Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshroom1957
backatit
Male

Psilocybe Cubensis Growth Parameters (as per Stamets/Chilton)
    #7187887 - 07/17/07 12:35 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I've seen these questions asked over and over so here it is, straight from the man himself.

Mycelial Types: Rhizomorphic to linear; whitish in overall color but often bruising bluish where injured.
Standard Spawn Medium: Rye grain.
Fruiting Substrate: Rye grain; wheat straw; leached horse or cow manure; and/or horse manure/straw compost balanced to a 71-74% moisture content.
Method of Preparation: Pasteurization achieved through exposure to live steam for 2 hours at 140 F throughout the substrate. Straw or compost should be filled to a depth of 6-12 inches. Straw should be spawned at a rate of 2 cups/ sq.ft.

Spawn Run:
Relative Humdity:  90%
Substrate Temp: 84-86 F. Thermal death limits established at 106 F
Duration: 10-14 days
CO2: 5-10,000 ppm.
FAE: 0/hour

Type of Casing: Standard casing

Post Casing/Prepinning:
Relative Humdity:  90+%
Substrate Temp: 84-86 F.
Duration of Case Run: 5-10 days
CO2: 5-10,000 ppm.
FAE: 0/hour
Light: Incubate in total darkness

Primordia Formation:
Relative Humidity:  95-100%
Air Temperature: 74-78 F
Duration: 6-10 days
CO2: less than 5000 ppm.
FAE: 1-3/hour
Light: Diffuse natural or exposure for 12-16 hrs./day of grow-lux type fluorescent light high in blue spectra at 480 nanometer

Cropping:
Relative Humidity:  85-92%
Air Temperature: 74-78 F
CO2: less than 5000 ppm.
FAE: 1-3/hour
Flushing Pattern: Every 5-8 days
Harvest Stage: When the cap becomes convex and soon after the partial
veil ruptures
Light: Diffuse natural or exposure for 12-16 hrs./day of grow-lux type fluorescent light high in blue spectra at 480 nanometer

That looked pretty good in Wordpad. :frown:
Anyway, there it is.

--------------------
Reality is just a way of looking at things that you were taught before you were old enough to know any better! -me

For me the world is weird because it is stupendous,awesome,mysterious,unfathomable;my interest has been to convince you that you must assume responsibility for being here, in this marvelous world,in this marvelous desert,in this marvelous time. I wanted to convince you that you must learn to make every act count, since you are going to be here for only a short while;in fact,too short for witnessing all the marvels of it.
-Don Juan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Loc: Organ
Re: Psilocybe Cubensis Growth Parameters (as per Stamets/Chilton) [Re: shroom1957]
    #7188010 - 07/17/07 12:55 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

lies:mad2:

Offlinebuddhahoodlum
Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: Buddhahood
Re: Psilocybe Cubensis Growth Parameters (as per Stamets/Chilton) [Re: LayYouIn]
    #7188236 - 07/17/07 01:36 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

So what are the real parameters LayYouln?

--------------------
“I believe that water will one day be employed as fuel, that hydrogen and oxygen which constitute it, used singly or together, will furnish an inexhaustible source of heat and light, of an intensity of which coal is not capable.” – Jules Verne, T

“Ere many generations pass, our machinery will be driven by power obtainable at any point in the universe...it is a mere question of time when men will succeed in attaching their machinery to the very wheel-work of nature."
- Nikola Tesla

Edited by buddhahoodlum (07/17/07 02:35 PM)

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe Cubensis Growth Parameters (as per Stamets/Chilton) [Re: buddhahoodlum]
    #7188371 - 07/17/07 02:04 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

only thing i see wrong is the humidity which should be 100 all the time other than that it looks fine.

--------------------
"Anything i say is fictional"
  what you should look for in manure

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Loc: Figgus, Fiddia
Re: Psilocybe Cubensis Growth Parameters (as per Stamets/Chilton) [Re: xaxphaanes]
    #7188583 - 07/17/07 03:02 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

85-92% is likely to be ideal, for a casing. 100% is going to condense and cause pooling (which ruins the consistency of your casing material).

Anyway, this material is available lots of places on the site.

--------------------
FGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDS

Edited by figgusfiddus (07/17/07 03:04 PM)

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe Cubensis Growth Parameters (as per Stamets/Chilton) [Re: figgusfiddus]
    #7188622 - 07/17/07 03:12 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

lowering the humidity doesnt make sense to me since primordia forms best at 100 %.The trick with 100% humidity is making your greenhouse not have allot of water droplets form.You can acheive this by running your humidifier every few mins every hour or so and monitoring it.

--------------------
"Anything i say is fictional"
  what you should look for in manure

Offlinejash420
Thatmuthafucka..
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Where the red fern grows....
Re: Psilocybe Cubensis Growth Parameters (as per Stamets/Chilton) [Re: xaxphaanes]
    #7188670 - 07/17/07 03:24 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

straight from the man?!? I did'nt see RR, roadkill, or agar chime in at all in this post.. dont take this as flaming or anything but I think there is some perhaps ill-feelings towards Staments on this site as I think at some point he may have jacked someones photos without giving due credit.. I think that was the story I heard, and yep any of this info is easily found within this wonderful site and wealth of knowledge..

--------------------
I love poo, any friend of my mushrooms is a friend of mine..

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Psilocybe Cubensis Growth Parameters (as per Stamets/Chilton) [Re: shroom1957]
    #7189431 - 07/17/07 06:20 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

At 100% there is very little transpiration (evaporation) which is not at all beneficial to growth. With that said understand in most cases here (setups) we do not or should I say can not maintain 100% humidity with the accompanying adequate FAE's. We can certain try but it won't happen because of the FAE's.
Anything 92%+ will do absolutely fine don't let anyone kid you! With commercial setups one can maintain 100% RH along with plenty of FAE's in an almost foggy environment but that is not necessary we've proven it many times over here.
In commercial grows where many flushes are expected the higher humidities place less demand on the substrate for the water needed by the developing fruitbodies where dunking is not an option.
Bottom line 100% is a goal never reached for any length of time and there is always transpiration or at least there should be. Not rocket science just mycosense. :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Psilocybe Cubensis Growth Parameters (as per Stamets/Chilton) [Re: hyphae]
    #7190126 - 07/17/07 09:15 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Agreed. If you can maintain upper nineties, that's fine, but you don't want complete saturation because evaporation from the casing layer or substrate is a major pinning trigger. Very high humidity and lots of air exchange will give you the best pinsets.

Once growing, mushrooms do fine in the mid-ninety percent range.

I also take exception to the 84F to 86F recommendation for colonization of the substrate. I've found growth falls off at those temperatures, while molds and bacteria(if present) are encouraged.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineshroom1957
backatit
Male

Re: Psilocybe Cubensis Growth Parameters (as per Stamets/Chilton) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7190252 - 07/17/07 09:42 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I just posted this as an FYI

RR, what temps do you reccomend?

--------------------
Reality is just a way of looking at things that you were taught before you were old enough to know any better! -me

For me the world is weird because it is stupendous,awesome,mysterious,unfathomable;my interest has been to convince you that you must assume responsibility for being here, in this marvelous world,in this marvelous desert,in this marvelous time. I wanted to convince you that you must learn to make every act count, since you are going to be here for only a short while;in fact,too short for witnessing all the marvels of it.
-Don Juan

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #7190299 - 07/17/07 09:48 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Any temps up to about 81F are fine. Growth seems to flatten out or even fall off above 83F. This can easily be seen on petri dishes by measuring the growth each day from identical plates kept at different temperatures.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflinePinheadX
Stranger thanyou
Male User Gallery

Loc: TX Gulf Coast
    #7190317 - 07/17/07 09:51 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

t-shirt weather... :smile:

--------------------
If you want to find psilocybin in species that are not yet known to be psychoactive, you should do chemical tests. That way you won't get sick and die all the time.
- Alan Rockefeller

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
- Philip K. Dick

Offlineshroom1957
backatit
Male

Re: Psilocybe Cubensis Growth Parameters (as per Stamets/Chilton) [Re: PinheadX]
    #7190340 - 07/17/07 09:56 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

RR, this is off topic, but I put a cup of coffee in about a quart of water and then added the simmer water from my birdseed to a PF style cake cook. would that be good, bad, or?

--------------------

-Don Juan

Offlinexhooliganx
Munky
Male User Gallery

Loc: reno, nevada
    #7191980 - 07/18/07 08:49 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

shroom1957 said:
RR, this is off topic, but I put a cup of coffee in about a quart of water and then added the simmer water from my birdseed to a PF style cake cook. would that be good, bad, or?

you're right that is totally off topic so don't be a tool and go make your own thread

--------------------

InvisibleMankey
Male

Re: Psilocybe Cubensis Growth Parameters (as per Stamets/Chilton) [Re: xhooliganx]
    #7192040 - 07/18/07 09:13 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

shame on you

Edited by Mankey (07/18/07 09:13 AM)

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Psilocybe Cubensis Growth Parameters (as per Stamets/Chilton) [Re: jash420]
    #7192204 - 07/18/07 10:18 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

there is no ill feelings with any of us with Paul Stamets...

as far as I know.

Agar is MIA last I heard.

and RR pretty well summed up most of my feelings on this matter.

colonization temp of substrate should be lowered to 81 degrees F. IMHO

I've been saying this for years!~

I get my fastest colonization times at 81 degrees F.

as far as the picture issue...

talk to mjshroomer...aka John Allen about that.

I'm sure he could fill you in better than I can.

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinejash420
Thatmuthafucka..
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Where the red fern grows....
Re: Psilocybe Cubensis Growth Parameters (as per Stamets/Chilton) [Re: Roadkill]
    #7192576 - 07/18/07 12:25 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

agar is MIA and that sucks.. I hope the old hand is ok more than anything.. I dont know about the Staments issue none of my business really, I just thought perhaps some people were not very keen on him around here, I could care less I really dont have much of a use for his books or less than optimal edible cultures.. Everything I needed in mycology I got from the shroomery..

--------------------
I love poo, any friend of my mushrooms is a friend of mine..

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe Cubensis Growth Parameters (as per Stamets/Chilton) [Re: jash420]
    #7192650 - 07/18/07 12:45 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Stamets is the ultimate basic resource. However, he is a very old resource. His basic scientific information is great (with the exception of ideal colonization temps, as RR has shown), but his techniques are even more old-fashioned than PF (champions of the P.O.S. "drip shield").

It's a wonderful sign, to me, that hobbyist-level cultivation has advanced from the 70s to the 90s, and again from the 90s to today with the Internet. People are constantly improving upon the old, and that's always awesome. That's why Stamets and PF are valuable as hell, but they aren't taken as gospel.

--------------------

Edited by figgusfiddus (07/18/07 12:46 PM)

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Psilocybe Cubensis Growth Parameters (as per Stamets/Chilton) [Re: figgusfiddus]
    #7192710 - 07/18/07 01:04 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

The book is over 20 years old now. It could do with some serious updates, I think there are meant to be a few errors in it too, not just updates needed.

People are saying temps should be lower but maybe by 84 he meant the substrate should be at that, not your aquarium heater. i.e. your colonising substrate will produce its own heat and be a little higher than the surrounding air temp.

He also gives short estimates on the estimated viability of spores and mushrooms for cloning. There is no info on making LCs, he talks of making suspended myc syringes though does say something like "no doubt future growers will come up with new ideas".

Updates on sclerotia growing would be great. He says it should be in complete darkness, but I heard at recent seminars he recommends light, even strong lighting, like MH! With normal CFL blubs it would be easy to make a incubator where the light is enhancing the sclerotia growth AND providing heat, very cheap, and easy maintenance sterility and growing wise.

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe Cubensis Growth Parameters (as per Stamets/Chilton) [Re: blackout]
    #7192758 - 07/18/07 01:21 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

PF was last updated in what, 2003?  And it could use an overhaul, too. Most of it's from 1995 or so, if I'm not mistaken.

I wonder how many newbies spend all their time and effort and waste half their fruiting space trying to get a drip shield installed. :rolleyes: Or tubing 2-liter after 2-liter together, trying to reduce the droplets from their humidifier.

Quote:

People are saying temps should be lower but maybe by 84 he meant the substrate should be at that, not your aquarium heater. i.e. your colonising substrate will produce its own heat and be a little higher than the surrounding air temp.

RR said this was tested with petris. Petris won't make enough heat to be three or four degrees higher than their surroundings.

--------------------

Edited by figgusfiddus (07/18/07 01:25 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale