Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
Re: July 1st - My Acid Anniversary [Re: Amoeba665]
    #717347 - 07/02/02 05:31 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the compliment!
I have read some of Gurdjieff and Ouspensky over the years. I wasn't able to resonate with the writings in the '70's, but I tried again last year, prompted by an acquaintance (a physical education teacher/lifeguard who I thought was immersed in the Work, but only 'randomly' picked up a couple of books). Once again, I am stuck in the particular 'flavor' of the writings that seem to derive from Sufism, and through them, Indian philosophical ideas. Both of these avenues are fine in their 'pure' forms, but this school boggles me. Perhaps because I am a 'word' person, not a 'numbers' person, and not a musician at all. I do believe that we are in prison. This particular notion is even quoted in BE HERE NOW. This is a Gnostic idea as well, as the fleshy (sarkic) and mentally (psychic) identified people comprise most of humanity, while the spiritual (pneumatic) are the Awakened ones, and these are rare. The first two are caught in the deterministic 'machinery' of body and mind. They are fairly mechanical, yet believe in their uniqueness. The pneumatics are not interested in uniquenes, though they appear so by the hylics and psychics. The pneumatics are actually the most universal beings.

As to the meaning of the universe, I would point to the works of the 20th century priest-biologist-mystic Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, who postulated the notion of 'The Omega Point.' The teleology, the 'end' to which God's creation is directed, is a 'transubstantiation' of the entire physical universe into Christ - The Alpha and Omega - The Beginning and the End. The transubstantiation of the Eucharist on the altar is a symbolic Center from which all of creation begins to become 'The Body of Christ,' the Being of God. Chardin has been accused of being pantheistic and hence heretical by theological standards, but with some fine-tuning, perhaps into panENtheism, it is workable by Christian standards. The idea lends Ultimate Meaning to the 'pain and violence' from which the universe was born, and which is recapitulated in microcosmic form with every birth - be it animate or inanimate, as with the volcanic birth of a mountain or the birth of a planet, spewed out from a star. We do our own part in the responsibility to awaken, and then to teach/manifest the Truth discovered by awakening, to others. This is the true preaching of the Gospel - not just a social dimension, or a psychological dimension, but transformation at every level of process in the universe: cosmological, physical, chemical, biological, etc.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: July 1st - My Acid Anniversary [Re: ]
    #717406 - 07/02/02 06:28 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I would like to very, very strongly suggest that you read Jean Shinoda Bolen's 'Gods in Every Man.' She spends whole chapters on elaborating the archetypal personality structures of the greek gods of antiquity, and relating them to human personality types. I, for example, am primarily a Hermes man, with a good measure of Apollo, and some handyman Hephaestus. Even though the name Mark derives from Mars (Ares), I am not much of a warrior, although I've trained in Judo and Jujitso years ago. Little to no Zeus in my makeup. Fabulous book!

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: July 1st - My Acid Anniversary [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #717409 - 07/02/02 06:34 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I'll put it on my list.

Cheers,

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
Re: July 1st - My Acid Anniversary [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #717415 - 07/02/02 06:40 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

This is one of the nicest posts I've read here in awhile.

MarkostheGnostic, I wish you another 30 years of adventurous enlightenment

Happy Anniversary.

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Offlinehongomon
old hand
Loc: comin' at ya
    #717630 - 07/02/02 08:41 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Those are new terms, but I agree with your distinction between opinion and verifiable. However, as a skeptic I may be more demanding than your definition allows:

"If you and I agree that we are looking at an object and neither of us is willfully lying then the object is said to exist."

For one thing, "willfully" here is hampered by the same presuppositions as my "voluntary" was. I've been in a room with devout Catholics who were certain they could see the Virgin Mary in a lightbulb. I don't think you would argue that it was the case, though there was no willful lying.

Anonymous

Re: July 1st - My Acid Anniversary [Re: hongomon]
    #717654 - 07/02/02 08:50 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

LOL!!! Sounds like a case of self-deception.

Yes, I was being too generic with my definition out of laziness. I am sure you knew what I meant though.

Mother Mary in a light bulb! Wow, that sounds like a cussing phrase!

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: July 1st - My Acid Anniversary [Re: Lana]
    #717973 - 07/02/02 11:37 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Thankyou Lana. I've received several notes of appreciation, perhaps I should balance the intellectual posts with some emotional ones! Peace.

--------------------

Offlinehongomon
old hand
Loc: comin' at ya
    #718155 - 07/02/02 01:46 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Wasn't that from one of the old Batman series? "Holy Mary mother of Jesus in a lightbulb, Batman!"

I hope that doesn't land me in a hotspot with anyone...

Anonymous

Re: July 1st - My Acid Anniversary [Re: hongomon]
    #719481 - 07/03/02 03:42 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I wouldn't worry about it. Mother Mary is pretty forgiving.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder