Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Boundaries - Drawing Arbitrary Lines Around Groups
    #711050 - 06/29/02 12:06 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

From TrOmAn: so lets just lay down, like the rest of the sheep and not fight, and watch our people being slaughtererd by the thousands on CNN

Now I don't want to get into the moral issue of war here, nor to debate his point in it's entirety. I want to focus on just one part - "our people".

Who are "our people"?

Most of the time I am satirical here and have frequently been asked my spiritual views. Well here is a tiny glimpse and is of utmost importance to me.

Lets look at how we draw imaginary lines around groups that are constanly changing. For the purpose of this mental experiment we will take a random grouping of Americans. First we shall separate them into black & white. (What about Asians and Mexicans and AmerIndians? Sorry. Only two groups. Choose a side.)

The Whites might grumble about welfare and crime while looking down on the other group. While the Blacks might grumble about judicial, educational and career bias. With a little provocation the two groups could easily be manouvered into fighting.

We could repeat this by segregating the groups into Male & Female and repeat.

We could repeat this by segregating the groups into Gay & Straight and repeat.

We could repeat this by segregating the groups into Young & Old and repeat.

We could repeat this by segregating the groups into Christians and non-Christians. The Christians would be ready to take on the Muslims. But then we could separate the Christians into Protestants and Catholics and another battle could ensue. Then we can further divide into Baptists and Lutherans and so on until there was only one person in each group.

On the shroomery we divide ourselves on the basis of belief and also by which generation that you belong to. One division that is of most importance to "us"; drug prohibitionists and drug proponents.

To me, growing spiritually means to continually question where and why you draw these imaginary boundaries; and to keep expanding them to include more of mankind, more of other species, and more of creation.

WE will truly be a "Human Race" when we can draw a circle around all 6 billion of US.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: nowhere
Re: Boundaries - Drawing Arbitrary Lines Around Groups [Re: Swami]
    #711100 - 06/29/02 12:42 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I don't know about you,, but I'm already seperated into a seperate group just at the shroomery,, I am member of TGS

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #711156 - 06/29/02 01:18 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Swami- I know sometimes I am "mean" to you, but I really mean no offense at all. I am just sticking up for things that I believe in that may be wrong or may be right.

I just wanted to say, I really really like your belief here:

To me, growing spiritually means to continually question where and why you draw these imaginary boundaries; and to keep expanding them to include more of mankind, more of other species, and more of creation.

It reminds me of the song "Imagine" in a way...

Only when we open our eyes enough to see no difference between black and white, young and old, gay and straight, etc., etc., will we finally see that we are all just humans. If that ever happens, it would be the greatest spiritual movement of all. Unfortunately, I think that our animal instincts of having groups and territories and such will prevent this from happening; at least for the time being. But I do believe we are evolving morally as well as physically, so perhaps it will be possible some day.

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Offlinedumlovesyou
retired shroomer
 User Gallery

Loc: One dimension
    #711172 - 06/29/02 01:29 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Good point. I think you must think farther...THINK yourself an alien..... think yourself the universe!!!

--------------------
I see trees of green, psylocibe mushrooms too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself what a wonderful world

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #711222 - 06/29/02 02:04 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Good post, I totally agree. Who really creates the lines though? Certainly not the majority. I think the lines are created by a few individuals....perhaps it's because they believe that there are more people like "them"...when in fact we are all individuals. And yet we are all the same..there is no inbetween..no "other than me"..

Perhaps the most obvious lines are the ones which seperate what we call countries. Are these lines worth going to war over? They exist only in our imagination...it's such a false concept.

I just had an idea...instead of going to war on a regular basis, how about we all migrate to the borders of our countries, not to fight, but specifiacally to make friends.. we should all go and hug our neighbours instead of killing them. yes! Isn't this the only way to really move forward?

It's amazing how willing people are to make friends, if only given the choice to do so. We've all been to concerts, and been amazed at the sense of "oneness"...the same people that wouldn't look at you in the street, but feel united over a common interest. Isn't our most common interest our humanity? What limits are there for a world without walls? What potential is there for a people without enemies?

Okay so im getting carried away...but it just shows how far we have to go...

--------------------

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: Boundaries - Drawing Arbitrary Lines Around Groups [Re: Revelation]
    #711234 - 06/29/02 02:11 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Revelation- What a GREAT idea!!!! If only our world leaders were as smart as you!

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Re: Boundaries - Drawing Arbitrary Lines Around Groups [Re: nugsarenice]
    #711490 - 06/29/02 04:27 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Ok, I give up.
What is TGS?

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#711719 - 06/29/02 05:58 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I think that people feel more comfortable associating with others who are like them. Its only natural. If anyone here enjoys associating with people who are unlike them more than those who are similar, please speak up because i would like to hear your opinion. I mean, most of us cannot even have a conversation with anyone who does not speak english. Unfortunately, arbitrary boundaries are simply the logical result.

--------------------
:egyptian:

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Re: Boundaries - Drawing Arbitrary Lines Around Groups [Re: Jellric]
    #711742 - 06/29/02 06:09 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Something kind of odd just happened to me. It's probably nothing, but it has me wondering.
I have been reading 'The Mothman Prophecies" by John A. Keel. I *just* put it down after sadly coming to the end of the book. Then I pop on here and look for recent posts throughout the Shroomery. I looked here and was reminded I had posted asking nugsarenice what TGS is. No reply yet. I then go to altavista, and do a search for "John A. Keel". I enjoyed the book greatly and *hate* to read the last of an author I enjoy. My search pulled up one other book by the author, "Our Haunted Planet". Evidently the book is published by a small publisher. The address listed began: Hidden Mysteries- TGS. No other info.

Three little letters. Coincidence sure. But now I am dying to know- what is TGS???!!
I do love a mystery.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Anonymous

#711890 - 06/29/02 07:00 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I think we create the lines as part of our desire for affliliation/association. It's part of the social nature of man. As we develop as humans we learn by noticing differences and similiarities that Aristotle was so good at pointing out. Many things have differences and similiarities. What you focus on makes the difference. Some people point out the undesireable aspect of stereo-typical thinking. They ignore the fact that groups have attributes just as much as individuals in the groups have attributes. Think of how difficult it would be to identify mushrooms if they didn't have similiarities and differences. When a group of people wish death upon another group of people it is a reality of their being. It shouldn't be ignored, but explored. And then dealt with accordingly.

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Re: Boundaries - Drawing Arbitrary Lines Around Groups [Re: Jellric]
    #712355 - 06/29/02 11:01 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

you should really ask sweetmaryjane, she runs tgs,, I am just a member.

OfflineLOBO
Vagabond

Loc: NY
    #712453 - 06/30/02 01:39 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Senior Swami, I am with you on this one.
I to see the same thing, the problem is that most people can not brake away from conditioning, for example I my self was raced in a country that had very poor views on homosexuals, when I came back to America every time I meet some one gay, I will clinch and despise that person (my conditioning) but with no basis just because he was gay.
In fact many gay people keep appearing in my life, bosses, neighbors etc.
I thought perhaps life was trying to teach me a lesson, I open up to the idea that they are as human as I am and I made an effort to know the better and today I have several gay friends and I accept them but it took a considerable effort from my part to brake a way from my previous conditioning.
I am an avid gardener, and I learned one thing that could be applied to humans to: If you plant just one crop (monoculture) you crop will be susceptible to disease, but if instead you interplant and have a good bio diversity, every thing will be healthy because even weeds have there place in nature.
With humans is the same way. But some humans just want to insist in having a boring and sick monoculture.

--------------------

Anonymous

#713635 - 06/30/02 04:34 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

So basically... you are saying that we are all one and any seperation or boundary that exists between us is merely an illusionary state. I highly agree.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: Boundaries - Drawing Arbitrary Lines Around Groups [Re: ]
    #713648 - 06/30/02 04:40 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

"There's only just a fine line... Between alone and all one"

literally.

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineChubbSubb
Zen Lunatic

Loc: Here.
    #715323 - 07/01/02 08:49 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Great post Swami!......very well put, i agree 100%
Peace, one love, Trev

--------------------
Those who know do not speak.
Those who speak do not know.

Anonymous

#719356 - 07/02/02 11:45 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #719702 - 07/03/02 07:04 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Swami-
You know next week they'll forget all about this... and they'll brand you an asshole again. hehehe

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: Boundaries - Drawing Arbitrary Lines Around Groups [Re: Sclorch]
    #719768 - 07/03/02 07:50 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hahahahaha... But he is an asshole, and a self-proclaimed one at that!

He's just an asshole who has good posts sometimes

RS

--------------------
Namaste.

Edited by RebelSteve33 (07/03/02 09:02 AM)

InvisibleGRTUD
INFP
Male

Loc: United States
Re: Boundaries - Drawing Arbitrary Lines Around Gr [Re: Swami]
    #721026 - 07/03/02 06:12 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

"I once dabbled in passificism. Not in Nam, of course."
- Walter

--------------------
"New shit has come to light..."

Offlinehongomon
old hand
Loc: comin' at ya
Re: Boundaries - Drawing Arbitrary Lines Around Groups [Re: Revelation]
    #721429 - 07/03/02 08:56 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Swami, here is another of your enemies chiming in to say amen. Actually it's been a while since that time I picked a fight with you (in my first month at the Shroomery--how very kosher).

Revelation, I heard an idea similar to this:

"I just had an idea...instead of going to war on a regular basis, how about we all
migrate to the borders of our countries, not to fight, but specifiacally to make
friends.. we should all go and hug our neighbours instead of killing them. yes! Isn't
this the only way to really move forward?"

You know how some countries have conscription, where every male must put a length of time into the military? What if we required every 19 or 20-year-old to leave the country for a year or two? It would make a lot of them think hard about the very idea Swami is bringing up.

Nugs, what on god's green earth is TGS??

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Re: Boundaries - Drawing Arbitrary Lines Around Groups [Re: hongomon]
    #721432 - 07/03/02 08:57 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

just some group I bake cookies for.

Offlinehongomon
old hand
Re: Boundaries - Drawing Arbitrary Lines Around Groups [Re: nugsarenice]
    #721447 - 07/03/02 09:03 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Got it. If you're a predator I'm gonna kick your ass.

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
    #721451 - 07/03/02 09:04 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

nah,, no predating here.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #721596 - 07/03/02 10:11 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

What if we required every 19 or 20-year-old to leave the country for a year or two?

Holy shit!! I love it. I'd pay 1% extra income tax to have that. I think we should give kids another option though: leave for a year... if you don't, every weekend that you are here, you must take 3 grams of dried psilocybe cubensis mushrooms. Yeah, mix up the drugs with life abroad and what we get is an open-minded mother fucker. Let's do it.

It definitely did wonders for me, I left when I was 18-going-on-19 for 6 weeks and it reinforced all those acid trips.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#721625 - 07/03/02 10:25 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Swami, here is another of your enemies ...

Funny how I consider no one here to be my enemy, but so many of the self -proclaimed spiritual types carry this "us/them" mentality - very much like conventional religion. They like to feel self-righteous anger towards those with different beliefs.

If you agree with my post, then I am "cool", otherwise not. Where is your CENTER?

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #721646 - 07/03/02 10:37 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Oh Swami... they're just pissed because they renounced Christianity and they're starting to miss all those Pot Luck dinners . And now they actually have to try to substantiate their claim on spirituality since they also can't use the familiar "Spirituality? Hell, I get that every Sunday at CHOYCH! I pray to the LOWD and ask GAWD for forgiveness...."

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#721654 - 07/03/02 10:41 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Someone give me a "Hallelujah!".

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #721663 - 07/03/02 10:45 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat like the tears of one million terrified brothers and roared, "Hear me now, I have seen the light! They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul! Damn you! Let the rabbits wear glasses! Save our brothers!" Can I get an amen? Can I get a hallelujah? Thank you Jesus

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#721708 - 07/03/02 11:11 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat like the tears of one million terrified brothers ...

You still having that erotic dream about the 300 pound woman?

--------------------

Offlinehongomon
old hand
    #722188 - 07/04/02 08:16 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Heh, Sclorch just last night I went to a potluck dinner with my family and my former congregation. Since I don't eat meat or poultry anymore, I ended up eating rice and potato salad.

No, I don't miss those.

That idea of yours would create some good jobs. Wanted: experienced gurus to help American youth open their minds.

Offlinehongomon
old hand
    #722195 - 07/04/02 08:22 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Nonsense. I didn't say you were "cool" or otherwise. I said amen to your post.

I thought about putting "enemy" in quotes, because I knew it was a stretcher.

"...so many of the self -proclaimed spiritual types carry this "us/them" mentality - very much like conventional religion. They like to feel self-righteous anger towards those with different beliefs."

Yeah, I know how you feel about "them".

As for my center...will you settle for my middle finger?

Edited by hongomon (07/04/02 08:26 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order