Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineb0b
Stranger
Coir Substrate/Casing
    #7215082 - 07/23/07 06:45 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I mixed two half pint colonized jars with some coir and verm for the substrate layer. The ratio is probably 3:2:1 coir:verm:crumbled jars. It is about 2" thick. I then used a moist, thin layer of verm, enough to barely cover the top for a casing layer. I now have it incubating. Does this sound about right for spawning this to the coir?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: Coir Substrate/Casing [Re: b0b]
    #7215094 - 07/23/07 06:48 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Pretty much other than i would have skipped the coir with the sub and just used a coir/coffee mix....Also you might want a 50/50+ casing layer since this holds a better micro-climate for pin formation.

--------------------
"Anything i say is fictional"
  what you should look for in manure

OfflineLVL12
Author andPerfector ofFailure
 User Gallery

Re: Coir Substrate/Casing [Re: xaxphaanes]
    #7215340 - 07/23/07 07:48 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I would have just spawed to coir/coffee, not coir/verm, and i would have used 50/50 for the casing. Basically what xax is saying.

You should be fine here though. Just some improvements for next time.

--------------------
Disclaimer: Posts from LVL12 are strictly for entertainment and are a work of fiction, nothing written or said by LVL12 should in interpreted as truth, fact or by their literal definitions or translations. Anyone who reads/listens to these words does so at their own risk, parental discretion is advised.

Offlineb0b
Stranger
Re: Coir Substrate/Casing [Re: LVL12]
    #7217728 - 07/24/07 11:56 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks. One of the jars I used for the substrate had pins on it already. RR said it would be fine to crumple it up and case it still, so I did. This morning I have a pretty fan pin, with a head the size of a penny, and a lot of little tiny ones poking out. Texas seems to want to fruit in low light, which is why I got it.

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: Coir Substrate/Casing [Re: b0b]
    #7218262 - 07/24/07 01:51 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

coir and coffee grounds both tend to retain their water fairly well so, generally there's no real need to add vermiculite to the mix, however if you do, something on the order of 10% by volume should be fine.

Besides, I'm not really keen on chomping down on it _even though I know it's safe_ :rolleyes:

As for what you've done, specifically, it's technically considered "fruiting a bulk substrate uncased"  A casing layer is a rich, non-nutritious moisture blanket usually made out of a peat-moss/verm mixture or one of the commonly found Jiffy Mix / Miracle Grow-Moisture Control commercial products.

When you fruit a substrate uncased you generally have to follow the same rules as a PF Cake.  The verm layer is roughly the same as your dunk-n-roll procedure and you have to keep the RH of the fruiting chamber between 92-99% to get good results.

Casing layers, acting as that humidity blanket I mentioned before, allow you more leeway and lower the required RH to the 80%'s which is a lot easier to maintain in larger setups.

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Offlineb0b
Stranger
Re: Coir Substrate/Casing [Re: mycocurious]
    #7221069 - 07/25/07 06:49 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I cased it with straight moist verm, about 1/4" thick.

I put this mixture in a tupperware container, cut out about 75% of the lid, and covered the hole in Tyvek, to allow it to breathe. It seems to be retaining its moisture well. I misted it yesterday, even though it seems moist. I am using a black Rubbermaid type toolbox as my incubation chamber, and am also going to use it as my FC, since I need it to be as stealthy as possible. I am going to start exposing it to light (I picked Texas for the low light levels needed) and line the bottom of the toolbox in foil and put perlite and water down to get the moisture levels up. After this, I will remove the tupperware lid.

Edited by b0b (07/25/07 06:59 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds