Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblecloudtripper
Knock and theDoor will open

Small Dry Mushrooms :(
    #7208961 - 07/22/07 02:18 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

ok, here is the story. I had 6 jars growing for 4 weeks, I saw a mushroom growing in one so I birthed and dunked them all (2 had contam so I threw them away). The single mushroom grew to about 2 inches across. I picked it, ate it, yum.

But it has now been 3 weeks since I birthed them all and I have had a total of 6 mushrooms. 3 are from the same cake and are tiny (less than an inch), and they look dry.

The other three have all just stopped growing and are very tiny, atleast one is an abort.

I can't work out what is going wrong ... what I am doing wrong.

I have a 10 watt white floro tube in the fruiting box, that I run for a few hours per day. It gets warm but the temp in the box is never over 73F. I have an ultrasonic humidifier in a big tub of water and a computer fan blowing air out of it into the grow box so the humidity is high. It runs 15 minutes on, 30 minutes off.

Maybe there is too much light ? Maybe it is too humid ?

Any advice appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: Small Dry Mushrooms :( [Re: cloudtripper]
    #7209010 - 07/22/07 02:52 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

well the light should give off some heat even with a floro but lets say thats not the prob could be all the air exchange is drying them out how do you know what the humidity is? if your using a hygrometer you might want to test it by wrapping it up in a paper towel that is damp and it should read 98% thats a pretty good way to test if your hygrometer is working or not.

--------------------
"Anything i say is fictional"
  what you should look for in manure

Invisiblecloudtripper

Re: Small Dry Mushrooms :( [Re: xaxphaanes]
    #7209022 - 07/22/07 03:02 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

There is moisture on the sides of the box. I have a digital humidity sensor in there, it shows 93% (it never goes above that) and has water condensed on it. When I open the box the mist comes out of it, so, it is humid enough ..... maybe too humid.

I'm going to back off on the light and just run it 2 hours per day.

The cake that gets hit by the mist coming into the box is growing lots of mycelium, the others havn't grown any for weeks.

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: Small Dry Mushrooms :( [Re: cloudtripper]
    #7209026 - 07/22/07 03:06 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Condensation on the sides doesn't mean high humidity that just means there is a temperature differnce between the inside of the terrarium and the outside room.Try the salt test just to see if it is reading correctly just take a plastic soda bottle cap fill with salt then put a few drops of water in it,then put the hygrometer and the cap in a zip lock bag or a tupperware container and leave for at least 5 hours it should read an exact 75 reading if it doesnt then the hygrometer is off and needs to be adjusted.oh also i noticed that you said you have water in the tub i would remove that standing water since contams love standing water go get some perlite and replace it with that.

--------------------
"Anything i say is fictional"
  what you should look for in manure

Invisiblecloudtripper

Re: Small Dry Mushrooms :( [Re: xaxphaanes]
    #7209037 - 07/22/07 03:18 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

ok thanks. The water is in another tub and has an ultrasonic fogger in it so it is moving around alot. I fill it up every couple of days. I have wet perlite in the fruiting box also, the mist is just extra humidity + fae.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix