Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Frank Zappa [Re: Phishe]
    #7205370 - 07/21/07 03:17 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Phishe said:
He has so many albums this is going to be difficult.

Can you from now on suggest songs please?

Pulling songs from an album, the way those 'long-playing LPs' were designed - to play it in it's entirety, makes no sense to me - an 'elder.' Your MP3 generation misses a lot when that scramble-mode mentality is applied to these old art forms.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleelbisivni
Re: Frank Zappa [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #7205915 - 07/21/07 10:10 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Pulling songs from an album, the way those 'long-playing LPs' were designed - to play it in it's entirety, makes no sense to me - an 'elder.' Your MP3 generation misses a lot when that scramble-mode mentality is applied to these old art forms.

Spot on.

But he is just getting into it. My Zappa collection first consisted of Peaches En Regalia and Nanook Rubs It. I probably had them for a year or two until I got Apostrophe. Since then my collection has become 28 times larger and continues to grow..

He'll get his samples, if he gets into them, he'll get albums, and if he's into them he'll get more albums. Don't judge his character based on what little info is presented in this thread. Phishe is a cool cat.

--------------------
From dust you are made and to dust you shall return.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Frank Zappa [Re: elbisivni]
    #7206299 - 07/21/07 12:42 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

No judgement intended, really just my old perspective. It's bad enough that the album art and insert specials is a thing of the past (of course, ritual cleaning seeds and stems on an unfolded album is also a thing of the past, fortunately for cannabis users). Anyway, I didn't intend to sound harsh - just against dissection of albums.

Invisibleelbisivni
    #7206481 - 07/21/07 01:28 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

No kidding..  I have yet to browse someones iPod to find more than a song or two by any given artist.. They pretty much listen to the radio without the commercials. :thumbdown:

I don't know many people out here in the real world with good taste in music though (according to my taste), but I don't live in an area that's great for really anything lol.

--------------------

Invisibleelbisivni
    #7207245 - 07/21/07 04:53 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

'Do You Like My New Car?' off of Fillmore, hilarious bit..2 1/2 minutes in it just gets ridiculous :rofl:

then it goes into Happy Together, Lonesome Electric Turkey & Peaches En Regalia :thumbup::thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#7207468 - 07/21/07 06:07 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Album-length listening was mind-expanding back in the day. Add to that cannabinoid time distortion and each album was like entering into a little trip. Some people placed certain album covers in a display position. American Beauty by the Grateful Dead was commonly found on display (I have a metal Aoxomoxoa album cover on permanent wall display). Playing a multitude of different songs, unrelated to one another, just jerks one's attention and inner rhythm in one direction after another. Today's social pathology called 'multi-tasking' is already turning people into spastic-moving, scatter-minded beings - the exact opposite of Zen-Mind or any other name where Mindfulness is the Way to be.

--------------------

Invisibleelbisivni
    #7207558 - 07/21/07 06:33 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

What you say is very true but it doesn't encompass the totality of the younger generations. I rarely listen to anything but full albums at a time. It isn't uncommon either to listen to multiple albums by an artist, or their full discography, in one session.

And I had FZ's Absolutely Free framed and hanging on my wall up until a couple weeks ago..found it at a thrift store a while back and in good condition, surprised the hell out of me. A relative of mine had at least 30 FZ albums, original records, pawned them......

--------------------

OfflinePhishe
Lysergic Bliss
Male User Gallery

Loc: Planet Earth
    #7208686 - 07/22/07 12:28 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

elbisivni said:
Quote:

He'll get his samples, if he gets into them, he'll get albums, and if he's into them he'll get more albums.  Don't judge his character based on what little info is presented in this thread.  Phishe is a cool cat.

Thanks man :smile:

I like downloading full albums :tongue:, but when it comes to buying albums, I like to support artists who need it. Zappa is dead unfortunately :sad: so what is there to support? I guess his family but I doubt they get the profits.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #7208838 - 07/22/07 01:24 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

actually, dweezil zappa is in charge of the zappa estate, as well as all the archives. Recently he has been touring under the concert title of "Zappa doing Zappa" or something to that effect, and actually has some of the original members like Napoleon Murphy Brock, and does the zappa solo's note for note.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#7209579 - 07/22/07 09:49 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I know I haven't encompassed this current generation, I qualified my 'elder's' perspective. Many people from my generation have bought into the current version of 'The Matrix,' the 'geist' or spirit of the times. Very few who
have had their eyes opened continued to practice ways to keep them open. Sinking back into the matrix of the unconscious, comprised of the fashions of the moment is the mentality of the multitudes. It covers all manner of things from how one listens to music, to uncritically adopting values which are all programmed by our consumerist society. I asked a 14 year old why 22" rims on cars is 'cool,' and she stammered out some attempt at a reason - they look better than the little standard wheels. Maybe another aspect of 'bigger is better,' but 'bigger is better' is only valid for me in one real sense, it is 'bigger' Mind, which encompasses everything and gives perspective to everything else. But I digress. Zappa was quite a musician and something of a social philosopher in his own right.

"This next song is called 'Discorporate' - it means to leave your body..."

--------------------

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery

Loc: Way Up North
    #7209594 - 07/22/07 09:55 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Embrace the youth, we want to embrace the elders. We can do this.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Frank Zappa [Re: Adom]
    #7210209 - 07/22/07 02:17 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

here are some very interesting statements and shit that zappa has done. It is all in his autobiography, which is absolutely hilarious... but anyway.

Quote:

On September 19, 1985, Zappa testified before the US Senate Commerce, Technology, and Transportation committee, attacking the Parents Music Resource Center or PMRC, a music censorship organization founded by then-Senator Al Gore's wife Tipper Gore and including many other political wives, including the wives of five members of the committee. In his prepared statement, Zappa said

“ The PMRC proposal is an ill-conceived piece of nonsense which fails to deliver any real benefits to children, infringes the civil liberties of people who are not children, and promises to keep the courts busy for years dealing with the interpretational and enforcemental problems inherent in the proposal's design. It is my understanding that, in law, First Amendment issues are decided with a preference for the least restrictive alternative. In this context, the PMRC's demands are the equivalent of treating dandruff by decapitation. (...) The establishment of a rating system, voluntary or otherwise, opens the door to an endless parade of moral quality control programs based on things certain Christians do not like. What if the next bunch of Washington wives demands a large yellow "J" on all material written or performed by Jews, in order to save helpless children from exposure to concealed Zionist doctrine?

Quote:

In early 1990, Zappa visited Czechoslovakia at the request of President Václav Havel, a lifelong fan, and was asked by Havel to serve as consultant for the government on trade, cultural matters and tourism. Zappa enthusiastically agreed and began meeting with corporate officials interested in investing in Czechoslovakia. Within a few weeks, however, the US administration put pressure on the Czech government to withdraw the appointment. Havel made Zappa an unofficial cultural attaché instead.[38]

Zappa's political work would come to a halt all too soon, however. In 1991, he was diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer.[39] After his diagnosis, Zappa devoted almost all of his energy to modern orchestral and synclavier works

Quote:

Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny.

Stupidity is the basic building block of the universe.

Tobacco is my favorite vegetable.

There is no hell. There is only France.

Don't mind your make-up, you'd better make your mind up.

Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesnt work if it's not open.

If we can't be free at least we can be cheap.

Sometimes you got to get sick before you can feel better.

You can't be a Real Country unless you have a BEER and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a BEER.

There will never be a nuclear war; there's too much real estate involved.

Consider for a moment any beauty in the name Ralph.

Why do you necessarily have to be wrong just because a few million people think you are?

Outdoors for me is walking from the car to the ticket desk at the airport

You drank beer, you played golf, you watched football - WE EVOLVED!

You have just destroyed one model XQJ-37 nuclear powered pansexual roto-plooker....and you're gonna have to pay for it.

Interviewer: "So Frank, you have long hair. Does that make you a woman?"
FZ: "You have a wooden leg. Does that make you a table?"

Without deviation from the norm, 'progress' is not possible.

Who are the brain police?

The people of your century no longer require the service of composers.
A composer is as useful to a person in a jogging suit as a dinsoaur turd in the middle of his runway.

There are more love songs than anything else.
If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another.

Hey, you know something people? I'm not black, but there's a whole lots a times I wish I could say I'm not white.

Most people wouldn't know good music if it came up and bit them in the ass.

Politics is the entertainment branch of industry.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

There are three things that smell of fish. One of them is fish. The other two are growing on you!

May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance, it's what makes America great.

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.

Beauty is a pair of shoes that makes you wanna die.

The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

my favorite zappa quote though...

"Rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, in order to provide articles for people who can't read. "

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Frank Zappa [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #7210684 - 07/22/07 05:01 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

My favorite is the first one you cited. And "Broken Hearts are for Assholes". There is so much truth in that I can't begin to tell you.

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Frank Zappa [Re: Adom]
    #7211126 - 07/22/07 06:56 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I would like to embrace youth - particularly a leggy blond about 19.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#7211282 - 07/22/07 07:29 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Yes but you see the problem is wherein he expresses a desire to embrace us geezer types. This we know to be a lie inasmuch as the youthful rat bastards are just waiting for us to stumble and then they will hasten us to the spit forthwith. Never trust anyone under 30. They are hungry and vicious and our only hope is through vigilance and guile. But they are also as dumb as a bag of hammers so we still rule.

--------------------

Invisibleidiotek
 User Gallery

#7213242 - 07/23/07 09:07 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

My favorites:

I'm the Slime
Black Napkins
Montana
Your Mouth
Muffin Man
Cosmik Debris
Willie the Pimp
Peaches en Regalia
Cleetus Awreetus-Awrightus
Son of Mr. Green Genes
The Gumbo Variations (Really, anything from Hot Rats, since I've already listed the whole album practically)
Waka Jawaka

There's so much Zappa shit that I love, I can't possibly think of everything at once.. but those are must-haves IMO.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Frank Zappa [Re: idiotek]
    #7214010 - 07/23/07 01:59 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I would also like to mention the Zappa/Beefheart collaboration Bongo Fury. In particular but not limited to that fine ballad Carolina Hard-Core Ecstasy. Also Debra Kedabra. And Sam With the Showing Scalp Flat-top. And Poofter's Froth Wyoming Plans Ahead. What the fuck, play the whole damn thing. "Girl, you thought he was a man but he was a muffin." I'm off.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale