushrooms of a different colour every time they have fruited.

--------------------

OfflinemushmanTN
Dying felt so goddamn good today
Male

Loc: cow town, TN
Re: (Puffball) Should I pick or let it grow? [Re: CureCat]
    #7229697 - 07/27/07 10:07 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

mmm... i remember the ones i got last year... they go real well fried with squash

Invisibletruffleupagus
Male User Gallery

Re: (Puffball) Should I pick or let it grow? [Re: mushmanTN]
    #7231786 - 07/27/07 09:54 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I ended up eating about a quarter of this guy tonight. It was good. I even got the old lady to try some. She enjoyed it too.

Altogether, I've had three pop up so far. I'm gonna cross my fingers and hope we get more.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #7231800 - 07/27/07 09:59 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Good to hear!! Scout around, look for areas with similar dirt and grass/ground cover.

--------------------

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
    #7231815 - 07/27/07 10:03 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

The trend with Puffball's seems to be come and go rather quickly. In other words, you'll find quite a bit in an area for around a week or 2 and then they'll be gone for good or minimal in that particular area.

I guess their ability of a stable presence is a climatic thing as well, just like the others.

Edited by Hotnuts (07/27/07 10:24 PM)

Invisibletruffleupagus
Male User Gallery

Re: (Puffball) Should I pick or let it grow? [Re: Hotnuts]
    #7233068 - 07/28/07 10:40 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, last year they started popping up late July and I kept seeing them until maybe mid-August at best.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification