Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepowderfinger
Initiate pinning via dry shocking
    #706317 - 06/27/02 06:01 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I colonized two casings that were in a six inch deep box with a lid. After the colonization was complete I put them in a large terrarium. It took a few days for me to get a new hygrometer and when I put it in the humidity was around 75%. I got the humidity up and the thing pined imedeatly. The other casing has stayed in the box with high RH and hasn't pinned yet. Has anyone else had their humidity drop dramaticly and had their casing pin? Let me know what you think?

--------------------
Shelter me from the powder and the finger,
cover me with the thought that pulled the trigger.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLilMerlin
Life magicapprentice
Loc: Europe.
Re: Initiate pinning via dry shocking [Re: powderfinger]
    #707013 - 06/28/02 02:39 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

In my very limited experience with Maza mycelium (I can't speak of pins yet!), I fanned my mycelium probably a bit too often and my humidity was certainly below 90 for a few days... and my mycelium simply overlayed and dryied out...

So whatever humidity level you re-introduce post-trauma, your mycelium will not get in better shape once dead.

This is to say that maybe the dry shocking may be a bit dangerous. But I'm just a newbie thinking... saying things in the "pro" forum... So that the "pros" answer your pretty interesting question, by firing me!

LilMerlin.

--------------------
"Five grams in silent darkness." T. McKenna
Why take more? Take different!

Offlinebumboclot
Stranger
Re: Initiate pinning via dry shocking [Re: LilMerlin]
    #707541 - 06/28/02 09:00 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

its funny.today i just check my outdoor puertorican casing and wow. i had lil scraps left over from a old casing. i spawned horse dung and let it colonize(all outside).anyways that brings me back to ........wow. for the last three days its been really hot. and ive been afraid to mist my casing so much cause it gets hurt when you get it to wet any ways i decided it had been to long so i sprayed it. a day later (today)pins every where it dried out but pinned right after i misted it. i think this is risky and i dont even know how fool proof it could be, if at all. but it looks like it could work. i think and this is just a though ...that the mycilium stopped eating and focused on fruiting when it started to dry a lil. and when i misted it it had the moister it needed for its fruits. any ways ill post pics if it turns out good

Offlinepowderfinger
Re: Initiate pinning via dry shocking [Re: bumboclot]
    #710771 - 06/29/02 09:49 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

The control casing just started to form hyphal knots six days after the dry shocked one. I am guessing that maybe, when the mycelium grows to the surface in nature it is exposed to lower humidity. I am still aiting to hear from some oldtimers on this to see what they say.

--------------------
Shelter me from the powder and the finger,
cover me with the thought that pulled the trigger.

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Initiate pinning via dry shocking [Re: powderfinger]
    #712801 - 06/30/02 08:35 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hmm. The interesting thing to see is whether these dry shocked pins actually mature or if many/most abort.
The thing that could be happening is in the lower rH environment the surface is transpiring more [slightly 'drying out'], thus reducing surface CO2. Perhaps the dryness wasn't enough to prevent primordia formation, and the loss of CO2 was enough to stimulate it.

Just thoughts, there are only a few variables for initiation to occur. . .again, the real question will be to what degree they mature vs. the tray that was in high rH the whole time.

Best-

OfflineWaldarbeiter
can you eat it?

Loc: woods of lower bavaria
Re: Initiate pinning via dry shocking [Re: Suntzu]
    #717177 - 07/02/02 02:24 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I had success with dry-shockin one time even though I didn't intend to do so.
I forgot my box full of cased cubensis jars under my window (south-sided) before I went to school. When I came home I was shocked, cuz I thought the mycelium would be dead cuz of heat and it was also very dry...
After spraying the surface a little bit with Aqua dest. , a2 days later primordia formed...
and good shrooms were produced

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate