Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBooby
Agent Mulder
 User Gallery
Insanity
    #7158318 - 07/10/07 11:42 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

It has been stated that there is a fine line between genius and insanity but who's to tell where one ends and the other begins:

1. the condition of being insane; a derangement of the mind.
2. Law. such unsoundness of mind as affects legal responsibility or capacity.
3. Psychiatry. (formerly) psychosis.
4. extreme folly; senselessness; foolhardiness.

Does anyone think the insane mind makes excuses for it's own behaviour?

--------------------
Let it not be remembered
That mycelium eats detritus and dies
But that life in all it's glory
Counts mycelium to be on it's side.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Insanity [Re: Booby]
    #7158416 - 07/11/07 12:13 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Id guess that crazies would deffinately do that. Like the mind creating a conspiricy for itself...

By their own behavior, do you mean particularly delusional behavior?

Id take a step back, does insanity always mean some kind of delusion?  maybe by definition, but...:crazy2:

--------------------
Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
  The frumious Bandersnatch!

OfflineBooby
Agent Mulder
 User Gallery
Re: Insanity [Re: daytripper23]
    #7158438 - 07/11/07 12:21 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

No, I'm just trying to plant the seed of doubt in peoples minds.

--------------------
Let it not be remembered

InvisibleEternalCowabunga
Being of Great Significance
Male User Gallery

Loc: Time and Space
Re: Insanity [Re: daytripper23]
    #7158448 - 07/11/07 12:25 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I would have to reword the question to be: how far outside of concencus reality can you venture and still communicate or share a meaningful experience with other humans?

I wouldn't say it's the mind creating a conspiracy for itself, just exploring less conventional realities. Is their behaviour a reflection of unacceptance of objective reality or acceptance of more interesting/dramatic subjective reality perhaps? Is there a difference?

Who is the master who demands that we conform to a certain reality? Question authority...

--------------------

OfflineBooby
Agent Mulder
 User Gallery
Re: Insanity [Re: EternalCowabunga]
    #7158497 - 07/11/07 12:43 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

cowabunga_dude said:
I would have to reword the question to be: how far outside of concencus reality

I'm trying to think of that quote: "Were all in this nut house together" Is that it?

--------------------
Let it not be remembered

InvisibleEternalCowabunga
Being of Great Significance
Male User Gallery

Loc: Time and Space
    #7158555 - 07/11/07 12:57 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Aw, why do you have to go and puncure my illusion of a stable and true shared reality? :crazy2:

--------------------

Offlineildanach
Dark Foreiger
Male

Loc: Nova Scotia Canada
Re: Insanity [Re: EternalCowabunga]
    #7158572 - 07/11/07 01:02 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

For anyone who truly wants to learn about the insane mind, work with octogenarians. Alzheimer's is horrible. You will question reality all over again.

--------------------
I can't tell you how many ways that I have sat and viewed my life today but I can tell you I don't think that I could find an easier way. So if I see you walking hand in hand in hand with the three armed man, you know i'll understand. -Blind Melon

OfflineThe Crow
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: giving birth
    #7159330 - 07/11/07 05:37 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Usually being "insane" is judged by majority rules and that's that. So if you just happen to think differently, its not right or wrong, its insane. Does that make sense?

I heard somewhere that when they first discovered viruses, bacteria, etc, anything that exists but is too small to be seen with the naked eye, when they first discovered that see, they didn't really have any proof and everybody just thought they were fuckin' psycho. Talkin' about itty bitty things all over your body and everything you touch is makes people sick. It was crazy-talk at the time. Uteerly unfounded crazy-talk.......

--------------------

Offlinemikebart101
Bromden
Male User Gallery

Loc: New England
Re: Insanity [Re: The Crow]
    #7159387 - 07/11/07 06:41 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I recently rode the train to Boston the other night with my friend while high. We sat in the area next to the vestibule where there is no privacy. Now, a lot of people call me insane for the things I say when under the influence and it usually freaks people out. This time however, I had a very personal conversation with my friend about life, art and other such concepts. For 45 minutes, people listened to what I was saying. They didn't look me in the eye but they never started their own conversation; they were listening. Its funny, because here and there they would participate in our convo.

IDK what exactly I'm trying to say but I think its other people who create "insanity". In today's world, a genius is labeled as insane if he talks too much. The way I see it, no matter if your crazy or a genius, people will still listen.

I want to try this again, its my new experiment on people; have audible philosophical discussion in public.

--------------------
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

OfflineBooby
Agent Mulder
 User Gallery
Re: Insanity [Re: The Crow]
    #7159478 - 07/11/07 07:58 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

The Crow said:
Usually being "insane" is judged by majority rules and that's that. So if you just happen to think differently, its not right or wrong, its insane. Does that make sense?

Moderator edit: This forum is not the appropriate venue in which to contest moderator action. I informed you as much when I removed your thread that directly contested it. Subtly referring to the matter is trolling and is not permitted. Any further continuance of this matter will not be tolerated.

--------------------
Let it not be remembered

Edited by fireworks_god (07/11/07 12:27 PM)

OfflineBooby
Agent Mulder
 User Gallery
Re: Insanity [Re: mikebart101]
    #7159484 - 07/11/07 08:01 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

mikebart101 said:
I recently rode the train to Boston the other night with my friend while high. We sat in the area next to the vestibule where there is no privacy. Now, a lot of people call me insane for the things I say when under the influence and it usually freaks people out. This time however, I had a very personal conversation with my friend about life, art and other such concepts. For 45 minutes, people listened to what I was saying. They didn't look me in the eye but they never started their own conversation; they were listening. Its funny, because here and there they would participate in our convo.

IDK what exactly I'm trying to say but I think its other people who create "insanity". In today's world, a genius is labeled as insane if he talks too much. The way I see it, no matter if your crazy or a genius, people will still listen.

I want to try this again, its my new experiment on people; have audible philosophical discussion in public.

Yes I think the research of communication while under the influence is a valuable contribution to humanity. (I'm not being sarcastic)

--------------------
Let it not be remembered

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#7159502 - 07/11/07 08:12 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

sane means healthy

normal does not

everything is easily mixed up even if you are a genius.

garnering an audience from subway riders indicates a strong exhibitionist impulse and a desire to be admired by strangers
- as if by being partially a performer (bard) maybe you become part famous.

ah, fama, fortuna, amore!!!
ask the clown if it helps

--------------------

Offlinemikebart101
Bromden
Male User Gallery

Loc: New England
Re: Insanity [Re: redgreenvines]
    #7161465 - 07/11/07 05:03 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I am not doing it to be an exhibitionist. I hate attention. The purpose behind what I was trying to do was give people the courage to be open with others.

As a side note...I noticed a very nervous guy standing next to me during that train ride and after a while he sat down beside me and struck-up a very personal conversation with the woman next to him. Now, I've heard plenty of guys hit on women but it wasn't like he was hitting on her; he was genuinely interested in what she had to say.

--------------------
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Insanity [Re: mikebart101]
    #7161620 - 07/11/07 05:34 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

that is very altruistic of you, sorry for denigrating the effort.
I admit that this can be done, and it can be appreciated as well.
it takes a good heart to pull it off.
bravo!

--------------------

Offlineevolprim
human
Male User Gallery

#7165910 - 07/12/07 02:15 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

i think there are definite schematic problems by talking about insanity.

my opinion is this: there are some people who can be deemed emotionally unhealthy.
this has nothing to do with consensus reality, but more how they FEEL in their own heads. for instance, many schizophrenic patients suffer a great deal internally and thus can be deemed emotionally unhealthy. many non-schizophrenic people suffer a great deal internally and thus can also be deemed emotionally unhealthy. these are problems that can be fixed by addressing the situation and acceptance.
there are other people who can be called forward thinkers, those are the kind that think of radical new revolutionary ideas. creative geniuses etc. these people are generally stable albeit usually quite eccentric. they have very far out ideas that fall within the realm of possibility. i.e "the world is round" back in the 1400's . people call these people "insane" because they have IDEAS that are complete revolutionary.
there are other people who are delusional. they usually have conspiracy based ideas, and are generally paranoid. now heres the tricky part there may be grains of truth to their ideas, however the fact of the matter is they take these truths EXTREMELY personally and at that point it reaches delusion, and leads to more suffering. for instance there may or may not be aliens, however the schizophrenic patient believes that not only are there aliens, but they visited him last night and want to steal his brain. an exageration but you get the point.

as to the idea of one shared reality. heres what i think. people have mind bending trips where what they see feels more REAL than real. this leads some people to believe that reality is ALL in their heads and that there is no shared consensus reality. again there is some truth to this but not entirely.
the fact of the matter is if every human being died right now. the world around us would still stand. REALITY would still be here. however as we are alive we all perceive the world differently. an example of this is a color blind person versus a color seeing person. the color blind person sees the same object differently. who is to say that there is any real color to the so called object at all. we see only a certain frequency of colors and so well never really know if the color we see is the TRUE color of something. therefore to some extent reality is a perception. HOWEVER, if we all gathered in a room , we could agree that there is a ROOF over our heads. anyone who didnt see the roof would be considered delusional. because in reality, there IS a roof. if we all walked out of the room the roof would still be there. we dont DEFINE the roof by being observes, rather we all perceive the ROOF that exists differently.

this is just my opinion but i have danced around with many theories before. at the end of the day no matter how far OUT one gets the reality is this. if you are staring down the barrell of a shot gun, no amount of believing that this reality is only a dream and the shot gun is all in your head, is gonna stop your head from getting blown off. a silly example obviously but somewhat gets across the point im trying to make.

OfflineGrok
Has Been a Bad Boy
 User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures Flag
Re: Insanity [Re: evolprim]
    #7167282 - 07/12/07 08:06 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

evolprim said:
as to the idea of one shared reality. heres what i think. people have mind bending trips where what they see feels more REAL than real. this leads some people to believe that reality is ALL in their heads and that there is no shared consensus reality. again there is some truth to this but not entirely.

the fact of the matter is if every human being died right now. the world around us would still stand. REALITY would still be here.

I'm not so sure about this. It's the the 'tree falling in the forest and if nobody is there it makes no sound' example. If there is no perception of reality, it may not exist as we now perceive it, just as the sound in the forest would not be a sound. To say otherwise is purely assumption.

insanity is relative

--------------------
Entropy is increasing.
To send me a PM, go to my journal

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology