Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelolwhut
ahsgfiuahfuope
Male User Gallery

WARNING: Flame + enclosed glovebox + open container of 91% alcohol = bad
    #7205531 - 07/21/07 06:01 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

So, this was my third time using my cardboard + saranwrap glovebox. The first time I had 100% success rate on inoculation. The second time i had a 100% failure rate (due to bad spores from vendor) and this time, it was one of the leftover jars of rye that I had forgotten about innoculating. So it was yesterday afternoon and I was quite impatient. I have the flu, some weird rash all over my body and I dont know where its from (either that green mold from my contams or this dirty fucking slut i fucked in a parking lot without a condom.) So i setup the glovebox, get the gloves, tyvek armsleeves (fucking best invention ever, thanks RR!), and the alcohol and the micropore tape. It is all in the glove box and i use the alcohol to wet the micropore tape so it will be sterile when i stick it over the tyvek cover of the rye. Well, i go to light the needle inside the glovebox (i have been doing this out of a sterility paranoia) and some of the alcohol on the bottom of the box catches on fire, then the alcohol in the air catches fire, then the HUGE FUCKING BOTTLE OF ALCOHOL CATCHES FIRE. In seconds I am dealing with a huge catastrophe. I run the box outside in which the fire gets worse because of the alcohol, i used the mason jars for my next inoculation full of water to put out the fire. Now, i lost all my spore solution, my awesome fucking glovebox, my last jar of sterilized rye. Fuck.

Lesson is: Dont fucking light shit in the glovebox! I know its common sense but everyone makes mistakes, learn from mine!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Loc: Figgus, Fiddia
Re: WARNING: Flame + enclosed glovebox + open container of 91% alcohol = bad [Re: lolwhut]
    #7205632 - 07/21/07 06:56 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Way to go, Richard Pryor.

:thumbup:

But yes, it is common sense, and yes, everyone makes stupid mistakes. Learn from the putz. :smile:

--------------------
FGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDS

Edited by figgusfiddus (07/21/07 06:57 AM)

Offlineroyer
±±±±±±±±±±

Loc: anywhere but here
Re: WARNING: Flame + enclosed glovebox + open container of 91% alcohol = bad [Re: figgusfiddus]
    #7205655 - 07/21/07 07:11 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

lol sorry for laughing but it is common sense like you stated

--------------------
=================================================
if you have any questions please feel free to pm me , thx :-)

Offlinelolwhut
ahsgfiuahfuope
Male User Gallery

Re: WARNING: Flame + enclosed glovebox + open container of 91% alcohol = bad [Re: royer]
    #7205659 - 07/21/07 07:15 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

royer9864 said:
lol sorry for laughing but it is common sense like you stated

haha, yup, it didnt happen the first 2 times, so i was like, "OHEMGEE, I bet RR never thought of this when he was taking the lit syringe from outside the glovebox to inside. I was thinking that just as the box exploded.

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Re: WARNING: Flame + enclosed glovebox + open container of 91% alcohol = bad [Re: lolwhut]
    #7205671 - 07/21/07 07:22 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If your work is coming out clean, don't go to insane, dangerous lengths to improve sanitation--especially in departments where it's probably not failing.

People always seem to forget that it's more of a "weakest link" deal. All the excessive sanitation measures in the world won't make up for the little slip-up (or fundamental flaw, e.g. wet polyfill) that actually causes the problem.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: WARNING: Flame + enclosed glovebox + open container of 91% alcohol = bad [Re: figgusfiddus]
    #7205759 - 07/21/07 08:21 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

You'll notice on the video I bring the syringe or scalpel outside the glovebox to flame sterilize, and then stick my arm back in with the still red hot needle. This eliminates the chances of explosion/fire in the glovebox. Glad you're ok.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Re: WARNING: Flame + enclosed glovebox + open container of 91% alcohol = bad [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7205766 - 07/21/07 08:24 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, nothing worse than a week in the hospital, a burned-down house/apartment, and a few years in prison. :smile: Suppose in my eagerness to laugh I did forget to say the same.

--------------------

Edited by figgusfiddus (07/21/07 08:26 AM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: WARNING: Flame + enclosed glovebox + open container of 91% alcohol = bad [Re: figgusfiddus] * 1
    #7205776 - 07/21/07 08:39 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I had a bad fire in my growroom a few years ago. It happened when I accidentally knocked over my bottle of alcohol on the table I was working on, when there was a torch lit. The full, burning bottle of alcohol got knocked off the table, where it landed in the carpet and immediately got that started burning, which caught the curtains on fire too. I had to completely empty our linen closet to get enough sheets and blankets to smother the fire out, which ruined everything. However, I was about 30 seconds away from calling 911 and letting events take their course.

After that adventure, I purchased a large fire extinguisher and always keep it near my work area. I also got some chemical bottles with squeeze spouts to keep the alcohol in. Always keep the alcohol on the opposite side of the table from where your flame is.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery
Loc: Houston, Texas. Flag
Re: WARNING: Flame + enclosed glovebox + open container of 91% alcohol = bad [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7205815 - 07/21/07 09:15 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Haha every now and again the forums hears about someone burning there glove box up, thanks for keeping the tradition!

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: WARNING: Flame + enclosed glovebox + open container of 91% alcohol = bad [Re: implee]
    #7205913 - 07/21/07 10:09 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I used to work as a car porter cleaning and fueling rental cars at the airport after they were returned.  It was considered a "rite of passage" to forget that the gas nossle was still in the tank and drive off with it.  Every newbie there did it at least once during their first 90 days and they (myself included) always panick as if the whole damn pumping station was going to explode from it.

No clue how that relates but it's still a fun story if you can picture the nossle hanging out of the tank as a person drives off.  It's even funnier on the very rare occassions that I see it happen at a normal gas station 15 years later.  :grin:

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

OfflineGrogan
Shroomieologist
 User Gallery

Re: WARNING: Flame + enclosed glovebox + open container of 91% alcohol = bad [Re: mycocurious] * 1
    #7206087 - 07/21/07 11:29 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Dude hate to say it but sounds like you make alot of mistakes.. doing some dirty slut with no condom, almost burning yourself and house down.. lol

you need to THINK before you act man!

--------------------
"Maybe a cow occasionally ate a shroom, but it certainly wouldn't be such a potent shroom that the cow would be trippin balls. " LOL

Offlinexhooliganx
Munky
Male User Gallery

Loc: reno, nevada
Re: WARNING: Flame + enclosed glovebox + open container of 91% alcohol = bad [Re: Grogan]
    #7206193 - 07/21/07 12:05 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

yeah atleast you didn't get burned like blutjager.

I use a fully enclosed glovebox so I only get to flame sterilize the needle before I start my work. but my needle doesn't touch anythink after that. I open the lids on my jars and shoot sporeor lc sollution into my jars. I figgured if I could do my g2g this way then I could use lc this way.

--------------------

OfflineCaptainLinger
A Fungus Amongus

#7206222 - 07/21/07 12:12 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Way to go, Richard Pryor.

WORD.

I used to just leave a shot glass of ethanol on fire inside the all-plastic glovebox, until I figured it was moving air more than I'd like. Worked fine, low fire hazard

Offlinelolwhut
ahsgfiuahfuope
Male User Gallery

#7207008 - 07/21/07 03:47 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
I had a bad fire in my growroom a few years ago. It happened when I accidentally knocked over my bottle of alcohol on the table I was working on, when there was a torch lit. The full, burning bottle of alcohol got knocked off the table, where it landed in the carpet and immediately got that started burning, which caught the curtains on fire too. I had to completely empty our linen closet to get enough sheets and blankets to smother the fire out, which ruined everything. However, I was about 30 seconds away from calling 911 and letting events take their course.

After that adventure, I purchased a large fire extinguisher and always keep it near my work area. I also got some chemical bottles with squeeze spouts to keep the alcohol in. Always keep the alcohol on the opposite side of the table from where your flame is.
RR

Where did you get your squeeze bottles from, I noticed it in your video dealing with rye. They look really handy. Also, do you soak the micropore tape in alcohol before you cover up the tyvek?

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

#7207230 - 07/21/07 04:49 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Soaking tape in alcohol tends to dissolve the adhesive.

--------------------

Offlinelolwhut
ahsgfiuahfuope
Male User Gallery

#7207287 - 07/21/07 05:01 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

figgusfiddus said:
Soaking tape in alcohol tends to dissolve the adhesive.

but micropore is waterproof, when i did that with my first batch I did not have a problem with the tape becoming undone except on some of the edges which were irrelivant.

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

#7207300 - 07/21/07 05:05 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Isopropyl is a much better solvent than water, especially for glue.

If it works for you, great, but I have never seen any sort of tape stick after being soaked in alcohol.

--------------------

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

#7207340 - 07/21/07 05:15 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

figgusfiddus said:

If it works for you, great, but I have never seen any sort of tape stick after being soaked in alcohol.

same it rubs off the adhesive and just becomes useless ime.

--------------------
"Anything i say is fictional"
  what you should look for in manure

Offlinelolwhut
ahsgfiuahfuope
Male User Gallery

#7207361 - 07/21/07 05:23 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

figgusfiddus said:

iono, what do i do to sterilize the micropore though?

OfflineMYSTIQUE
Say Hi to the elves for me.
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: WARNING: Flame + enclosed glovebox + open container of 91% alcohol = bad [Re: xaxphaanes]
    #7207399 - 07/21/07 05:32 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Lol we need a special tag for people who have blown up their glove box.
I used to make potato guns and I would never think of putting fuel in a closed box and let it mix with the air with a flame going. You have your arms in a combustion chamber! You are lucky it went off early. You get the right air/fuel ratio and you could take out the windows in a room with a huge fire ball with you in it. The worst thing you could do is try and light a lighter in the box with open fuel that would be a much larger explosion or the lighter wont light if too much fuel is in the air and you get lucky.

--------------------
Dont know what the fuck I just said? READ THIS
http://www.shroomery.org/5122/The-Shroomery-Mushroom-Glossary
I ain't a hippy but I'm covered in dirt                         
Sippin lots of mushroom tea in a tye-dye shirt
Chasin' the Grateful Dead, no shoes on my feet
Beggin' in the parking lot for something to eat,

:onfire:DO NOT USE FIRE IN YOUR GLOVE BOX!!!!!!!:onfire:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale