Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCode
addict
Re: idea in the making
    #70793 - 01/08/00 07:08 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

As an experiment I once used spent cakes to colonize a compost and vermiculite mixture.

I sliced the cake into four layers and cut off the parts that where exposed to the air while growing, in an attempt to reduce the risk of contamination. I then rehydrated the slices a bit (they were pretty dry) by laying them on a plate and covering them with a large dessicator lid and spraying them with sterile water every 10 mins or so for an hour.

I then embedded them in a 64oz cup full of the compost and vermiculite mixture. It colonized very fast, half of the cup was colonized in about 2-3 days.

Unfortunately I ended up with some contaminations so was not able to take the experiment to fruiting.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineatlas
always listening
Male
    #70795 - 01/08/00 08:54 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

hmmm, so where do you think your contam came from? this sounds like a great way to continue a production but we need to get rid of the contam. Lets figure this out people, think about all the shrooms you could harvest and never have to wait!!

--------------------
"....there are no restraints on the Federal Reserve, the Fed is master of all it controls."
-Murray N. Rothbard

Anonymous

#70796 - 01/08/00 09:55 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

The idea is to allow the cake or substrate to fully colonize in a sterile environment like a jar or bag till it is fully colonized. When you take it out of the jar in less that sterile conditions to move it to the grow chamber and or case it...it can get contaminated. You may never see any signs of contamination since your substrate/cake is fully colonized. So when you go to use the spent cake to get another crop going...the contamination that is present can get a foothold in the fresh uncolonized substrate. You might consider cutting an outer layer off of the cake under sterile conditions...But I don't mess with it since while I'm birthing substrate, I just get new substrate going to follow right behind the current harvest. Good Luck.

------------------
Peace, Love & Light

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation