Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Amazon Balloons, Cracker, DXM, Nitrous Oxide

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleveggie

Loc: Flag
Ketamine relieves depression symptoms in hours
    #7220788 - 07/25/07 03:51 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Scientists speed antidepressant action
July 24, 2007 - ScienceDaily

BETHESDA, Md.(UPI) -- U.S. scientists have moved closer to producing faster acting antidepressants than exist today by using the experimental medication ketamine.

The research, conducted by the National Institute of Mental Health, focused on how ketamine, when used experimentally for depression, relieves symptoms in hours instead of the weeks or months it takes for current antidepressants to work.

While ketamine itself probably won't be used as an antidepressant because of its side effects, researchers said the new finding moves scientists considerably closer to understanding how to develop faster-acting antidepressant medications.

"In any other illness of depression's magnitude, patients aren't expected to just accept that their treatments won't start helping them for weeks or months," said Dr. Thomas Insel, NIMH director. "The value of our research on compounds like ketamine is that it tells us where to look for more precise targets for new kinds of medications that can close the gap."

The study is reported online in the journal Biological Psychiatry.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSunshineDaydream
Journeyman
Male User Gallery

Loc: OK Flag
Re: Ketamine relieves depression symptoms in hours [Re: veggie]
    #7220794 - 07/25/07 03:56 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

veggie said:

While ketamine itself probably won't be used as an antidepressant because of its side effects, researchers said the new finding moves scientists considerably closer to understanding how to develop faster-acting antidepressant medications.

damn.  i had a feeling i was about to become extreamely CLINICALLY depressed.  :suicide:

OfflineChristianTaylor5
Mammal
Male

Re: Ketamine relieves depression symptoms in hours [Re: SunshineDaydream]
    #7220918 - 07/25/07 05:47 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Depression is such a vague term. It could be used to simply define the human condition. To many people are on all sorts of shit that they don't need these days. Don't get me wrong, if you like it and it makes you feel better more power to you.

I am just sick of girls telling me that for them they know they have a chemical imbalance. How do you know, because a doctor told you, they are just as human as me or you. Isn't it also so convenient that they can never diagnose these imbalances by any other way than psychological analysis. People seem to forget that the rx companies are in business to make money not cure diseases. These days with widespread naive behavior I guess it is just easier to make up a disease and prescribe pill for that.

People are sad, and the pills make them happier, wouldn't that make those pills recreational. Maybe people are sad for a reason, like their life isn't going in the direction they wanted it to. Maybe sadness and anger are just human responses designed to promote motivation to change whatever crappy situation your in that is causing that sadness or anger. I know I have used both as motivation for change, usually for the better. Or you can just take a pill and forget that the situation your in is not what you had in mind for your life.

There are people out there with serious problems but it seems like EVERY girl and some guys (guys usually don't talk so openly about such things) I meet from suburbia is prescribed to a smorgasboard of anti-depressants, anti-anxiety, and often some type of speed such as adderall, ritalin, etc. Its like we are trying to destroy negative feelings. Negative feelings are a part of every human being and very natural, they have there purpose and yet we deny this, as if life on earth is supposed to be life in heaven.

What I believe is going on is survival is now a given, no one needs to REALLY fight for life anymore. We have been left with minds that are always trying to solve problems because our ancestors did have to deal with life and death decisions all the time. Now that these problems have disappeared we create problems for ourselves.

For example, say you needed to go out and collect and chop wood every morning or else you would freeze that night. You would have no time for depression, your mind would be occupied by the task set fourth. Or people with OCD, they might hit their leg on a door jam and in turn need to hit their left leg on the door jam. But say they were running from a wild beast, they have no time for this nonsense as there mind is VERY actively occupied.

Just a thought. To much good seems to equal the same amount of bad we started with.

-CT

Edited by ChristianTaylor5 (07/25/07 06:00 AM)

OfflineQuake3
Total Carbohydrate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Relatively New York
Re: Ketamine relieves depression symptoms in hours [Re: veggie]
    #7221941 - 07/25/07 01:57 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I agree with ChristianTaylor5. A chemical imbalance might exist for a few people, but I highly doubt ~20% of the population suffers from depression. Most depression is just the result of ignorance.

I spent 5 years believing 100% that I had a chemical imbalance and needed Zoloft and anti-anxiety meds to functional normally. My life changed the first time I smoked pot. Pot and psychedelics showed me how powerful the human brain is and what it is capable of doing to your body and how you view the world. That didn't solve my problems instantly but became a catalyst for me to do my own research and do a lot of inner exploration to find out exactly what my problems were. Just being aware of what the problems were helped me overcome them.

For example, if you are afraid of the dark, you can take heroin or benzos and you won't be afraid anymore. That doesn't mean these drugs fix the problem. They only numb the consequences of the deep seated problem. If you're afraid of the dark, turn the lights off and sit down alone in your room and instead of screaming, take a deep breath and find out why you're afraid. Be mindful of the emotions and thoughts your brain is coming up with. You'll likely find that there's really nothing to be afraid of. This can be applied to social anxiety, a low self-esteem and so forth.

What ChristianTaylor5 said about our mind creating problems of its own can be cured with practices like vipassana meditation.

This study seems somewhat worthless. If you take anyone who's depressed and inject them with heroin or meth, they will no longer be depressed, not within hours but within seconds. This applies to dissociatives other than ketamine, like PCP, DXM or nitrous oxide.

InvisibleInvisible_Woe
 User Gallery

Loc: Mabase
Re: Ketamine relieves depression symptoms in hours [Re: Quake3]
    #7222416 - 07/25/07 04:23 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Quake3 said:
I agree with ChristianTaylor5. A chemical imbalance might exist for a few people, but I highly doubt ~20% of the population suffers from depression. Most depression is just the result of ignorance.

I spent 5 years believing 100% that I had a chemical imbalance and needed Zoloft and anti-anxiety meds to functional normally. My life changed the first time I smoked pot. Pot and psychedelics showed me how powerful the human brain is and what it is capable of doing to your body and how you view the world. That didn't solve my problems instantly but became a catalyst for me to do my own research and do a lot of inner exploration to find out exactly what my problems were. Just being aware of what the problems were helped me overcome them.

For example, if you are afraid of the dark, you can take heroin or benzos and you won't be afraid anymore. That doesn't mean these drugs fix the problem. They only numb the consequences of the deep seated problem. If you're afraid of the dark, turn the lights off and sit down alone in your room and instead of screaming, take a deep breath and find out why you're afraid. Be mindful of the emotions and thoughts your brain is coming up with. You'll likely find that there's really nothing to be afraid of. This can be applied to social anxiety, a low self-esteem and so forth.

i so know what u mean. i used to be depressed rly tho. i used to take Welbutrin for depression and Lexapro for my O.C.D. and depression also seroquel as an anti-psychotic but then i smoked weed and tried psychedelics and i just realized that that shit was....well not worth it. feeling like shit over nothing. i mean i still get depressed from time to time but not nearly as bad. and i dont take the meds n e more

--------------------
These are not the answers you should be questioning.

Offlinebuddhahoodlum
Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: Buddhahood
Re: Ketamine relieves depression symptoms in hours [Re: Invisible_Woe]
    #7222808 - 07/25/07 05:52 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

As long as I get 10 hour's of sleep every night I feel great otherwise I'm depressed and I think alot of people are the same way so go get some more sleep shroomerites that is my recommended medicine.

--------------------
“I believe that water will one day be employed as fuel, that hydrogen and oxygen which constitute it, used singly or together, will furnish an inexhaustible source of heat and light, of an intensity of which coal is not capable.” – Jules Verne, T

“Ere many generations pass, our machinery will be driven by power obtainable at any point in the universe...it is a mere question of time when men will succeed in attaching their machinery to the very wheel-work of nature."
- Nikola Tesla

Invisiblejeverden
Mushroom Hunter
Male User Gallery

Re: Ketamine relieves depression symptoms in hours [Re: buddhahoodlum]
    #7222876 - 07/25/07 06:11 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

buddhahoodlum said:
As long as I get 10 hour's of sleep every night I feel great otherwise I'm depressed and I think alot of people are the same way so go get some more sleep shroomerites that is my recommended medicine.

Works about like that for me to. But if I get to much I am worse off then not enough.

--------------------
All of my posts are purely fictional and for hypothetical purposes.

InvisibleInvisible_Woe
 User Gallery

Loc: Mabase
Re: Ketamine relieves depression symptoms in hours [Re: jeverden]
    #7222942 - 07/25/07 06:27 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

ch i sleep for at least 18 hrs...well untill night-school starts but i still have my precious caffine..its bad for u but i rly dont care:grin:

--------------------
These are not the answers you should be questioning.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Amazon Balloons, Cracker, DXM, Nitrous Oxide

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service