Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Offlinedeepr
the dancer

Loc: nzl
Re: world overpopulation [Re: dalorean]
    #713200 - 06/30/02 12:10 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

this thread has dramatically gone from overpopulation to environmental issues
dramatic indeed, they are one and the same billy boy

and i only get the feeling that all of you are for nature, and against man. how can you be against yourselves?
there are many good people in the world... however not all men are equal in their attitudes, there needs to be a turnaround in human behaviour in relation to our environment.... it isnt a renewable resource... do you realise that in 200 years at this rate, homo sapiens are all going to be dead? cant you see this is a problem...? can you crawl out of your ass and acknowledge the fact that the way we are brought up and the way society is configured is wrong? The only reason this isnt enacted is because its going to take a downturn in the economy to realise, and countries like america can afford to do this without suffering but will only do so if public opinion forces them... they pretend to appease so excess indignation will not come their way... its people like you who fuel your corrupt machine, and people like you who are going to kill humanity, not greenies

how can people like you take natures side 100% and knock humanity so hard when you are human yourself?
wake up and realise that tree huggers are trying to protect the human race!!!!! they are more forward thinking than your mill working ass and are trying to save humans long term. think about what others are saying.. use your head
the only reason im telling you this is because you are at the shroomery and share a common interest in mind expanding drugs and should be able to acknowledge the difference between morally right and wrong... i can understand your anger at paper mills been shut down because of greenies, but if this doesnt happen, where is it going to end? the only way we are going to survive long term is going to be through protection of the very places that we are destroying, we cannot just abuse them , then conjure up a cure, nature doesnt work like this...... as steve said... theres a whole lot more to a forest than the trees... ;]

but at least i still support people, and not the dumb chimps that we aint even related to(you better not believe in the big bang, either).
you mean evolution I take it? tell me are you a radical creationist or christian?
the big bang is a seperate theory from evolution boyo... and give me some reasons as to why i should disregard the fossil record, genetical heridity, pan-cultural features and our heritage? otherwise, its important to have proof of what you are saying, not just to regurgitate the main thrust of some redneck journalists column...
serum albumin and dna hybridisation tests have shown human dna to be 98% identical to chimpanzees.... we shared a common ancestor with these 'dumb chimps'... do you know that they can be taught sign language... hey AMERICAN sign language !!! and can teach other apes signs? the only reason that we are more advanced than these individuals is because we graduated to two legs rather than four... and this wasnt very long ago...
30 000 years ago, our close relatives the neandertals... homo neanderthal died out because of wamer temperatures ... if he was alive today, would you be as prejudice towards these hominids? they lived in groups, they communicated with each other, they felt fear, anger, joy, pain, sorrow all of it, just like us, they buried their dead with possessions, they created art, they even walked on two legs, but they were not as flexible as us, and couldnt adapt to change in the environment so they died out... they even had larger brains then us, and their most recognisable difference was only a bigger nose, they might even work at the mill with you if they were alive today.... would you want to destroy them because they arent as good as you..?
when darwin released his theory of evolution, it was abhorred by people like you because suddenly we werent gods special litte creatures, we were just as good as anything else alive...

bring on your creationist arguments, it might pay to research beforehand tho, and educate yourself as you wouldnt want to make a bigger fool of yourself...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehongomon
old hand
Loc: comin' at ya
Re: world overpopulation [Re: deepr]
    #713233 - 06/30/02 12:21 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

PsilocibicMind, take note: THIS is a good post.

(edit: um, meaning deepr's...)

Edited by hongomon (06/30/02 01:01 PM)

Offlinedalorean
Loc: AZ
Re: world overpopulation [Re: deepr]
    #713238 - 06/30/02 12:23 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

okay. i leap before i look. but i was thrown a harsh impression of enviro's when growing up. and obviously noone agrees w/ me on anything. so shoot me in the head over it.

OfflineShroomalicious
You may say I'ma dreamer...

Loc: The Shire
    #713247 - 06/30/02 12:31 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

okay. i leap before i look. but i was thrown a harsh impression of enviro's when growing up. and obviously noone agrees w/ me on anything. so shoot me in the head over it.

Excuse me if I don't shoot you in the head . To be honest admitting that you "leap before you look" impresses me very much...if everyone could admit their faults and try to grow from them the world would be even more enjoyable then it is.

--------------------
Shroomalicious - :smile: I love you and in doing so I love myself, because we ARE all one :smile: - "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth leaves the whole world blind and toothless". - Mahatma Ghandi

Edited by Shroomalicious (06/30/02 12:32 PM)

Offlinehongomon
old hand
    #713304 - 06/30/02 01:12 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

"and obviously noone agrees w/ me on anything. so shoot me in the head over it."

Would you settle for a kick in the butt?

I did agree with you, and I said so. I think you have a good idea of a more responsible way of life, which is what environmentalism is, but that you've been rubbed wrong by environmentalist activism, and so you resist the idea entirely.

To take this thread in a new direction--what do you think could/should be done to accomodate people, towns, economies that are displaced, as your father was, by moves to protect the environment?

Offlinefindbuddha
findingforbiddenmoments,unmediatedexperience
Loc: Australia
Re: world overpopulation [Re: hongomon]
    #713378 - 06/30/02 02:00 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Life on earth will survive everything we put it through. Humans won't be around to see it though.

And anyway, what are the benefits of living the destructive lifestyle we do now? Why should our species go through a long and painful extinction for the sake of a few old white men? Money isn't a requirement for life.

Offlinedalorean
Re: world overpopulation [Re: findbuddha]
    #713403 - 06/30/02 02:23 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

like i mentioned before. balance is the key. its fine to take from the forest and use it for economical benefits, as long as we can be preservative at the way we approach this. giving back the equal amount that we take so we don't dent the car. we just put a new fender on it! or even give it a whole new engine! this is the way i wish the world could work. keep things level on both sides of the plane. things always tend to lean on one side or the other. emence logging, rapid reproducing, and lunchie munchies are obviousely doing more harm then good. but solitair forests, virgins running around, and skinny winnies will only stall vitality and get us nowhere. theres a calm place in the center of the tornado that humanity needs to settle in. otherwise we get whooshed away.

Offlinedalorean
    #713405 - 06/30/02 02:24 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

and like i said before. i wish not to get on the wrong foot w/ all you and be a stubborn ass. cuz i too wish for a perfect world.

Offlinedeepr
the dancer

Loc: nzl
    #713415 - 06/30/02 02:30 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

emence logging, rapid reproducing, and lunchie munchies are obviousely doing more harm then good. but solitair forests, virgins running around, and skinny winnies will only stall vitality and get us nowhere
thats a relief... you are crazy...;]

OfflinePsilocybicMind
contaminated

Loc: CA- LA
    #714416 - 06/30/02 08:42 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

very well hongomon , you are entitled to your opinon, but i read the statement as it is.. and i stand by what i wrote...

--------------------
Suspended in the darkness of
The cool and still Boulder Creek Night
I hear the song of the cricket
And locusts and frogs
And I wonder
Is this the life of a Mushroom

- - - Barbara E Hanson

OfflinePsilocybicMind
contaminated

Loc: CA- LA
    #714432 - 06/30/02 08:49 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

In reply to:

and obviously noone agrees w/ me on anything.

umm.... no comment

--------------------
Suspended in the darkness of
The cool and still Boulder Creek Night
I hear the song of the cricket
And locusts and frogs
And I wonder
Is this the life of a Mushroom

- - - Barbara E Hanson

OfflineShroomalicious
You may say I'ma dreamer...

Loc: The Shire
    #714472 - 06/30/02 09:08 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

balance is the key.

Amen.

what do you think could/should be done to accomodate people, towns, economies that are displaced

I think we should devise a system so those people are offered other jobs. Easier said than done, but do-able.

--------------------
Shroomalicious - :smile: I love you and in doing so I love myself, because we ARE all one :smile: - "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth leaves the whole world blind and toothless". - Mahatma Ghandi

Offlinehongomon
old hand
Re: world overpopulation [Re: PsilocybicMind]
    #714679 - 06/30/02 10:50 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Right on. I can't argue with that.

Offlinehongomon
old hand
Re: world overpopulation [Re: Shroomalicious]
    #714689 - 06/30/02 10:56 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

"I think we should devise a system so those people are offered other jobs. Easier said than done, but do-able."

I agree whole-heartedly! And if environmentalism doesn't find a way to accomodate this idea, it's shooting itself in the foot.

Sustainable living, from solar power to organic foods, will be a big part of our future economy--I don't see why there can't be a transition.

(edit: oh, and "balance is the key", which I completely agree with, was dalorean's comment. (no doubt you knew this, I just wanted to point it out, cause it's what it's all about.)

Edited by hongomon (06/30/02 11:01 PM)

Offlinedalorean
    #715450 - 07/01/02 10:00 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

yes....what ever you people said!

OfflineTraveller
enthusiast
Re: world overpopulation [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #719474 - 07/03/02 03:34 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I say fuck finding a cure for AIDS and cancer... We need to just start letting people die.

great, so we'll let all the africans, chinese, indians and various other miserable poverty stricken people die, and maybe once they're all or mostly dead then we can go drill for oil in their countries too.

OfflineTraveller
enthusiast
    #719476 - 07/03/02 03:37 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

my bro was just saying before something about the amount of grain or whatever that can be grown in the area used for cattle farming, and how if all humans on earth were vegetarian there'd be enough room for many billions more of us. interesting, but not going to happen soon i guess.

OfflineTraveller
enthusiast
Re: world overpopulation [Re: Traveller]
    #719562 - 07/03/02 05:16 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

ok i should read threads before posting.

one more thing i read in the paper a couple of days ago was saying that X number of species go extinct EVERY HOUR.

I live in Tokyo, last friday i came back from several months travel around thailand, cambodia, india and nepal, finished up on a nice island in south thailand. last night on my way to a friend's party i passed a drink vending machine (one of many thousands in this city, it's not unusual to see 10 in a row selling basically the same drinks. each one uses the equivalent of about 60% of an average household's electricity every day) making a horrible loud winding kind of noise. freaked me out, suddenly i looked up and around and realised that i was completely surrounded by machines, concrete and metal, up above me was a train going past, lights everywhere, not a single plant or animal in sight, just lots and lots of humans, even the ground here is completely covered in tar sealing.

i prefer the beach.

oh yeah if you want to see some of the problems caused by overpopulation you should go to india. it might not be overpopulated where you are, but in the places where it is things are pretty fucking grim.

OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
Loc: Electric Neverending
Re: world overpopulation [Re: Traveller]
    #732778 - 07/09/02 01:33 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

dalorean.....I won't even begin to try to write all the things I was thinking while reading your posts....you have some strange morals / ethical beliefs (not to mention ignorance / arrogance!)....I think it is strange to see you on the shroomery message board, I'd think that most people here would have evaluated morals etc. a lot more, you still go on about 'good' and 'bad' and 'important' etc as if they are set in stone. (Hey at least you admitted you were biting off more than you could chew, or whatever) Maybe you need to see the bigger picture, you gotta realise that catering to the needs of every human being is not the way to save the world. I think that the world IS overpopulated although I really have no opinions either way on this as I do accept EVERYTHING as natural, even humanity and its byproducts, but as others have said if we keep going at the rate we are going now, we will be fucked within a couple of centuries.
And what are you saying about forests being 90% unlogged? This sounds awfully high to me, although I do not have a more reliable figure to replace it with but I do know that here in NZ native forests are getting very thinned there are only a few pockets of decent native bush remaining, as for the rest of the land it is covered in PINE trees which they forgot to tell the people that after three generations of pine the soil is totally fucked, and will not support native growth again for MANY years.
Another thing, you always go on about 'tree huggers' well fuck, this is not the be all and end all of environmentalism. I think environmentalism is great they are the only ones who take in the bigger picture and focus on long-term survival of not only humans but of everything else too. Just cause your poor old dad lost his job at the wood mill doesn't mean you have to get all bitter about it, that is just fuckin stupid, you need to realise that your pop is just another person and we can't save everyone, that is what we've been doing and thats why we are destroying the earth. So if I think this should I kill myself? It is a pretty good idea, but if I was going to do that for population reduction reasons, I would be sure to take down plenty of people with me, get some AK 47's maybe build some bombs and whatnot, which I can't really be fucked doing, since I don't believe that its my right to harm / kill anyone.
But anyway congradulations on your controversial post, I just hope that you actually think about what these other people have to say and also I think you should stop yourself sometimes and just check to make sure you're not just spurtin bullshit you've read in propoganda pamphlets from the mill workers union or your dads drunken anti-greenie friends. Haha.

Offlinefrancisco
Richman Sporeman
Loc: USA
    #751207 - 07/16/02 02:29 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Please,the universe is expanding to accomadate us.

--------------------
Well...Maybe just a little.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds