Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineast
multiple rubermaide containers
    #715280 - 07/01/02 08:18 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hi,

My Panda Bear just purchased 50 rubermaid containers, the kind that are about 2ft tall and is now putting plexi glass lids on them all.. and wireing in LED lights on the inside of them..

what he was wondering is.. what is an efficient way to keep humidity in a large ammount of containers..

he has read about perlite and linking cool mist humidifers to the terrariums..

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Pictures&Number=666986&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=1&vc=1&PHPSESSID=

that is the method he will be using to do it.. have a tray in the bottom of the container.. with pretty much the same casing materials..

thanks

Edited by ast (07/01/02 08:20 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleWe_come_in_peace
old hand

Loc: Alpha Centauri
Re: multiple rubermaide containers [Re: ast]
    #715469 - 07/01/02 10:12 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

LOL 50 rubbermaid containers..Thats a hella lot of shrooms you plan on growin.

InvisibleShaw

Re: multiple rubermaide containers [Re: We_come_in_peace]
    #715723 - 07/01/02 12:35 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

that's about $200. sure your not in over your head?

--------------------

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace
Re: multiple rubermaide containers [Re: Shaw]
    #715783 - 07/01/02 01:20 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hmm

Perlite might be overly messy to prepare for 50 rubbermades. Coolmist would be expensive.

Do you really need 50 containers hehehe. Thats shitloads of mushrooms.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Offlineast
    #715943 - 07/01/02 02:32 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

6.89 / each per rubbermaid.. pretty expensive.. canadian funds though.

how many of them could the panda hook to one cool mist humdifier? maybe the panda could buy a large industrial humidifier that could be "Teed" off multiple times to 50 or more rubbermaids..

anyone ever hear of doing this?

or is there better ways to bulk grow not using rubbermaid containers?

Invisiblemeatman
Goner
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Underwater Lake
    #715986 - 07/01/02 02:53 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

cardboard boxes with trash bag liners.

--------------------
"I don't do drugs. I am drugs." -Dali
Everything I post is a complete fabrication made for your entertainment.

Offlinedrbella
    #716441 - 07/01/02 05:32 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

How many trays do each of your tubs hold? With that money involved maybe you should have though of investing in something like Anno has or had. That rack shelving unit with the martha stuart Zip cover.I think this would work better than 50 tubs.

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: multiple rubermaide containers [Re: drbella]
    #716587 - 07/01/02 07:00 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Just imagining a cleaning cycle for 50 rubbermaids. . .when you are on that large of a scale, you should just stick plastic sheeting to the walls and go for it.
With 50 rubbermaids, even the best part of cultivating--picking the fruits of your labor--will become a pain in the ass. And just imagine a gnat infestation. . .AGGH!!

Just be careful amigo, best luck.

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: multiple rubermaide containers *DELETED* [Re: ast]
    #716798 - 07/01/02 08:24 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by phrozendata

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: multiple rubermaide containers [Re: phrozendata]
    #716804 - 07/01/02 08:25 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

moreover, ripper had some excellent humidifcation thoughts that would probably be better / easier in the application you're thinking:

---- start rippers work ----

Well let me say first off the person who though of using perlite for humidification was VERY creative. Not only does it do a great job on humidification, its CHEAP! Now the only problem I see with it is this. Perlite humidification requires some time to build up to the proper humidity(2-3 hours ?) and most of the time people aren't running pumps because they don't want to introduce non-humid air into the chamber. Also traditional methods of using perlite require using a layer of perlite along the bottom and yackidy smack.
Materials:

Perlite

Pitcher(SP?) (used for ice tea and kool-aid)

Water(tap water or distilled)

H2O2-Hydrogen Peroxide(optional but recommended)

So heres what I did. I took a pitcher(SP?) that was 5" in diameter, I filled it about 1/2 way full with dry perlite, then I added water(making sure to get all the perlite on top wet to weigh it down) until about 3" of water was at the bottom, now I added about 50 mL of H2O2(Hydrogen Peroxide 3% solution) spread over the top of this, I placed this into the chamber, now I took a air pump for a fish tank(I used the one with dual outputs) ran the hose into the chamber and down into the water under the perlite. I leave this running 24/7.

Now the benefits of this vs. the traditional method:
#1 it takes up less space...
#2 it introduces fresh air
#3 the hydrogen peroxide added to the top seems to evaporate into the air preventing things like cobweb mold and trichoderma(not completely but it made a significant difference, BTW- I ran it both ways to see if it was just placebo and it showed up to have a positive impact)
#4 since theres fresh air being introduced along with humidity the only time the chamber needs to be opened is for picking!
#5 this seems to bring the chamber to 90-95% humidity in about 60 minutes vs. the other method
#6 cleaning it up is a snap, just removing a container, rather then scooping perlite off the bottom(pain in the ASS!)

And this isn't just for small chambers.. this method was used on an aquarium that was 13"x48"x20"... only about 6 cups of perlite in the container and around 1/3 of a gallon of water were used...

---- end rippers work ----

I dunno!

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

Anonymous

#717308 - 07/02/02 04:44 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Offlinedrbella
    #717505 - 07/02/02 07:48 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

what a great Tek!! IS this posted anywhere else? It should be!

Thanks

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: multiple rubermaide containers [Re: drbella]
    #717558 - 07/02/02 08:09 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

It's called common sense not a TeK. I use a similar system, the difference is that i use geolite at the bottom and fill it with h2o/h2o2 till it reaches the geolite level, the geolite is used so the pans/cakes have a fundation and don't sink, then i put a thin layer of perlite, tube with airstone goes bellow the perlite layer and into the water and geolite.

Peace,
MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineI_and_I
journeyman
Loc: stuck in the middle
Re: multiple rubermaide containers [Re: MAIA]
    #717768 - 07/02/02 09:39 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

actually it is a tech im sure i dont have to explain what tek is short for..? any ways its his technique cause thats the way he uses it it your tek if you use it a different way. but speaking of common sence why are you adding perlite to geo-lite???????????stop trying to flame every one with out practicing some common sence yourself . and its a good tek with no clean up...that why its good

Offlinerxtc
Stranger
Re: multiple rubermaide containers [Re: I_and_I]
    #718173 - 07/02/02 01:57 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

LEDs??? for light to initiate pinning??
what color? white blue??
ive never heard of this.. sounds kinda dumb but i wanna hear it..
what are you going to power them all with?
i hope you have a digi cam...

InvisibleSumGuy
addict

#718377 - 07/02/02 04:04 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

stranger... you're in way over your head... first off plexi glass lids and LED's for that many containers? you're nuts. Not only is what you're doing a long time in prison but you're going about it all wrong. Are you using cakes too?

--------------------
-SumGuy :cool:

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: multiple rubermaide containers [Re: I_and_I]
    #719389 - 07/03/02 12:30 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hey buddy, i surely know what Tek stands for, i see the word Tek applied many times in the wrong way, you don't have to use the word tek in every technique you see, most of them should be considered as procedures of the technique not a bunch of teks. Being or not a tek, the truth is he's offering his knowlodge to the comunity, i know phrozendata from this boards for a long time, he also has helped me before and by no means i did any critics to its job, i did my part by saying how i build my terrarium, in a diferent way but with the same objective in mind. If you don't understand what i've said or decribed then it's your problem, if you think i need common sense then i think you need to read and experience more and not act like a moron, if there's someone flaming around here that one is you, i just like to see everything in its right place, you can blame me for that if you want.

Peace,
MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineI_and_I
journeyman
Loc: stuck in the middle
Re: multiple rubermaide containers [Re: MAIA]
    #719557 - 07/03/02 05:14 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

wow a reaction i wasnt exspecting............who pissed in youre cheerios...if you have a problem with me pm me well talk lets not take up space on this thread>im sorry you took offence to what i said its just my opinion.

InvisibleDazedSol
old hand

#719815 - 07/03/02 08:18 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Why not just use casings and give it a spray and a fanning once in the morning and once at night.......Dont make this more complex than it has to be Geolite or perlite would also work(better for cakes prolly).......damn...had more to say but totally just lost my train of thought

::edit:: muh....this was already mentioned oops

--------------------
Peace,
Adam

Edited by DazedSol (07/03/02 08:26 AM)

InvisibleMilletV
--intransition--

Loc: Rockies
    #720612 - 07/03/02 02:36 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I hope you like fanning tubs.........hehehe.......Your not going to get the air exchange/movement you need to do what you have in mind. Your room will heat up and be very humid, but be very stale with a high co2 level in the air.

If I were to shoot my load and go for yeild id buy a humidistat from fungi perfecti, a shitload of kitty litter tubs, a huge ultrasonic humidifier, a small fan, a couple of large room type hepa filters, a roll of plastic, some duct tape and some saw horses and sheets of plywood. Id install a small vent fan too.

1 kitty litter tub would make a 1/4 lb in four weeks with proper care, and no fanning. You could put 16 1 x 2' tubs on a sheet of plywood, sawhorses keeping it off the floor.

Where you getting your spawn and substrate. I recon one of those tubs will hold 5-8 lb of dung, straw, whatever.....Spawn bag a tub sounds about right.

Millet

Offlineast
    #722087 - 07/04/02 07:12 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

SumGuy, how about suggesting some better ways to do it.. I have use for 50 rubbermaide contrainers as storage.. I can start doing somthing else now.. still waiting on my spore sryringes..

OfflineMadDhAdDeR420
enthusiast
Loc: Arizona
    #722107 - 07/04/02 07:25 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

i use perlite and it works good. I herd what you do is u getperlite and put it on the bottom about 3 in. or so. Then fill water up to about an inch or so. So it is very wet on the bottom but no soggy. Get a air pump (like a fish tank pump) and run it under the perlite into the water. Put a couple holes on the top for air exchange and you don't need to worry about opening it for fresh air or nothing. The only time u should have to open it is when u want to pick ur fruits. this is a very good idea

--------------------
Live life to the fullest.

OfflineBlueJay
Pan Man
 User Gallery
Loc: Christs' peace patrol
Re: multiple rubermaide containers [Re: MadDhAdDeR420]
    #722545 - 07/04/02 12:09 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Make sure you put poly fill in these holes for contams.They will not fall in and you can also buy a hepa that goes into the airline to keep from pumping in dirty air...Got 8 flushes of KOH's before they exhausted and got contam....Prolly from opening to pick.....Pans get HUGE with lots of fresh air...working on mexicans now.....J

--------------------
Respect all, Fear None!
The Peacemaker

Cacti are my new life.....

Edited by BlueJay (07/04/02 12:10 PM)

Offlinebabyshroom
addict
Loc: Florida
    #728237 - 07/07/02 03:06 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I'd ditch the perlite, casings, cakes, whatever. Big old boxes like that? Go bulk. Use whatever your substrate is - cakes, seed, colonized whatever.....and spawn straw. Or dung. Or both. Straw is CHEAP. Dung is cheaper, if you have access.
I'm not sure about your boxes, but foaf uses letter size file shape boxes - a little taller with snap on lids. They were clear to begin with - just covered the bottoms and lower sides with black electrical tape. Incubate straw (what she uses) after spawning, case when ready. Fan 2 times a day (more when there is time), pick & patch. She religiously gets 3 healthy flushes, and easily more when she has time to "baby" them a little. When a box slows down, she just dumps it out back and cooks up some more straw. She uses seed, but started with cakes. Come to think of it, her first bulk grow was in a tall container, and she got babies as tall as 16" with many 3+ inch diameter caps - she spawned the straw with flour cakes that time. Could have been the strain - that was the last time she grew b+. Her current containers typically turn out 10-12" babies, and plenty of them!

--------------------
I don't really know anyone who grows mushrooms. I just come here for fun.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract