Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJSshroom
dont be paranoid, just aware

Loc: I love that spore drop
Re: A word about Contams [Re: ildanach]
    #7156467 - 07/10/07 01:18 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

sounds like you have a general allergy to fungus. To bad for you its the psilly kind

--------------------
First Grow No more carpet tek

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSef
Warrior of Purgatory
Male User Gallery

Loc: In your computer
Re: A word about Contams [Re: strawberryscoop]
    #8466809 - 05/31/08 08:56 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

strawberryscoop said:
I would never eat a mushroom from a contaminated cake...nothing ruins a trip like thinking you're dying.

Speaking of DYING, can anyone point me to a PICTURE of the purple/pink contam that causes meningitis?

thanks!
xoxo

Ditto ftw. Reading this thread just makes me wonder sometimes.....

--------------------
~~~ Your question was probably answered below ~~~
Rye Spawning
50/50+ Casing and Casing
Monotub OR Monotub
When I say *I* in a post, it is simply for ease of posting. I am always, of course, referring to a friend of mine from highschool whom I haven't seen in 15 years.

OfflineDr.Feild Monkey
Corpse
Male

Re: A word about Contams [Re: Karen]
    #10150852 - 04/12/09 07:03 AM (15 years, 8 days ago)

This read was a great wake up for myself not to lead anyone to strange ideas but I suffered a CNS Lesion and lost my memory, I ASSURE U All that this was not self induced by any way, I won't get into detail.

I am having great Dreams and hopes of Success once I pick up a Pressure Cooker and some Spores;  G and I are gonna do the year round thing; and involving one of the Hallucinogens I Cherish; I live in the Centre of the 'Land', so Psilocybe Shrooms around here are very rare in nature.  I DON'T Want to brew up any Botulism or AIDS (hehe)..just kidding

Thanks for bringing up the SO MOST Important Topic! When I tryed at 17 It never dawned on me what I could end up producing, so this time I'm hoping P. Cubensis under the Bed ALL THE WAY!

Thanks to the P.C. God, for through my fears directing me through life safely. 

*Never Cook Acid with Morning Glory* ~ A word from a good Friend Luke

OfflineMrHankyTheXmsPoo
Tripper
Male

Re: A word about Contams [Re: Dr.Feild Monkey]
    #10297368 - 05/06/09 03:07 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Shit, this is one of the most interesting and probably important mushroom threads Ive found so far personally...

SWIM just had to throw out TWELVE JARS that all had mycelium showing because of a grey nasty smelling mold.  I think it may have been "cobweb mold" but it was SWIMs first attempt at spawning mushrooms, so thats just my guess at what it was.

Anyways I was dumping SWIM's jars in the trash a couple days ago and stupidly took a few big inhales close to it, and all of these jars had to be like around 75% colonized with the gray shit.  Now, I realize this was a retarded move.  I had a dirty chest cough the rest of the day and was like coughing my fucking lungs out right after I did it.  Now its mostly gone away, its just like a small phlemy cough, but its definitly going away.  Thank fucking god it wasnt a worse kind of mold, i am relieved.  I was thinking about going to a doctor... I still might if it doesnt go away or gets bad again.  Ill just tell the doc I was cleaning a moldy fridge, that sounds believable lol

I like this thread tho... interesting stuff on here

--------------------
If a firefighters business can go up in smoke, and a plumbers business can go down the drain, can a hooker get layed off?

OfflineAlpheus
Stranger
Re: A word about Contams [Re: MrHankyTheXmsPoo]
    #10411085 - 05/27/09 11:13 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Funny, while reading this thread SWIM had to throw out a jar because a slimey grey & red mass that was taking over its own little corner of the glass.  Before that SWIM's last casualty was to the black mold of doom.

Offlinejinzakk
Stranger
Re: A word about Contams [Re: Alpheus]
    #10795939 - 08/03/09 11:43 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

quick question. im a newbie on mushroom growing and i couldnt find anything about this topic.

what if i boiled a contaminated mushrooms and make a tea out of it? is that gonna kill any harmful bacterias / molds?

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: A word about Contams [Re: jinzakk]
    #10798974 - 08/04/09 02:03 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Maybe, maybe not.

The thing is that it doesn't really matter if they are live or dead. The spores that some people are allergic to will still cause a reaction weather they're live or dead. Some of the toxins that might be present will be destroyed by heat, but some won't.

You'd be taking your chances the same as if you ate some moldy bread. 99.999% of the time you'd be fine, but you can never tell if some sort of rare bacteria or mold was present. It's extremely rare, but it's possible.

As far as is known there's never been a verified case here of medical problems from contaminated substrate or mushrooms.

-FF

OfflineChrismcd13
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: A word about Contams [Re: littlegnome]
    #10938697 - 08/25/09 11:56 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Hi everyone, I am very interested in growing magic mushrooms and my roommate told me that it would be a very bad idea because the spores can get into the ceiling and walls and create toxic mold which then can get the house condemned. Is this true? and if so can i just put a air filter beside my terrarium?

OfflineABC
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: A word about Contams [Re: Chrismcd13]
    #10940598 - 08/26/09 10:15 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

That is untrue. The mushroom spores will only produce mushroom mycelium, which will only produce mushroom fruits, which drop mushroom spores.

However, it is a valid concern, because growing mushrooms needs a humid environment. This humid environment benefits the mushrooms AND foreign mold (which is floating around everywhere). So you might experience contaminated substrate

Most home air filters will do nothing but catch large particles such as dust and dirt; they will not filter spores from the air.

I recommend this video series:
http://www.mushroomvideos.com/BRF-Pf-Tek

Also, don't grow if your roommate disagrees

Offlinerosco420i
Hobbyist
 User Gallery

Re: A word about Contams [Re: WildCardsRevenge]
    #11046293 - 09/12/09 12:31 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I have jars that have been colonizing for about 2 weeks now and a couple of them are developing faint yellow on the oustide of the cake. i'm just wondering if this is normal or if i should just chuck them and try again. or if it's possible to do a transfer with an uncontaminated piece of cake to transfer to a sterile one to start over. thanks a lot for your help.

--------------------

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man"
                                                                            - Hunter S. Thompson.

OfflineABC
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: A word about Contams [Re: rosco420i]
    #11065294 - 09/15/09 05:25 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

You're better off starting a new thread and posting a picture of your jar. Yellow could mean metabolites, but it could also mean mold.

There's no way to transfer it reliably. If you have a sterile jar, just inoculate it with spores

OfflineChad_7
Stranger
Male
Re: A word about Contams [Re: rosco420i]
    #11100965 - 09/21/09 03:03 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

rosco420i said:
I have jars that have been colonizing for about 2 weeks now and a couple of them are developing faint yellow on the oustide of the cake. i'm just wondering if this is normal or if i should just chuck them and try again. or if it's possible to do a transfer with an uncontaminated piece of cake to transfer to a sterile one to start over. thanks a lot for your help.

I had a jar that I forgot about on my computer desk,I found it the other day and it had some yellow in it, but it was full of shrooms. I picked the mushrooms from the healthy mycelium and let them dry, now I'm debating on whether to eat them or not.

I won't be gettin my hands on any shrooms for a while, should I eat these? Are there any serious health risks? Sorry no pics.

OfflineABC
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: A word about Contams [Re: Chad_7]
    #11107987 - 09/22/09 05:53 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

how old are they? the yellow is likely to be metabolites

don't eat the mushrooms if they are rotting or stink of bacteria

OfflineTuBlynd
Stranger
Re: A word about Contams [Re: ABC]
    #11967304 - 02/05/10 08:23 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

This was much needed - Thanks.

Offlinerave420
open minded
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Vancouver Island
Re: A word about Contams [Re: neutralizer]
    #12966842 - 07/28/10 01:48 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

>How come we don't have to worry about contaminated mushrooms in the wild

because contaminated mushrooms in the wild RARELY if ever survive long enough. They die pretty fast in nature, it's our man made perfect conditions that can have two things growing beside each other while eventually coming to a balance. The more vectors you introduce, the less likely a mushroom becomes to survive contamination.

OfflineSporatic
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: A word about Contams [Re: rave420]
    #13926616 - 02/08/11 10:22 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Good question. I guess mother nature is the best mycologist around...

Invisiblekaskade
Stranger

Re: A word about Contams [Re: littlegnome]
    #15314388 - 11/02/11 06:31 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

littlegnome said:
last time i sniff funky cakes to see how funky it is

same lulz

OfflineArchosargus
mycomusician
Male

Loc: Florida
Re: A word about Contams [Re: kaskade]
    #15521895 - 12/15/11 04:56 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Wanted to gratefully thank you for this thread and the posts of YSJ.  I know I will be far less tempted to "go in unmasked" for a save on my contams on agar now. I am embarrassed, in regard to my 3 decade expertise in aquaculture, that I did not fundamentally grasp the exponentially  greater spore ratio in a cultured mold...of any species vrs. naturally occouring , or dispersed ammounts in a non-cultured environment.
Quite and eye-opener , and again : Thanks Shroomery

Archo

Offlineblazedmonkey
Stranger
Re: A word about Contams [Re: WildCardsRevenge]
    #15680402 - 01/17/12 08:52 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

good info in here thx

InvisibleCrumpet
go sranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia Flag
Re: A word about Contams [Re: blazedmonkey]
    #16954819 - 10/02/12 08:45 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

one potato, two potato three potato, four

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale