Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinejBEArWAuKeE
lapsed infant

Loc: Ohio
born again n00b getn my grow on
    #7186589 - 07/17/07 02:46 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Two years ago I tripped over the Shroomery and dug into all the teks and followed threads awhile, eventually settling on Magash's rye tek. I found a PC, a bunch of rye berries, some verm, jars, tyvek and spores, played with getting TiTs to temp,and then threw it all in a closet :p

Back around May, I came across the spores and thought about pitching 'em, but said wth, pulled out the PC, and knocked up four quart jars. My old TiT was retasked to recyclables and potting soil, so I just threw the jars in a box in the back of my closet, checking on them now and then. It was slow going, but the jars are fully colonized except for a stalled patch here and there, and I'm getting ready for casing.

I'm a little worried about yellow liquid sweating out of the myc and even pooling in two jars, but I'm thinking that's just heavy metabolites from higher-than-optimal temps. I don't see any other signs of possible contamination, so I'm going ahead with casing using straight verm (cuz that's what I have).

I'm PCing the moist verm, utensils, and foil for casing, but the containers are a bit large for my PC (I cold fit maybe one of six w/ the other stuff, and 3 more with nothing else in there). They're Glad tupperware, and I'm thinking they'll be fine if I just wipe them down with alcohol.

After casing, it's back in the closet, then cold shock (I'm doubtful about getting a consistent 10F temp drop in the grow space), then drop them in a plastic tub with plexiglass 'skylight' and maybe some Perlite below. All I can do is fanning for air exchange, which has me worried about contams at that stage, not to mention uneven air exchange. I might drop my sage plant or something in there, but then that's a possible contam source :p Any input on air exchange/ moisture is much appreciated.

I'll edit with pics as I move along.

--------------------
"This is absolutely the most exciting time we could have possibly hoped to be alive, and things are just starting." --Dreamer

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: born again n00b getn my grow on [Re: jBEArWAuKeE]
    #7186645 - 07/17/07 03:16 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I'm guessing the excessive yellow metabolites and stalled patched means they are fighting of some contamination that you do not see,the metabolites are antibiotic and it seems that you are lucky enough that your mycelium is beating out whatever contamination it is fighting off

Go and get a bag of this stuff >> to case with,they sell it everywhere and its cheap,last time I bought it I got a giant bag for around twelve dollars

Don't "Cold shock" cubes,they don't need it and it actually does more harm than good by slowing them down,cold shock isn't even the correct term to use here,a cold shock is needed for some mushrooms and it is done by lowering their temperature over the coarse of several weeks,its completely not needed for cubes and is closer to harmful than beneficial,aside from dunking cakes in a fridge to give them a better chance of not getting contaminated because contamination thrives in room temperature water

OfflinejBEArWAuKeE
lapsed infant

Re: born again n00b getn my grow on [Re: Blutjager]
    #7186717 - 07/17/07 03:47 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Blutjager said:
I'm guessing the excessive yellow metabolites and stalled patched means they are fighting of some contamination that you do not see,the metabolites are antibiotic and it seems that you are lucky enough that your mycelium is beating out whatever contamination it is fighting off

Ah ha, bacterial, probably? But I'm hearing a "go ahead with casing" vote here, correct? Short of actual blooms or deformed fruit, should I worry about dangerous contams?

Quote:

Blutjager said:
Go and get a bag of this stuff

Won't straight verm work okay on top? I'm hoping to get these cased up tomorrow night (er...tonight).

Quote:

Blutjager said:
Don't "Cold shock" cubes,they don't need it and it actually does more harm than good

Thanks for the heads up there--I'd read teks and posts advocating 12-24 hrs in the fridge once the myc breaks the casing, to initiate fruiting. Urban myth?

Thanks for the detailed response, it's very helpful. I'll try to hunt down some 50/50-type potting mix before work if I can, otherwise I'll fly with straight verm.

--------------------
"This is absolutely the most exciting time we could have possibly hoped to be alive, and things are just starting." --Dreamer

OfflineLVL12
Author andPerfector ofFailure
 User Gallery

#7186729 - 07/17/07 03:56 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Jiffy Mix makes a 50/50 as well, lots of stuff is 50/50, and then you could always make your own as well, but casing it with straight vermiculite would make me sad  :cheerup: .

--------------------
Disclaimer: Posts from LVL12 are strictly for entertainment and are a work of fiction, nothing written or said by LVL12 should in interpreted as truth, fact or by their literal definitions or translations. Anyone who reads/listens to these words does so at their own risk, parental discretion is advised.

OfflinejBEArWAuKeE
lapsed infant

Re: born again n00b getn my grow on [Re: LVL12]
    #7186755 - 07/17/07 04:22 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Aye, a few searches have proven Blutjager spot-on re: cold shocks and straight verm casing. I already have a bunch of Verm prepped...would I be better off hitting a pet store for some coco coir, or is the bagged mix superior? In either case, I should probably PC the stuff to be safe, right?

--------------------

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: born again n00b getn my grow on [Re: LVL12]
    #7186771 - 07/17/07 04:34 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

#1 - Hell yea case it,like I said just try and not get any of the uncolonized parts in it :rockon:

#2 - I don't think I have ever seen a side by side comparison or 50/50 or just verm vs miracle grow but I know that using only verm doesn't work as well as a better prepared casing layer.anyone who says they don't like miracle grow as a casing usually gives the excuse that it is too expensive and while this may be true in the respect that a homemade 50/50 mix would be cheaper but I for one would rather cough up the 12 bucks and not have to play scavenger hunt all over town looking for if what I need.Besides that 12 dollar bag goes a hell of a long way considering its half the size of me,well worth the 12 bucks and will see me through plenty of grows

#3 - I think you might be thinking of dunking cakes in the fridge,that is done to give it the upper hand against contamination,casings are usually cased unrefrigerated in a sink or bathtub with the water running on it the whole time that way they water doesn't stagnate and become a breeding ground for contamination

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#7186784 - 07/17/07 04:46 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Remember that coir in a casing often leads to overlay due to its nutritious nature,in theory think of it as putting more substrate on top so only use a small am out if you do go ahead and use it,I would personally just grab a grow of the miracle grow and save myself the headache.... Some people even go so far as to say it doesn't yield as much but nearly every mushroom in my gallery was grown with it and it is more than enough to keep me set for months.... >> here look http://www.shroomery.org/forums/upload.php?action=viewthumb&imgpl=5&imgpp=25&folder=Drying

What do you think,I mean would you be happy with that,cause I know I sure am so I figure as long as its good enough for me thats all that matters

Invisibleveilbreaker
Sour girl
Female

#7186832 - 07/17/07 06:22 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Can you link me to a casing tek using that stuff? It's difficult to find materials in my town sometimes but I know I've seen that stuff often:

--------------------
People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of their character.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

:amanitajar: :rose:

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: born again n00b getn my grow on [Re: veilbreaker]
    #7186840 - 07/17/07 06:31 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I don't think I have ever seen a tek on how to use it,its pretty self explanatory though

What I do is open up the bag and load it up into jars.pasteurize in my PC.wait for it to be cool and than apply it,I personally like it better when its dry cause it is co much easier to put on evenly and that is why I don't hydrate if before pasteurization,this also gives me more control of the moisture because once its on I can tell just how much misting needs to be done

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7186841 - 07/17/07 06:33 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

wait, do you mix that with anything else? or do you use straight moisture control potting soil?

--------------------
Banez' PF Tek For Beginners

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: born again n00b getn my grow on [Re: Banez]
    #7186852 - 07/17/07 06:43 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Banez said:
wait, do you mix that with anything else? or do you use straight moisture control potting soil?

No additives at all,just pasteurize and apply.Yes it is that easy.Cant figure out for the life of me why some people want to make things harder on them self than they need to be

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7186856 - 07/17/07 06:45 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I'm guessing pasteurizing is slightly different from simply pressure cooking?

--------------------

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#7186876 - 07/17/07 06:53 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Yes put your jars of casing in  your pc and bring the water to a boil.

Wait for steam to escape the vent where the weight normally sits boil like five minutes.than shut off the heat and leave it alone for a half hr or so and when the half hr is up bring it to boiling again for 5 min just like you did a hf hr ago:thumbup:

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7186880 - 07/17/07 06:56 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah im not quite ready to move on to casings yet, im still tinkering around with PF Tek. and havent even had my first harvest yet. But I try to pick up new information whenever I can.

Im definetely going to try what you said since I already have some of that moisture control potting soil laying around.

--------------------

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#7186897 - 07/17/07 07:03 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

What are you going to do,just crumble and case your cakes with it

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7186902 - 07/17/07 07:05 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

nah, ill wait until I start playing with rye grain.

I just want to use up the rest of my BRF first. Im in no rush to start casing.

--------------------

OfflineNeobean
Adept Mycologist
Male

Loc: Canada
    #7187207 - 07/17/07 08:56 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Why cant you cumble and case your BRF? Nothing to lose and all to gain my friend :wink:

--------------------
If y0u want s0meting gr0wn right, y0u g0tta gr0w it y0urself!!!

OfflinejBEArWAuKeE
lapsed infant

Re: born again n00b getn my grow on [Re: Neobean]
    #7187897 - 07/17/07 12:38 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the advice, Blutjager. I'll look for a potting mix, though I'd rather not pass my $$ to Miracle Gro (yeah, I'm that kind of hippie). For casing, I was just going to use a glove box and pack 'em up, I wasn't planning on dunking or running water over the casings. I'll look more at the teks on casing.

--------------------

OfflinejBEArWAuKeE
lapsed infant

#7187918 - 07/17/07 12:40 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

My glove box (soon to be my fruiting chamber)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates