Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineundergrounder
fluffy bunny
 User Gallery

Loc: Sydney Flag
ID Help! <-- Confused
    #7106407 - 06/29/07 07:18 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Habitat: Woodchips in Sydney, NSW. I figure this to be a prime spot so i return every few weeks without luck. This time there were tonnes of Galerinas/brown printing unknowns and this lone fellow. His stem was all wrong for a Sub but i took him home to print anyway.

Stem: Thin, long 6cm x 0.3cm, brown, not hollow (although too thin to really tell) Very slightly bulbous at the base (0.6cm)

Cap: As seen in pic

Gills: Very slightly attached, grey/beige (not as 'purple' as the flash from the camera shows)

Spore print: As seen in pic, grey/purple, certainly not brown and similar in colour to other subs and Strophs i've found. Im leaving it now to get a deeper print.

Bruising: No blueing... i scraped down the side of the stem and abused the hell out of it, no real bruising at all.

------

Any ideas?

--------------------
:igor: RIP :igor:

Bigger and bolder and rougher and tougher in other words sucka there is no other...
:pinkshroom: :supershroom: :mushroom2: :shroomer: :mushroom2: :supershroom: :pinkshroom:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jaw-juh
Re: ID Help! <-- Confused [Re: undergrounder]
    #7106424 - 06/29/07 07:41 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Stropharia, inactive. I've read other Aussies say that it's a good sign that Ps. sub. might grow in the area.

Offlineundergrounder
fluffy bunny
 User Gallery

Re: ID Help! <-- Confused [Re: xmush]
    #7106435 - 06/29/07 07:52 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks xmush, I personally doubt Stroph because of the caramel colour (not reddish), thin stem (not thick) and strophs are usually whitish stemmed with red streaks. Strophs in the area also usually have mottled orange/red marks on their gills.

--------------------

Bigger and bolder and rougher and tougher in other words sucka there is no other...
:pinkshroom: :supershroom: :mushroom2: :shroomer: :mushroom2: :supershroom: :pinkshroom:

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #7106496 - 06/29/07 08:39 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Stopharia is a genus with many species; some of them are brown. Hypholoma is another possibility.

Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jaw-juh
    #7106512 - 06/29/07 08:53 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Lots of strophs do have whitish stems. But several have stems that are brown or reddish. Of course, I'm not familiar with Australian mushrooms, so your experience here is importat! As shroomydan said, Hypholoma is another good possibility and I've seen several that have very similar colored gills to yours. I'd put money on one of those two genera. And regardless, a cool find and nice pics.

OfflineRats_are_Dancin
Odd Child
Male User Gallery

Loc: Melbourne. Victoria
Re: ID Help! <-- Confused [Re: xmush]
    #7106604 - 06/29/07 09:41 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I would say some sort of Hypholoma but I cant be sure on that one, I have found these aswell in my hunts so I would be interested in finding out %100 what they are.

--------------------
With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know

Offlineundergrounder
fluffy bunny
 User Gallery

Re: ID Help! <-- Confused [Re: Rats_are_Dancin]
    #7106763 - 06/29/07 10:39 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks guys, i forget that just because my book doesn't have a mushroom doesn't mean that it doesn't exist...

Just for a moment, you'd cleared everything up fine. In fact, i thought that you had killed two birds with one stone, IDing this tall loner and at the same time finding out what all the other ones in the area were that i hadn't been able to identify. While i think you're no doubt right about it being a Stropharia/Hypholoma, I've made things more complicated for myself... let me explain:

1. Its pretty clear now that its a Stropharia/Hypholoma.

2. So I looked up Hypholoma sublateritium on google and found this picture, which DOES look like ALLL of the other mushrooms growing from woodchips in the area. It would make total sense if they were the same mushroom. This is that picture:

3. I rejoiced thinking i'd nailed it, since this mushroom must just be a bigger, mature version of all the others i'd seen.

4. So I went and printed a cap of one of these other shrooms in the area that are everywhere in order to confirm that they were the same species. As you can see it looks just like the Hypholomas i found on the internet. That picture is here:

5. Now that print came up light brown, and even has tints of yellow in nautral light. Hypholoma sublateritium is meant to print 'purplish brown' It's certainly not the same as the definite purple/black of the first shroom, or any of the other spore prints ive seen described as 'purplish brown'.

6. So now i have a weird, mature, tall Hypholoma that prints purple.

7. And a million small, normal looking Hypholomas (by sight alone) that print brown.

So in summary while its still probably a Stropharia/Hypholoma, the mushroom isn't the same as the ones i see everywhere, and what's more the ones i see everywhere can't be Hypholomas because their spore prints come out light brown despite how similar they are to the pics and descriptions.

Just once i'd like a mushroom to drop the spores i was expecting :igor:

--------------------

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #7106803 - 06/29/07 10:50 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Variation in spore color is not all that uncommon. They might still be Hypholoma.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: ID Help! <-- Confused [Re: shroomydan]
    #7106889 - 06/29/07 11:21 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

The tall one is surely a Stropharia or Hypholoma.

As for the second, I haven't seen hypholomas with that shade brown spore print - Maybe it is a Pholiota.

Is it growing in dense clusters on wood?

Offlineundergrounder
fluffy bunny
 User Gallery

Re: ID Help! <-- Confused [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #7110236 - 06/30/07 05:54 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Growing in dense clusters but on woodchips. Ive since seen more of them in other places, their gills are yellowey

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order