Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinedalorean
Loc: AZ
world overpopulation
    #711117 - 06/29/02 12:54 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

i hope there is noone here who thinks we're overpopulating the world..................

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: world overpopulation [Re: dalorean]
    #711139 - 06/29/02 01:07 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Haha, I hope that you made that statement in order to provoke a bunch of respsonses from people who DO think we are overpopulating the world...

Because we ARE! I read a very good article about the state of the world's population in E (Environmental) Magazine once. I don't have it anymore so I can't quote from any of its alarming facts and findings, but it was definitely a scary thing to read.

Most people in the world continue breeding without paying any attention to the fact that we are vastly outgrowing our boundaries. And unfortunately it is a lot of stupid people who are breeding too. Although it was a drastic thing to do, I can't really blame the Chinese government for placing a restriction on how many children their people are allowed to have. It is definitely taking away their most BASIC human rights, but we really really need to start doing something about this problem.

I say fuck finding a cure for AIDS and cancer... We need to just start letting people die. Overpopulation is going to be the downfall of the earth. And then we will probably start moving into outerspace once we can no longer fit/survive here, and we will ruin outer space as well.

I plan to have no children of my own... I would like to adopt one day though.

Overpopulation makes me angry and sad just thinking about it.

--------------------
Namaste.

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: nowhere
    #711143 - 06/29/02 01:08 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

then how come people are starving?? how com america is afraid to let immigrants flood in,, their is a population issue.

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Re: world overpopulation [Re: nugsarenice]
    #711144 - 06/29/02 01:09 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

we only let 70,000 people immigrate each year.

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #711149 - 06/29/02 01:14 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Isn't something like 2/3rds of the worlds population starving?

--------------------

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Re: world overpopulation [Re: Revelation]
    #711154 - 06/29/02 01:17 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I think is one million.

Offlinedalorean
    #711161 - 06/29/02 01:21 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

the world is NOT overpopulating! major cities are overpopulating. look at africa. australia. just south of my town is EMPTY land. peolple just need to move elswhere. you say you read in an environmental magazine that we are overpopulating ouselves, well that explains it. environmentalists are for the animals, and stress that us people are the virus. true, but we are the priority. example, if it was up to a starving human and the last brownbear on earth to live, let the bear DIE!!!! i know this has nothing to do w/ overpopulation, but still, we have plenty of room to live in this vast earth. people just have to LOOK!!!!!

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
    #711163 - 06/29/02 01:22 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

their may be room to live, but not eat!

Offlinedalorean
    #711166 - 06/29/02 01:24 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

then we should eat the worthless people who are taking up space, like the ENVIRONMENTALISTS!!!! or them damn spics who migrate from mexico to sell their damn coke! but i doubt they taste good.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

#711168 - 06/29/02 01:28 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Starvation... Now that is a problem that could be fixed, if only we cared enough. America (and many other developed countries) is a nation of meat-eaters. We cut down countless trees to make more and more room to house and grow food for our cattle and other livestock. If we used all the land that we use to grow food for our cows to grow grains and other things like that to feed humans instead, the problem of starvation would be practically non-existant. But, alas, most Americans just MUST have their meat and cannot live without it. It's a sad thing really b/c the people who can't live without their meat are also dying because of the heart disease and cancer that it brings them.

I don't really have a problem with this though, for at least it is helping to decrease the world's population. And it is the greedy ones who can't go without meat who are killing themselves.

But anyway... I will stop ranting about my eating beliefs... If you're interested though, you should read Diet For A New America by John Robbins. Very very good, eye-opening book. Gives lots of good, scientific facts and findings about some of the things I have mentioned.

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

#711184 - 06/29/02 01:38 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I really don't even want to respond to someone who made such an asenine and racist comment as:

then we should eat the worthless people who are taking up space, like the ENVIRONMENTALISTS!!!! or them damn spics who migrate from mexico to sell their damn coke! but i doubt they taste good.

But here goes....

You say there are a lot of spaces that are not overpopulated, and we should just move into them? Well, we are doing that. It's called urban sprawl. The major cities are becoming too crowded and more and more people are having to move into more rural areas.

And you see nothing wrong with this?? Soon there will be no untamed wilderness left. No forests, no wetlands, no prairies or jungles. Everything will become one massive expanse of concrete. The air will become too polluted to breathe, the water too polluted to drink. The human race will die a long, lonely death; for most other animal species will probably die off long before us.

Have you never delighted at the sound of birds in the morning? Have you never taken a walk through the woods and felt refreshed and cleansed? Have you never gone fishing in a sparkling stream? Imagine a world in which none of these things existed. Just a writhing mass of humans, struggling to survive in the wasteland they have created.

I just can't believe a human in this day an age could actually have an attitude such as yours. It saddens me deeply

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#711262 - 06/29/02 02:33 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Starvation is the reason why the world is overpopulated. There is not enough of it!
I know it sounds bad, but its true. Trees in a forest will only grow as dense as the available sunlight permits. Humans have devised ingenious ways of efficiantly channelling energy in order to sustain more life. This is analogous to setting up mirrors all around the forest to increase the amount of light that the trees have which will, in turn, increase the population. The only problem is that the dirt does not have enough nutrients to sustain such an imbalanced ecosystem...

--------------------
:egyptian:

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
Re: world overpopulation [Re: Catalysis]
    #711278 - 06/29/02 02:46 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

As politically incorrect as it is...you are correct. Increasing food production to feed an increased population results in yet another increase in population. This is the way of the earth, but we feel that humans are somehow exempt from this...it's a law that we feel we are somehow outside of. But we are not. And this is what we will learn.

--------------------

Offlinedalorean
    #711325 - 06/29/02 03:12 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

only certain countries are resulting in starvation. but most are not. mcdonalds corperations throw away lbs and lbs of edible food a day just cuz us picky americans don't like onions on our cheeseburgers. some countries value every drop of water available, while others take for granted the gallons and gallons of water wasted in a long, relaxing shower. we just need to learn how to balance this all out. same for overpopulation. stop expanding overgrown cities and start new civilizations elsewhere. as for forests to "preserve" and shit like that i aint getting into cuz i cant stand environmentalists. and i do apologize for my comments, just showing level intensity of my opinoin. forgive me please.

Offlinedalorean
    #711350 - 06/29/02 03:28 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

besides. like any of us alive are going to witness this world overpopulate. why worry? and for them starving countries, you can blame their government, not the "lack of land" to grow. not to mention a good 90% of overall world forest are not even logged. theres more than enough to go around in this world. the key is balance. we over stress one area and leave others untouched.

Offlinehongomon
old hand
Loc: comin' at ya
    #711351 - 06/29/02 03:28 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I don't understand the dislike a lot of people have towards environmentalism. I suppose it must, as these things usually do, come back to a few isolated incidents of extremism. Envrionmentalism is simply the efforts to "protect air, water, animals, plants, and other natural resources" (from my dictionary). It is ultimately in humankind's best interest to protect its environment. Even if you think every non-human life-form is repulsive, you must understand that in the interest of self-preservation--your own survival--those life-forms need to be kept around, in a functioning ecology.

If you don't want to entertain possibilities of ecological disaster, I don't blame you--it's depressing. But hell, don't rip on environmentalism.

Oh, and nugs, I think one BILLION is more like it. 1.2 billion people are literally starving to death.

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #711358 - 06/29/02 03:31 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

If it wasn't for "environmentalists" or better put, people who care about the environment, this world would be much more polluted in my opinion. ie no laws against pollution and no awareness of the problems.

Offlinedalorean
Re: world overpopulation [Re: hongomon]
    #711370 - 06/29/02 03:35 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

you're right. environmentalism does have its benefits. but they stress it too far. masses of people lose jobs over them. again i stress the balance theory. nothing wrong w/ environmentalists so long they stop bending the boundaries and pushing every effort to save "endangered" animals. environmentalists are EXTREME to the point. they use every legal loop hole to get their way, no matter what the damage is that they do. they want forests to be untouched. cause of this forest rangers can't thin out forests and clean forest floors to prevent fires that otherwise burn out of control because they want forests to be left alone. resulting in NO forests due to emense amounts of flammable material left in the forest(speaking out of wildfire in AZ) the prob w/ them is they went so overboard w/ their bs they are reversing thier efforts. practically.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

#711385 - 06/29/02 03:40 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

as for forests to "preserve" and shit like that i aint getting into cuz i cant stand environmentalists.

You can't stand environmentalists? First off, claiming that you hate an entire group of people is quite a drastic and ignorant thing to say. Many environmentalists are the most caring, loving people you could ever meet. How can you hate a person like that?
And secondly, it sounds to me like you are not going to get into the issue of these forests we need to "preserve" because you have no basis whatsoever to make an argument for yourself besides your prejudiced beliefs. The forests were here long before us, and once the Native Americans lived in harmony with and respected the land. Forests are amazingly intricate ecosystems of life, from their towering trees to the tiny fungi that grow on fallen logs and perpetuate the cycle of life and death. If you ever spend time in a forest, you will see how everything is connected and everything works together in harmony like the most intricate spider web you will ever see.
The forests also give us the air we breathe, and over 50% of our medecines. And you think there is no need to "preserve" them? We have no right to destroy these forests, nor any other wild places. We do not need to destroy them to survive; we can live quite well in harmony with them.

The human race needs to stop being a virus and spreading its deadly infection of concrete and cars, pollutants and poisons.

If we don't preserve the forests and other wild places, we will not be able to live any longer, much less have a reason to live. At least in my opinion.

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineShroomalicious
You may say I'ma dreamer...

Loc: The Shire
Re: world overpopulation [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #711398 - 06/29/02 03:48 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

The world is not over populated.

There is room for plenty more. And about starvation...people wouldn't be starving if we just learned to live within the cycle of the Earth. At one point there were so few humans that almost nothing we did could exhaust the Earth. This is not so anymore and we are exhausting the Earth.

Like I said there is not enough food to go around because people are not in harmony with the Earth. An easy answer is to readjust your diet to have more grain and less meat...there are many other, slightly more complex answers.

As always, this is just my opinion.

--------------------
Shroomalicious - :smile: I love you and in doing so I love myself, because we ARE all one :smile: - "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth leaves the whole world blind and toothless". - Mahatma Ghandi

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder