Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineobstacle__1
Stranger
First post... pinning casing
    #7099443 - 06/27/07 03:51 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Okay, first of all, I'd like to thank you guys for all your help. I've been reading up for a while. I grew a few years ago with a homestead kit with crappy results, now I'm doing my own casings on poo/straw cased with verm/coir (60/40).

My grow most closely resembles the bulk neglect poo grow, basically very few adjustments or concern for the growing environment. Everything has been fine, until this point. And, even at this point, it may just be my impatience. I have 3 small loaf sized trays pinning, one with more pins than the other two, but virtually hundreds of tiny knots and small primordia on the casings.

Anyways, my concern is for the initial pins. They're growing very slowly after a little over two days. The biggest being maybe a half inch, if that! So far, I've been fanning twice a day after removing the plastic, then placing the poked plastic loosely back on. I decided today that I may need to fan a couple more times a day, as we have no a/c and very little air circulation in this place, especially since these are placed in a closet. I've been throwing an ice pack in the 18 gallon rubbermaid to induce fruiting. and keep pins going.

My question is..... how do I get these pins to grow faster? Would the plastic at all "stunt" the growth of the pins by laying lightly on the casing? I really can't think of a way to change that without inviting contams. If you have suggestions, let me know. Is more fanning sufficient? Also, from what I've read, I should not mist these since they have knots and pins on them. Is this correct? Or could that be the problem?

Sorry for this being kinda long. I hope someone takes time to read it. Again, thanks for the help so far.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: First post... pinning casing [Re: obstacle__1]
    #7099458 - 06/27/07 03:56 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Take the plastic off since that will create stale air which contams thrive in.so once you take that off up your fanning to 5+ times a day and make sure that you have 100% humidity.after all that you should see better results.

--------------------
"Anything i say is fictional"
  what you should look for in manure

Offlineobstacle__1
Stranger
Re: First post... pinning casing [Re: xaxphaanes]
    #7099475 - 06/27/07 04:00 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I've thought of that, I'm just afraid that any dust or such in the closet may make its way into the casings if I do that. I have thought about maybe removing the plastic on the casings and just placing plastic over the rubbermaid container. I keep the lid off at all times, I forgot to mention that. There are no holes in the rubber maid, except for the fact that I keep the lid off. It's more convenient for me to leave the lid off because the rubbermaid is not clear.

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

#7099551 - 06/27/07 04:18 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Naw dust is fine i even had some cat hair fall into one of my cased subs and since i have alot of fae it didnt do anything.you can leave any type of lid on the rubbermaid just make sure to up your fae and make sure humidity is 100%.with the fae up high you wont have to worry about contams.and also with upping the fae it increases evaporation from the casing layer which is a major pinning trigger.

--------------------

Offlineobstacle__1
Stranger
Re: First post... pinning casing [Re: xaxphaanes]
    #7099606 - 06/27/07 04:34 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Right on.. thanks! Look out for pictures if this thing goes well, otherwise, I will probably hide out in shame. I guess I just assume I'm doing something right with all of these pins and knots.

OfflineCaptainLinger
A Fungus Amongus

#7101706 - 06/28/07 12:35 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, my cat is fucking obnoxious about scenting my tubs :smile:

FAE is your best bet against contaminants. Many of my casings have sat through absolutely huge green mold spore explosions. So long as the myc is healthy and thriving (which it will need the air to do) you'll be fine.

Offlineobstacle__1
Stranger
Re: First post... pinning casing [Re: CaptainLinger]
    #7109530 - 06/29/07 11:47 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

can I mist since one of the casings is looking dry?

OfflineCaptainLinger
A Fungus Amongus

#7109837 - 06/30/07 12:47 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I would advise it...

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: First post... pinning casing [Re: CaptainLinger]
    #7109972 - 06/30/07 01:31 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

yes you can butttttttt do indirect misting i.e spray in the air above the cased sub and let it gently land on the sub do not and i repeat do not mist it directly you will get alot of aborts but indirect is good and excellent at getting good pinsets.

--------------------

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #7110090 - 06/30/07 02:30 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Only if you want to grow mushrooms. :wink:

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First post... pinning casing [Re: dog]
    #7110590 - 06/30/07 09:42 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

dog said:
Quote:

Only if you want to grow mushrooms. :wink:

LOL good one! How ya doin bro haven't seen ya in awhile?

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds