Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

Dunking bulk cased projects.
    #7127527 - 07/04/07 07:06 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Ok i am totally confused and never really dunked bulk cased projects before and have been searching but cant find a definitive answer.My question is lets say you have a 6 quart tub that is cased and is after the first flush and you want to rehydrate it for it's next flush.The recommended way is to put it in the sink fill it up with water and allow water to gentle run along the sides for a few hours with weights on it holding the substrate down(rr's method of dunking).My question is with the weights that are holding down the sub isn't this damaging primordia that is going to lead to the 2nd and 3rd flush????seems like the weight from it would smash the primordia so the mycelium has to recreate it and lead to a poor Pinset/delayed fruits any help would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------
"Anything i say is fictional"
  what you should look for in manure

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinej_db69
Forever learning shaman
 User Gallery

Re: Dunking bulk cased projects. [Re: xaxphaanes]
    #7127648 - 07/04/07 09:00 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

usually a casing layer will help with cushioning and a wide, flat weight will help distribute the weight better. This never seems to harm the substrate much, and about the easiest way.

--------------------
One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the dark conscious.
--Jung

OfflinePrimate
former addict
 User Gallery

Re: Dunking bulk cased projects. [Re: j_db69]
    #7127758 - 07/04/07 10:05 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

here's the best way i have found to weight down large bulk subs in tubs:

Go get a piece of thick wood cut to dimensions just big enough to fit inside yer tub.  Wrap it in a trash bag.  but it on top of your sub.  Add whatever weight you can find on top of the wood.  let water run gently in the tub for 6 or so hours.  Works great. :thumbup:

the weight wont hurt primordia.  but sometimes if you try to weight the sub down with non attached weights the pressure from the sub wanting to float will tear up your sub.

-Prim

--------------------
"Power to the peaceful"

-Micheal Franti and Spearhead

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: Dunking bulk cased projects. [Re: Primate]
    #7127864 - 07/04/07 10:48 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Ive always just used a weight plate,never really noticed any problems from it

InvisibleTrippinTeddy
Lost Voyager
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Returning Video Tapes
Re: Dunking bulk cased projects. [Re: Blutjager]
    #7128526 - 07/04/07 03:04 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Whats the reason for leaving the water running???

I've never left the water running on mine, just let it soak for about 4 hours then drain...

I don't understand why you would leave the water running?

--------------------
ToiletDuk said:
For the record, I would show you my butthole but you would fall down and worship it as a God and you would give up everything to roam the land converting the heathens by fire and sword. Millions would die. No, no the cost is too great. I cannot.

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: Dunking bulk cased projects. [Re: TrippinTeddy]
    #7128814 - 07/04/07 04:22 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

to remove spores from the sub and to remove bacteria build up.

--------------------

InvisibleTrippinTeddy
Lost Voyager
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Returning Video Tapes
    #7128824 - 07/04/07 04:25 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Got ya. Hmm... well, I 've never had problems in the past not doing it. I guess it won't hurt for me to try it out next go round. I just hate leaving my water running for so long.

Usually I let it soak and every hour I go and turn the facet on for like 5 minutes then turn it off and repeat till the soak is done.

--------------------
ToiletDuk said:
For the record, I would show you my butthole but you would fall down and worship it as a God and you would give up everything to roam the land converting the heathens by fire and sword. Millions would die. No, no the cost is too great. I cannot.

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: Dunking bulk cased projects. [Re: TrippinTeddy]
    #7128890 - 07/04/07 04:51 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

yea that should be fine i am dunking a 6 quart tub right now and a heavy plate with 3 quart jars filled with water is barely keeping it submerged lol.thanks for the replies guys.

--------------------

InvisibleRasHelio1
Stranger
 User Gallery

#7128949 - 07/04/07 05:07 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Mr. Ras  does it this way quite often : When the casing has shrunk away from the sides of the tub , the garbage bag used as an lining is pulled down away and off from the sides.Next without removing the casing from the tub , clean water is poured into the bottom of the tub.Next while wearing clean gloves the casing is held down on both ends with the finger tips until the entire casing is submerged and absorbing the water for just a couple minutes.The casing is allowed to float for some amount of minutes and the process of holding the casing down is repeated once or twice more, allowed to float again.Sometimes the water is drained out of the 1 inch diameter air hole in the side end, sometimes the water is just left  within through the next flush with casing still floating throughout the flush then drained after the new water has become discolored with the brown pee pee.Depends on how lazy the day is whether the water is drained or not and how old the casing is.When the casing is old it's usually allowed to float and not drained.This process has always worked great except for when the liner is completely removed the bottom fruits in astronomical proportions yielding slimey soaking wet mushrooms.Removing the liner entirely is highly unrecommended.Now on to my question so I can rack up points.I'm coming back out of the fruiting closet to get on this points bandwagon deal.:rasta:

OfflineGreyGoose
Stranger
Male
Loc: SE Tenn.
Re: Dunking bulk cased projects. [Re: RasHelio1]
    #8366239 - 05/05/08 09:37 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

i dont think my landlord would like me leaving the water run for 6 hours, lol. i was wondering how to dunk bulk also thats what tek im going for next.

Invisibleshroober
Myco Junkie

Re: Dunking bulk cased projects. [Re: GreyGoose]
    #8366356 - 05/05/08 10:09 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

not to be a enviro-hippy, but running drinking water for 6 hours is pretty damn wasteful, i don't dunk my trays because i make sure to keep them properly hydrated with high humidity and frequent misting throughout the fruiting cycle, but if you need to rehydrate i don't see why you can't just dunk the tray for an hour or two, no need for running water, but again, i dont use this method so what do i know

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation