Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebeanndip
Flowing
Male User Gallery

Loc: Georgia, US
ID please, Fly Agaric?
    #7208469 - 07/21/07 11:22 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

There is a medium/large patch of these in my yard. I say medium to large because various animals keep consuming the patch as it gets larger but then the mushrooms quickly grow back. The reason i think these may be the famous fly agaric, or a relative thereof, is because of their incredibly accurate appearance and the fact that animals are known to consume psychedelic substances when they are available. (Read Animals and Psychedelics, by Giorgio Samorini. Great read before a trip). I know that this very much like a Muscaria, im basically sure of that. But it looks like the Amanita, and furthermore, variation Formosa.

Description: White Spore Print
Fleshy cap
Fairly firm stalk but not woody
Veil apparent on stalk (still connected to cap alittle)
"Egg" remains on cap. Universal Veil.

Pictures:

I am by no means anything close to a mushroom identifying expert. So please prove me wrong if you have any information.

Edited by beanndip (07/22/07 12:29 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: ID please, Fly Agaric? [Re: beanndip]
    #7208663 - 07/22/07 12:22 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

feeding by animals is never a safe basis for identification, in whole or in part.

i will venture that those may be A. muscaria and go no further. i say this because the actual features [compenents of your 'accurate appearance'] which are nessecary for identification are not present. firstly, the intact basal/volval structure and secondly, an accurate representation of the color would be a help. all i see is dangerous looking tan amanita.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site

Re: ID please, Fly Agaric? [Re: canid]
    #7208677 - 07/22/07 12:26 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

they dont really look like fly agaric.

Offlinebeanndip
Flowing
Male User Gallery

Re: ID please, Fly Agaric? [Re: canid]
    #7208680 - 07/22/07 12:26 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

The color is a light or soft yellow. Im not really sure what specific characteristics you would need to help me ID, but tell me and ill list them.

Thanks

Invisiblecoon
big odd son

Loc: behind the rows....
    #7208699 - 07/22/07 12:31 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Amanitas aren't something you want to mess with if you are not learned in identification.there are several lookalikes of muscaria that can mess you up in gloriously horrible ways.:igor:

Edited by coon (07/22/07 12:32 AM)

Offlineundergrounder
fluffy bunny
 User Gallery

Loc: Sydney Flag
    #7208703 - 07/22/07 12:32 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Was that where the stem ended in the ground or was there a bulbous part attached at the bottom?

Fly agaric var formosa would have this bulb at the bottom.

--------------------
:igor: RIP :igor:

Bigger and bolder and rougher and tougher in other words sucka there is no other...
:pinkshroom: :supershroom: :mushroom2: :shroomer: :mushroom2: :supershroom: :pinkshroom:

Offlinebeanndip
Flowing
Male User Gallery

Re: ID please, Fly Agaric? [Re: undergrounder]
    #7208712 - 07/22/07 12:34 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah it had a bulb that was like the roots of it attaching to the entire organism but there were ants all over it so i couldnt get it out.

--------------------
Jai Guru Deva...  Om

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #7208927 - 07/22/07 02:00 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

if that yellow is very clearly and inarguably yellow, and not any sort of tan [which looks to be the case, at least in that lighting] or straw colored, has inamyloid spores, an annulate stipe, the cap posesses white warty universal viel remnants which are relatively small and not large and patchy and does not have a sac or cup like volval structure [you must always make certain, even if you have to excavate carefuly with a stick, spade, etc], that should place it frome the broad abyss of the genus Amanita into the genus Amanita section amanita. if the basal bulb has concentric, sometimes somewhat broken rings around it then it should be safe to place it into the A. muscaria group. remember that with amanitas, and approximate determination of a key feature could kill you. amanitas are complex and will likely continue to need more study for decades to come. north american amanitas are the worse for thier relative lack of study.

if you are going to ask another person to help you make an identification within the genus Amanita, you must remember that you alone are responsible. you must know for yourself what the significant features are and in many areas of the genus, this can take years. i've been hanging out with them for years and i'm still afraid of the vast majority of them. destroying angel, the common name for a group of unassuming, if also quite beautiful deadly white Amanita species could be an apt name for the genus at large. they are breathtaking, sometimes ugly, sweet, sometimes foul, always impressive and never your back to be turned uppon.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract