Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado
Mushrooms from WBS?
    #7102662 - 06/28/07 09:30 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Ok, I have four 1/2 pint jars of fully colonized WBS. Too full, really, I made too much. But they colonized well.

I have:
Coco coir
Perlite
Peat moss

I could probably get coffee grounds, but vermiculite is surprisingly rare around here. Don't want to get poo for this round.

So, what's my best choice for getting mushrooms from my WBS? I've done some searching, read a lot, and there's so many choices, I'm a bit overwhelmed. Plus the vermiculite issue...

--------------------
Roger Rabbit said: Growing mushrooms is part art, and part science, but it's not magic.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGreen420Thang
FriendlyStranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: This Island Earth, Behind the ...
Re: Mushrooms from WBS? [Re: Dr_T]
    #7102682 - 06/28/07 09:36 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Spawn those badboys to coir. You can get the spent coffee grounds if you want, but you don't have to. Build yourself a nice monotub, do things right, and watch the mushies come  :cubie:  :cubie:  :cubie:  :cubie:  :cubie:  :cubie:

Edited by Green420Thang (06/28/07 09:37 AM)

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mushrooms from WBS? [Re: Green420Thang]
    #7102686 - 06/28/07 09:38 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I knew somebody could cut through to the meat of the issue.

Link me a link to the tek you recommend? And once I spawn to coir, what then? Case them, right? Preferably without verm.

--------------------
Roger Rabbit said: Growing mushrooms is part art, and part science, but it's not magic.

Invisiblew. murderface
7/7/07

Loc: mi
    #7102699 - 06/28/07 09:46 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

vermiculite is like 3.50 at the Wal-marts if u have one where ur at. my question is what do i do after the jars are ready and i cant find a tek thats broke down to terms i can follow can u help?

--------------------
Eat right stay fit DIE anyways.

InvisibleGreen420Thang
FriendlyStranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: This Island Earth, Behind the ...
    #7102703 - 06/28/07 09:48 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

If you want, you can case, you don't have to. No verm you say, try MGMC (miracle grow moisture control) for casing. I use it with good results, but I have never tried uncased or 50/50 so take my word for what its worth.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5909750/page/0/fpart/all/vc/1/nt/2
^^thats where I first learned about spawning to straight coir. Its so simple! All you do is hydrate the coir with hot water as the instructions indicate (in a pail, 30 min, 3-4 L water for standard sized brick). Make sure the water content is correct tho, i have failed before because my coir was too wet. Remember squeeze 2 drops max. I recommend letting it strain in a hung pillowcase over night

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mushrooms from WBS? [Re: w. murderface]
    #7102706 - 06/28/07 09:50 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Where in WalMart? Mine does not have verm in the garden section, I asked. And looked in case the people didn't know what they had. No luck, no verm.

There's probably verm somewhere around here, and of course I could mail order some- but part of the charm of mushroom cultivation is that it is cheap and easy with available materials... :laugh:

--------------------

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mushrooms from WBS? [Re: Green420Thang]
    #7102710 - 06/28/07 09:52 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Green420Thang said:
If you want, you can case, you don't have to. No verm you say, try MGMC (miracle grow moisture control) for casing. I use it with good results, but I have never tried uncased or 50/50 so take my word for what its worth.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5909750/page/0/fpart/all/vc/1/nt/2
^^thats where I first learned about spawning to straight coir. Its so simple! All you do is hydrate the coir with hot water as the instructions indicate (in a pail, 30 min, 3-4 L water for standard sized brick). Make sure the water content is correct tho, i have failed before because my coir was too wet. Remember squeeze 2 drops max. I recommend letting it strain in a hung pillowcase over night

I can do that! So, how much WBS to how much coir? 1:1 too much? I'm going to go soak some coir right now...

--------------------

InvisibleUnderNose
all out of bubble gum
 User Gallery

#7102730 - 06/28/07 10:01 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I have been using pasteurized coir with a bunch of goodies mixed in for a quick & easy fix a while.
Gets reasonable results.

I Use 1 part spawn 3 parts coir, colonization is fast.
You can put more or less spawn if you want, depending how much spawn you have & how fast you want it to colonize.
More spawn like 1:1 will be super fast but not much substrate to consume.
Less like 1:4 would be a little slower but lots of substrate to fruit off.

If you can get some used coffee grounds for nitrogen, chuck a cup or so in, don't be shy...
liquid seaweed extract for all kinds of goodies, mix it up as the instructions say for indoor plants, usually 1 1/2 caps full for 9litres of water.
And calcium carbonate or lime to adjust PH, chuck a bit of that in to.

They are not necessary but will make a difference.

You could case with pasteurized peat moss, a 1/2 or 1/4 inch layer, Don't know if the lack of verm in there will make heaps of difference.

--------------------
LAGM 2.022

:dna::dna:

Edited by UnderNose (06/28/07 10:07 AM)

Invisiblew. murderface
7/7/07

#7102737 - 06/28/07 10:04 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

in the store here it is right next to the perlite i only saw it once but i beleive it was with the fertilizers in the indoor section of gardening

--------------------

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mushrooms from WBS? [Re: UnderNose]
    #7102742 - 06/28/07 10:06 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Cool.

Quick question about lime- WM has 'pickling lime' in the canning section, near the 1/2 pint jars- is that the stuff I want?

--------------------

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7102761 - 06/28/07 10:10 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

w. murderface said:
in the store here it is right next to the perlite i only saw it once but i beleive it was with the fertilizers in the indoor section of gardening

Yeah, that's where I looked. Found the Perlite. Found a bunch of other stuff. No verm. :frown:

I think I'll head over to Home Depot today, see what they have.

--------------------

InvisibleUnderNose
all out of bubble gum
 User Gallery

#7102817 - 06/28/07 10:25 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

One of them should have it:thumbup:

'pickling lime'
that kind of lime is Calcium Hydroxide.
I think the Hydroxide it more potent, so you would need less.:shrug:

Others like Calcium Oxide also called Quicklime or unslaked Lime will burn you, and the mycelium severely.

I like the carbonate, it's the least harsh.
It all starts out as calcium carbonate anyway so a bag of that would be cheaper.
It should be in the same kind of shop you find health food & crap, it's used as a calcium supplement, better bones for people & pets.
Can also fix an upset stomach, because it neutralizes the acids in your guts, just like is does to the substrate:crazy2:

--------------------
LAGM 2.022

Edited by UnderNose (06/28/07 10:32 AM)

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7102841 - 06/28/07 10:30 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

UnderNose said:
One of them should have it:thumbup:

It all starts out as calcium carbonate so a bag of that would be cheaper. It should be in the same kind of shop you find health food & crap, it's used as a calcium supplement,
:crazy2:

Hmmm... wonder if Walgreen's pharmacy will have it in powdered form? I'm pretty sure I've seen tablets, but I'm too lazy to crush them.

Ok, thanks everybody- I'm going shopping!

--------------------

InvisibleUnderNose
all out of bubble gum
 User Gallery

#7102872 - 06/28/07 10:35 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

No worries dude, good luck with your mission.
Keep us updated with your progress, make a grow log.
:bye:

Edited by UnderNose (06/28/07 10:49 AM)

Offlineb0b
Stranger
    #7103811 - 06/28/07 02:59 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Lowes carries Verm right next to the Perlite.

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mushrooms from WBS? [Re: b0b]
    #7103903 - 06/28/07 03:28 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

b0b said:
Lowes carries Verm right next to the Perlite.

Well, I sure didn't find it at Home Depot- but I did find bone meal, and Miracle Gro Moisture Control, and Jiffy Mix, and some other interesting things.

And then Family Dollar had these Sterilite monotub units. Yay!

--------------------

OfflineJuggaloKilla
Stranger

#7103940 - 06/28/07 03:35 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

either tums or rolaids is calcium carbonate...one of the antacids

Offlinexhooliganx
Munky
Male User Gallery

Loc: reno, nevada
Re: Mushrooms from WBS? [Re: JuggaloKilla]
    #7104095 - 06/28/07 04:27 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

if you want verm go back to home depot tell them at the customer service to oder you a bag of vermiculie. they'll have it. the company that makes it is thermo rock. you'l get an 8 sq foot bag for 20 bucks. more verm than you'll know what to do with

--------------------

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7114450 - 07/01/07 09:19 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Here's how it looks now:

I guess those are pinheads- is it ready to fruit already?

--------------------

InvisibleUnderNose
all out of bubble gum
 User Gallery

#7114514 - 07/01/07 09:55 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

NO they are not pinheads or primordia yet, they are called rhizomorphs, Very thick networks of mycelium.
Things are looking very good there man.:thumbup:
The spawning run as it is called usually takes around 5 days if things are moving fast like yours is.
Probably case in 4-7 days, or when it is totally white and covered in rhizomorphs.
Kind of like this close up the surface of z-strain substrate.
Also see how the water is beading on the surface, that is the perfect moisture level.

I like that pic, My first grow:tongue2:

Can you take a close up of one of the nice rhizo areas.?:grin:

How deep is or what is the volume of that tub, how much substrate is in there, including the spawn ?

What did you end up using in your substrate?

How are you planning on fruiting this. As a mono-tub, in a greenhouse.?

Have you provided for GE(gas exchange) for colonization, and if its a mono-tub it need FAE(fresh air exchange) when fruiting?

Thats a whole bunch of questions:shrug:

--------------------
LAGM 2.022

Edited by UnderNose (07/01/07 10:11 AM)

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7114550 - 07/01/07 10:16 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks!

It's about 2 liters of coir, with a little coffee and bone meal. Two half-pint jars of WBS mixed in. There's an inch of perlite underneath.

Close ups:

That's a Sterilite 1894 'Show Off' tub
I'm planning to mono-tub it. I'll cut large holes in the top tub, and some smaller holes in the one you see. Do I need gas exchange for further colonization, and is it safe to just open and fan it?

That's a lot of answers- ask more questions!

EDIT- spawning to coir was a great idea.

--------------------

Edited by Dr_T (07/01/07 10:25 AM)

InvisibleUnderNose
all out of bubble gum
 User Gallery

#7114645 - 07/01/07 10:49 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Those extras are probably whats making the speedy rizho growth. and yes coir is nice and handy:yesnod:

I am unsure what will happen to that layer of perlite under the substrate.
It will provide some extra moisture to the substrate, but as far as I know that is never done with a casing or mono tub.
It might cause some problems, I wouldn't do that again unless it turns out it helps.
Sometimes there might be a layer of casing material or vermiculite on the bottom as well as the top.

It's better to have all the holes pre-drilled, ,depending on the size of the mono-tub maybe 6 to 20 as round as a pencil.
When colonizing is happening have half of them covered with micro pour tape, the other half taped shut.

You want gas exchange when colonizing substrate or spawn, this means just enough for the build up of gasses to move in a out on their own, like the air holes in your jars.
That thick humid environment helps the colonization.
Plus if you open it for air everyday before it is colonized you risk contaminating it.

When moving into the fruiting stage after casing you want fresh air exchange, a constant supply of oxygen coming in & carbon dioxide going out.
So uncover all the air holes in the tub, With enough holes you shouldn't have to fan it.
This sudden increase in oxygen combined with the full colonization of the substrate and exposure to 12 on, 12 off light is what makes the pins, primordia form.

I hope that all made sense, any questions
Oh I have two,

You probably could get away with making that out of just one tub if the inch of perlite wasn't in the bottom.
How high in inches are these tubs you have??

How did you prepare the perlite & substrate that is in the tub & did you wipe the tub down with isopropyl alcohol?
Your sterility will determine your results.

--------------------
LAGM 2.022

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7114659 - 07/01/07 10:56 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Pc'd the perlite, isopropyl in the tub. Pasteurized the coir mix in the microwave (boiled quickly, then simmered). Big splash of peroxide in the perlite.

I put in the perlite because I basically live in a desert- humdity is practically nonexistent around here. That's why I'm going to monotub it. (I didn't think to put the holes in first, got too excited).

I don't care for micropore tape, I'm more of a polyfil guy. You think I should go ahead and drill 1-inch holes for GE? Right above the substrate level, I assume, so the CO2 can drain out.

--------------------

InvisibleUnderNose
all out of bubble gum
 User Gallery

#7114679 - 07/01/07 11:04 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Thats sounds like it will do OK then, I'll be interested in what happens with your perlite reservoir.
Yes thats correct about the CO2, put two or three in each long side, one or two on the short sides and  two in the top.
Be careful where all the plastic shavings end up, I guess won't matter that much if it's sterile plastic.

Anyway, 3am here:boring:
Time to get some sleep, I made three mono tubs bunch of LCs and grain jars today.
I got two more mono-tubs to do tomorrow.

--------------------
LAGM 2.022

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7114695 - 07/01/07 11:10 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

3am? Go get some sleep!

Check back tomorrow, though.

Thanks again for your help!

--------------------

Invisiblew. murderface
7/7/07

#7117001 - 07/01/07 10:48 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

im using 35 gallon blue plastic rubbermade tubs. are those too big or should they be clear. Knowlage is power

--------------------

OfflineLVL12
Author andPerfector ofFailure
 User Gallery

#7117269 - 07/01/07 11:54 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Jiffy mix for casing its 50verm and 50 Peat, theres other brands too in the potting soil sections that are 50/50... I've been successful with Jiffy Mix

--------------------
Disclaimer: Posts from LVL12 are strictly for entertainment and are a work of fiction, nothing written or said by LVL12 should in interpreted as truth, fact or by their literal definitions or translations. Anyone who reads/listens to these words does so at their own risk, parental discretion is advised.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale