Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
How to hack a Diebold machines memory card.
    #7168795 - 07/12/07 10:50 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I just found this at another forum and thought it was something everybody should see. This test was run by the Election Officials of the State of Florida and they taped it, and here it is.

http://www.livevideo.com/video/56A9F628EE3E45DF901B9F4944D9B314/hacking-a-dieblold-voting-mach.aspx

They are not saying a rigged election has ever happened. They are just showing, how easily it could have been and still can be, with Paper ballots, using a Diebold ballot counting machine, and there is NO WAY for them to know.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: How to hack a Diebold machines memory card. [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #7169241 - 07/13/07 12:24 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

These machines are designed in secret with no opportunity for the public to study the design and look for flaws. Securing a system by obscuring its internal workings is like designing a safe that is only safe so long as someone doesn't get a hold of the blueprints.

Safes should be designed so that the blueprints are public knowledge but the combination is secret. By investing the security of the system in the secrecy of the password, not the secrecy of the system's design, you ensure that so long as the password is secure, the data is secure.

This is common practice in the computer security and encryption world.

Diebold has duped our ignorant politicians into bypassing this most basic principle of computer security.

The way to resolve these issues is to open the system design and source code to public scrutiny. That way, everyone on Earth will have an opportunity to study it and find all the possible security holes before the system is implemented. I don't know what it's going to take to convince our politicians that this is the only way to ensure these systems work as intended.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#7169449 - 07/13/07 01:08 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

There is much more in this HBO documentary called Hacking Democracy.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-365586126885215066&q="hacking+democracy&22&total=44&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

Gore got negative votes in Volusia county in 2004. Funny not funny.

I still will encourage people to vote anyway. If a county comes under investigation for fraud, your vote may end up being retrieved and counted in a full county recount. Being there also gives you the chance to get in on an entering or exit polls, and a chance to notify someone if something doesn't seem right.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: How to hack a Diebold machines memory card. [Re: Diploid]
    #7170007 - 07/13/07 06:32 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

> The way to resolve these issues is to open the system design and source code to public scrutiny.

Unfortunately, profits, lawyers, intellectual property rights, liability, etc, all come into play preventing this from happening. I don't understand why the US government doesn't sponsor an opensource initiative to create an open and secure voting platform rather than trusting a private company with something as important as voting.

> These machines are designed in secret with no opportunity for the public to study the design and look for flaws.

There is no such thing as security through obscurity... as demonstrated by the RIAA/MPAA, time and time again... (backing your point, not arguing against it)

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinetrippindad82
Trusted Cultivator of Trich
Male

Loc: down, down the hole
Re: How to hack a Diebold machines memory card. [Re: Seuss]
    #7170181 - 07/13/07 08:39 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I don't understand why the US government doesn't sponsor an opensource initiative to create an open and secure voting platform rather than trusting a private company with something as important as voting.

Hmmmm.....Campaign donations, free vacations, lobbyists, and lots of kickbacks. And...the very reason that I believe that a large number of the persons wanting to keep these systems and their OS's private have this very thing in mind.

--------------------
Trying to explain a journey to someone who has never experienced it is like trying to explain what a zebra looks like to  blind person who has never seen a horse.

^^^The above matter may be a complete fantasy that I concocted out of possible boredom.^^^

--------------------------------------

OfflineKinematics
coyote vision

Loc: Colorado
    #7170335 - 07/13/07 09:49 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:
There is much more in this HBO documentary called Hacking Democracy.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-365586126885215066&q="hacking+democracy&22&total=44&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

Gore got negative votes in Volusia county in 2004. Funny not funny.

I still will encourage people to vote anyway. If a county comes under investigation for fraud, your vote may end up being retrieved and counted in a full county recount. Being there also gives you the chance to get in on an entering or exit polls, and a chance to notify someone if something doesn't seem right.

you mean in 2000, right?

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #7170530 - 07/13/07 10:35 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

That concerns me greatly. They should bring back old paper ballots. Sure it's slower and time consuming, but at least they're more accurate.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: How to hack a Diebold machines memory card. [Re: Kinematics]
    #7170997 - 07/13/07 12:27 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, sorry that was in 2000. That HBO documentary was covering hacking investigations in both the 2000 and 2004. Did you watch it?

Toilet, I think we are all are greatly concerned about our country being literally hijacked. It's surreal that this could happen so easily.

Here is the website working on making things right again.

http://www.blackboxvoting.org/

Interesting updates are there. I just glossed over it, before posting this link. I'm going to get on their e-mail list ( A link for that is on the middle right of the page) and do what I can when calls to take action come up.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlinehummermania00
Strange Son of aBitch
Male

Re: How to hack a Diebold machines memory card. [Re: Seuss]
    #7171907 - 07/13/07 04:17 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> The way to resolve these issues is to open the system design and source code to public scrutiny.

Unfortunately, profits, lawyers, intellectual property rights, liability, etc, all come into play preventing this from happening. I don't understand why the US government doesn't sponsor an opensource initiative to create an open and secure voting platform rather than trusting a private company with something as important as voting

> These machines are designed in secret with no opportunity for the public to study the design and look for flaws.

There is no such thing as security through obscurity... as demonstrated by the RIAA/MPAA, time and time again... (backing your point, not arguing against it)

Perhaps it has to do with free enterprise and all that. Same thing in my view, why would you trust a private company with something as important as your health care and records?
I agree that the elections are so important that no private group should have anything to do with the process.

--------------------
You are a fortunate person indeed, if you can begin each day accepting the fact that during that day there will be ups and downs, good breaks and bad ones, disappointments, surprises, and unexpected turns of events.

When you have solved all the mysteries of life you long for death, for it is but another mystery of life.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder