Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejiv tree
Stranger
 User Gallery
Melbourne hunting ID please
    #6937312 - 05/19/07 02:27 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I went on my first hunting expedition yesterday and have found a handful of what I think (hope) are Psilocybe Subaeruginosa. Any help you could give identifying these will be appreciated.

Colour: light brown cap, white stem which is now dark brown/black after handeling.

Size: diameter of cap between 1cm to 6cm, cap is quite thin not 'meaty' steam is also thin.

Gills are light brown/beige

I have tried to do a spore print, but don't think it worked, or it maybe white and I couldn't see properly, will try again tonight.

Was found in inner eastern suburb of Melbourne, in old damp tan bark.

Any help would be great. Thanks

Edited by jiv tree (05/19/07 02:43 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehaunted
 User Gallery

Re: Melbourne hunting ID please [Re: jiv tree]
    #6937695 - 05/19/07 04:49 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

sorry matey they don't look like subs to me. not sure what you've got yourself there. Its very hard to tell from the pictures though. Did you notice any blue bruising>

OfflineThe Gnome
Geektarist
Male

Loc: Tasmania - Ozzyland
Re: Melbourne hunting ID please [Re: haunted]
    #6937727 - 05/19/07 05:29 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I'm most definately not an expert in this field (or the one next to it) but i'm pretty sure they're not subs + theres no blue-ing as haunted said.

--------------------
- The best things in life are free - ... though there ARE some cool flashy lights over there for a buck fifty..

*I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like, it's got a basket-a-bell-that-rings-and-things-to make it look good*

"Who are the brain police?" - Zappa.

Offlineflukes
Stranger
Re: Melbourne hunting ID please [Re: The Gnome]
    #6937783 - 05/19/07 06:12 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

The best way to tell a p.sub in melb is its white stem, and it has a distinct look to it. Plus blue bruising.

Offlinejiv tree
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Melbourne hunting ID please [Re: flukes]
    #6941223 - 05/20/07 01:45 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks very much for the replies.

I'm not quite sure what is meant by 'blue bruising' does this mean that if you were to, say press on the steam, an obvious blue colour appears? As in sky blue?

Any pointers on distinguishing features I could keep an eye out for on my next hunt would be great.

Thanks again

Offlineundergrounder
fluffy bunny
 User Gallery

Loc: Sydney Flag
    #6941510 - 05/20/07 04:13 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

jiv tree said:

I'm not quite sure what is meant by 'blue bruising' does this mean that if you were to, say press on the steam, an obvious blue colour appears? As in sky blue?

Any pointers on distinguishing features I could keep an eye out for on my next hunt would be great.

Thanks again

The blueing might already be on some mushrooms growing in the wild, especially at the base of the stem if they've been a little stressed in growth. Yes the blue is an obvious blue, certainly you'd notice the difference between 'dark' bruising and real 'blue' bruising. it usually takes 10 minutes, more or less to appear. A good way to test is roll the point where you cut the stem around in your fingers.

Its tempting to rely on colour and shape but the first 2 indicators you should use are noticeable azure blue blueing and a dark brown/purpley spore print. If neither of those are present you can discount most finds. If both ARE present then try another ID request.

Oh yeah and getting a spore print isn't too hard as long as the caps aren't too dry or mature. Make sure you use a cup to increase the humidity a bit and a drop of water on the cap if necessary.

--------------------
:igor: RIP :igor:

Bigger and bolder and rougher and tougher in other words sucka there is no other...
:pinkshroom: :supershroom: :mushroom2: :shroomer: :mushroom2: :supershroom: :pinkshroom:

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #6941524 - 05/20/07 04:29 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Like others have said, that is not an active species.

I'll be honest, I just finished my last assignment for the semester and I've been drinking so I can't fully help you...

You did ask about Psilocybes' bluing reaction. I have several pics to give you an idea of what a genuine psilocybe oxidation reaction looks like:

Psilocybe cubensis bluing.

More Ps. cubensis bluing, it takes on a greenish appearance here due to the yellowish colored stem.

Classic bluing from Psilocybe weilii. Don't expect such a perfect example of a bluing reaction, this isn't too common. Blue green tends to dominate most Psilocybes.

Another classic bluing example from Ps. weilii.

Very, very faint blue/green oxidation reaction in Panaeolus subbalteatus.

... I hope that gives you an idea of the "true" bluing reaction in Psilocybes. It's a quite unique color once you have an idea of what it looks like.

Offlinejiv tree
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Melbourne hunting ID please [Re: Gumby]
    #6941699 - 05/20/07 06:35 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks guys for the informative responses, am learning a lot and those photos should prove very helpful.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #6942049 - 05/20/07 08:59 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Oh my god- it's Gumby!!  :shocked:

Finals over, I presume?

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Melbourne hunting ID please [Re: CureCat]
    #6942756 - 05/20/07 01:05 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Heh... Yep. And I just finished my last paper. I've got about 2 weeks before life gets crazy again with my neuroscience internship (possibly 2 internships).

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #6943269 - 05/20/07 03:33 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

You lucky sucker.

--------------------

Offlinejiv tree
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Melbourne hunting ID please [Re: CureCat]
    #7080708 - 06/22/07 05:44 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Oh my goodness! I can't believe I thought these were Subs... what a newbi! :blush:

Thanks for not laughing at me guys, I have learnt a lot over the last few weeks :thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate