Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Coir, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebukujutsu
Male
Loc: Texas
soaking coir in coffee or composted blood meal slurry?
    #7219422 - 07/24/07 08:31 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Would it be okay to soak coir in a coffee solution? I don't know the ratio, but I assume it should be similar to the ration used when simmering grains with coffee. I haven't heard much about this, but I assume that it would work because it just has all the nutrients and stuff that were leached out of the grinds.

I also have some composted blood meal that'd probably work well if I made a slurry by mixing it with water and soaked the coir in that. the only problem is that I doubt many people have done this so I have no idea what the ration should be. When using chicken poo only about 3%-5% is used and blood meal is damn high in nitrogen, so it could be easy to add too much if I just guess.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: soaking coir in coffee or composted blood meal slurry? [Re: bukujutsu]
    #7219440 - 07/24/07 08:36 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I wouldn't use coffee to hydrate the coir or manure or what not since that is just asking for trich.Use coffee grinds in any amount you wish.Blood meal is good in compost but doesnt really have any effect when mixed with the substrate unless composted.Best thing like you said is 5% chicken manure in this case.

--------------------
"Anything i say is fictional"
  what you should look for in manure

Offlinebukujutsu
Male
Re: soaking coir in coffee or composted blood meal slurry? [Re: xaxphaanes]
    #7219485 - 07/24/07 08:44 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

The blood meal is composted.

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

#7219543 - 07/24/07 08:54 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Short version:
--------------
coffee - acidic
grounds - neutral and a buffer

and contams like trich, etc. and contams favor acidic substrates...

Long version:
-------------
To try to expand on what xaxphaanes said... part of the reason is because coffee itself is rather acidic whereas coffee grounds are not only fairly close to pH neutral (7.0) but they are also a mild buffering agent - something that resists change in pH. So, in terms of a nitrogen source, it's the titts.

Oh and it's over-loaded in nitrogen... to the point where I've made compost purely out of shredded newspaper and coffee grounds and it came out just as rich and loamy as if I put all kinds of different stuff in there - albeit, devoid of many micronutrients (magnesium, calcium, etc.)

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: soaking coir in coffee or composted blood meal slurry? [Re: mycocurious]
    #7219555 - 07/24/07 08:55 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

blood meal is purely a nitrogen source, and it costs money. coffee grounds are free from any starbucks. just ask them for the grounds for garden policy and they'll happily hand over whatever fresh grounds they have.

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

#7219632 - 07/24/07 09:11 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Huh i have never ph'd coffee grounds.I will do this know and see what the ph reading is exactly.

--------------------

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

#7219735 - 07/24/07 09:29 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

It's truth brutha, I've made compost out nothing but (rather) acidic oak leaves and coffee grounds and the net result was a dead even 7.0 pH because of the buffering effect.

Quote:

Coffee Grounds and Composting reads:While it is widely thought that they are acidic it has been shown that most of this acidity is removed in the brewing process. Used grounds are essentialy neutral and composting them with other materials will buffer any minor residual acidity.

One of the forum regulars with a scientific background did some controlled chemistry experiments on the acidity question and this is what he had to say:

"Roasted coffee is fairly acidic, but it appears that almost all of the acid is water soluble and is extracted during brewing. Used grounds have essentially neutral pH, although the coffee beverage produced is rather acidic.

The measured pH of used coffee grounds was 6.9, with a significant amount of buffer capacity - adding the coffee to either acidic or basic solutions drove both towards neutral pH. The exact pH of used grounds will depend on the pH and alkalinity of the water used in brewing, but with any potable water, used grounds will be close to neutral pH."

Hope that helps, this is why i go so nuts for the free starbucks coffee grounds policy, heh.

--------------------

figgusfiddus said:

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

#7219745 - 07/24/07 09:31 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Hehe i just made a pot of coffee and once cooled i will do a ph reading i am kinda curious now.

--------------------

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

#7219783 - 07/24/07 09:41 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

:stars:

I don't have a liquid pH meter, I want one.  I want a good TDS/EC meter as well, but oh well.

--------------------

figgusfiddus said:

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

#7219898 - 07/24/07 10:23 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Huh well the coffee grounds are slightly acidic but not by much reading 6.5-7.0.So if you use allot of grounds so then add lime to boost the "sweetness" of the substrate.

--------------------

Offlinebukujutsu
Male
    #7220197 - 07/24/07 11:59 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Alright, I'll be honest, I don't like leaving the house or asking my dad for rides(no license or car)so I'm gonna use steer manure instead of grounds or blood meal. I might try a small experimental grow with composted blood meal and coir later.
I'm sure the cow poo is sufficiently aged.
Does anyone know the ratio for steer manure and coir?

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: soaking coir in coffee or composted blood meal slurry? [Re: bukujutsu]
    #7220258 - 07/25/07 12:13 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

whatever ratio you want really.Just remember you want it light and fluffy and not to much moisture.Just enough moisture that if you take a hand full and lightly squeeze you get a few drops but if you squeeze hard a small stream will come out.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Coir, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation