Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineEpigallo
Stranger
The Gamer Generation
    #7102421 - 06/28/07 07:41 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I watched a documentary on Discovery Times called the Gamer Generation. They devoted about an hour to online rpgs like WoW, Second Life, etc. The more advanced your character is, the more power you have; you can have experiences in the game that lower level characters cannot.

So, what does this reward system lead to? They showed a man (re-enacment maybe) who was rushed to the hospital, but died from playing one of these for 50 hours straight without eating, drinking, or sleeping, and the dehydration killed him. They commented that 75 others in North Korea have died "in similar" manners. In fact, at least 2 million people in Asia have "life threatening" addictions to online RPGs. There are sweatshops in third world countries where people over here pay them to play their character and advance their level. I attribute it all to the hierarchial nature of the games.

They also spent much time on a U.S. army recruitment tool, which is the freely downloadable U.S. army video game. They threw out some frightening statistics about its efficacy, saying something like 90% of people who join are players of this game. Whether you're anti-military or not, this tactic of luring in the young is coercion at its worst.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDistortedEyes
hello
Male

Loc: uk
Re: The Gamer Generation [Re: Epigallo]
    #7102520 - 06/28/07 08:25 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

that is some crazy shit, yeah sometimes you can get into a game allot but not to the point of not eating/sleeping(well i guess i've been proven wrong), these people must already have some problems or something
, They were probably on meth.

--------------------
Sometimes when I read threads visions of men sword fighting with their genitalia run through my head. - sadspacemonkey

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #7102522 - 06/28/07 08:27 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

bradley said:
So, what does this reward system lead to? They showed a man (re-enacment maybe) who was rushed to the hospital, but died from playing one of these for 50 hours straight without eating, drinking, or sleeping, and the dehydration killed him. They commented that 75 others in North Korea have died "in similar" manners. In fact, at least 2 million people in Asia have "life threatening" addictions to online RPGs. There are sweatshops in third world countries where people over here pay them to play their character and advance their level. I attribute it all to the hierarchial nature of the games.

:lol: You're blaming the games?

Look, if someone wants to play a videogame and mixes up their priorities so that they think fighting some level 60 dragon for the secret chalice of wizzawazza is more important than eating breakfast, that's their own fucking choice. And by choice I mean lack of common sense.

And by lack of common sense I mean utter fucking stupidity.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
    #7102526 - 06/28/07 08:28 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

...Video games are just another tool used to keep the masses entertained and distracted from what is really going on in the world.

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Offlinemoon_glue
Orwell's Post9/11 Era
Male

Loc: Earth, today...
Re: The Gamer Generation [Re: Rono]
    #7102544 - 06/28/07 08:35 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Rono said:
...Video games are just another tool used to keep the masses entertained and distracted from what is really going on in the world.

yes all the xbox sheeple really gross me out with it

i grow up on Super Nintendo, the Playstation, and Computer games. But for the most part I feel like I've grown out of them. Unless some game comes along that strikes nostalgia in me. Goodness, im gonna be a mess if they ever make diablo 3 or vampires the masquerade redemption 2.

OfflineEpigallo
Stranger
Re: The Gamer Generation [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #7102743 - 06/28/07 10:06 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

OneMoreRobot3021 said:
Quote:

bradley said:

:lol: You're blaming the games?

Look, if someone wants to play a videogame and mixes up their priorities so that they think fighting some level 60 dragon for the secret chalice of wizzawazza is more important than eating breakfast, that's their own fucking choice. And by choice I mean lack of common sense.

And by lack of common sense I mean utter fucking stupidity.

I'm mostly blaming the hierarchial reward system that the games are built on. It's a coercive marketing strategy. Coercive marketing always gives people the impression that they are acting in accordance with their best interests, at least until the marketers have gotten what they want.

Male

#7102744 - 06/28/07 10:07 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

People don't skip lunch to get straight A's in school.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineEpigallo
Stranger
    #7102755 - 06/28/07 10:08 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not seeing your point

Offline0xYg3n
topdawg
 User Gallery

#7102783 - 06/28/07 10:17 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I almost flunked my senior year in high school over an MMORPG. Played that game for like 4-5 years. I wouldn't eat sometimes. I would wake up at like 5 a.m. just so I could get an extra hour of dungeon time in before zero hour at school. Half days just meant I was going to a friends to game. It was called Asheron's Call, it came out around the time EQ did.

I play WoW, but I never had an addiction quite like the one I had with AC.

InvisibleApollyphelion
Dungeon Master/Princess(1009)
Female User Gallery
Loc: Festival of Deaths
    #7102797 - 06/28/07 10:20 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

My brother plays WoW pretty heavily, but It's not his life like some other people play it.

--------------------

"I'm looking at you looking at it"

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL PLEASE! www.youtube.com/apollyphelion

Creator of the World's Worst Comic Book

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
    #7102800 - 06/28/07 10:22 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Videogames and especially mmorpgs can be extremely addictive. An addiction is an addiction wheter you smoke ciggs, drink alcohol, gambling or other drugs.

"Look, if someone wants to do heroin and mixes up their priorities so that they think shooting heroin is more important than eating breakfast, that's their own fucking choice. And by choice I mean lack of common sense.

And by lack of common sense I mean utter fucking stupidity. "

See what i did there?

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
    #7102802 - 06/28/07 10:22 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

*South Korea

--------------------

Male

#7102804 - 06/28/07 10:22 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

bradley said:
I'm not seeing your point

School is built on a rewards system. Hell so is life. How many people are found dead in their offices because they didn't eat so they could get more work done to get the promotion?

(Yes, I am engaging in hyperbole.)

You're giving way too much credit the game designers and marketers. Sure they get what they want but who gives it to them? People. People making choices. It is a choice to stay up for days on end, taking speed and playing World of Warcraft and not eating. A stupid choice.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

Male

Re: The Gamer Generation [Re: Scarfmeister]
    #7102808 - 06/28/07 10:23 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomnoob said:
Videogames and especially mmorpgs can be extremely addictive. An addiction is an addiction wheter you smoke ciggs, drink alcohol, gambling or other drugs.

"Look, if someone wants to do heroin and mixes up their priorities so that they think shooting heroin is more important than eating breakfast, that's their own fucking choice. And by choice I mean lack of common sense.

And by lack of common sense I mean utter fucking stupidity. "

See what i did there?

Yes, I see what you did there. You completely ignored the fact that a videogame doesn't actually create a physical, chemical dependence that the body craves, and therefore engaged in hyperbole far more pointless than my own.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Gamer Generation [Re: moon_glue]
    #7102812 - 06/28/07 10:24 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

moon_glue said:
But for the most part I feel like I've grown out of them.

Sucks for you, I love videos as much, if not more, than when I was 10.

--------------------

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Gamer Generation [Re: 0xYg3n]
    #7102822 - 06/28/07 10:26 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

WoW is pretty awesome, but I still have a life IRL with friends and shit. I'm not the kind of person that never leaves the house because of a video game (or any "hobby" for that matter,) and if I was, I would quit.

--------------------

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
    #7102831 - 06/28/07 10:28 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

well neither does playing slot machines yet thousands of people totally destroy their lives over it. And i would vaguer that once you get addicted to online games your body probably produces chemical stimulants when you play.

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

Offline0xYg3n
topdawg
 User Gallery

Re: The Gamer Generation [Re: HELLA_TIGHT]
    #7102845 - 06/28/07 10:31 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

The highest guy I ever made in WoW is 47. I really haven't been that addicted to WoW.

I made a career out of the other one, though.

OfflineEpigallo
Stranger
Re: The Gamer Generation [Re: HELLA_TIGHT]
    #7102884 - 06/28/07 10:39 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

School is built on a rewards system. Hell so is life. How many people are found dead in their offices because they didn't eat so they could get more work done to get the promotion?

It's the way the rewards are structured in conjunction with hierarchy. You get rewards for moving up the hierarchy, and fast. Level up, and immediately new spells, weapons, and clothes become available - greater expression through the character is achieved. School doesn't do this...its hardly built on rewards, more on punishment. Students generally view school as something they have to do. People do become workaholics though, and you bet its mostly to work up to a promotion.

Coercion exists. By coercion I mean the act of compelling someone to act involuntarily. And it is done through some RPGs, through reward systems. I agree that these people still have a small amount of free will on some level, but to say that a game can't diminish one's sense of free will...well, what then is happening to these "addicted" people?

Male

#7102895 - 06/28/07 10:40 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

bradley said:
I agree that these people still have a small amount of free will on some level, but to say that a game can't diminish one's sense of free will...well, what then is happening to these "addicted" people?

This may sound harsh, but they're weak.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds