Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDrCamacho89
Mazel Tuff
Male

My Gym Routine Starts Today!
    #7065804 - 06/19/07 01:44 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

So I'm getting a little soft. Basically, since I had arthoscopic shoulder surgery 2 years ago, I have stopped excercising in a gym regularly. I went through an abs and cardio schedule for about a few months a year and a half ago, but then work took over my life, and now I'm left 30 pounds heavier with a nice spare tire that only really effects me in the summer time.

I am turning to the health nuts of the shroomery for motivation. I joined a gym last month, but have only been 3 times since then. Any suggestions, as to diet, routine, excercise order etc. would be appreciated. I just need to stay inspired.

I want to feel healthy again! I used to be in unbelievable shape in college. I walk a lot, having lived in NYC and Chicago the last 4 years without a car, so I guess that's how I've managed to make it this long without a workout routine and not gain 100 pounds. I am also an "inner fatty", meaning I was very heavy growing up and even in high school, didn't lose the weight until the summer before college. I suppose my self esteem really takes a hit when I see and feel I'm getting heavy due to the constant harassment as a kid, and lack of female attention in High School. I wish I didn't have those issues, but it's something I have come to realize about myself. Nothing would make me feel better than to get back in shape. Help a brother out?

--------------------
"The Highways of Life are Paved with Flat Squirrels who Couldn't Make Up Their Minds"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineserendipitythenot
Stranger
Female User Gallery
Re: My Gym Routine Starts Today! [Re: DrCamacho89]
    #7065888 - 06/19/07 02:10 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

DrCamacho89 said:

I just need to stay inspired.

find a workout buddy!
i just bought a gym membership yesterday. i'm lazy as fuck but when i have a friend around, it helps to motivate me, and i tend to push myself alot harder. might work for you too.
also, since you're trying to lose weight, I would suggest googling circuit training. it's a mix of strength and aerobic exercises, and apparently it burns hella calories.
sorry i can't be of more help, but goodluck on losing that weight!

OfflineAndy21
Armchairanarchist

#7066187 - 06/19/07 03:41 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I am in a similar situation to you (inner fat child syndrome), I was getting a little doughy at the end of last year so I joined up at this awful gym that resembles a nightclub (fucking techno music). Having someone to show off to definately helps, but then theres the danger of getting dependent on them being there. Theres a lot of good programmes on www.bodybuilding.com. Just look through the beginners programs. Circuit training is fucking awesome, lots of martial arts incorporate it, look into Muay Thai boxing lessons. Stairmaster is very good too, at my gym I notice its always the same fat guys on the cross trainer, treadmills and bikes, they never look any better.

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #7066789 - 06/19/07 06:23 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

If you have the room, even a little space in a closet, get some home gym equipment!  Working out a home is excellent, and you never have the excuse of not wanting to go out to the gym.

I purchased a fold-down weight bench, 40-lb (adjustable) dumbbells, an exercise band set with varying resistances (the largest is 75 lbs.), a jump rope, a mini trampoline, an ab wheel, a 12" kid's ball, 5-lb handweights, and several workout DVD's.

I have a tiny living room, and the equipment lives in my broom closet when not in use.  I use my indoor staircase, my couch, chairs & my body weight in addition to the equipment listed.  For about $150 I put together a home gym that allows me to work out whenever I want.  :thumbup:

For weight loss & health improvement, I highly recommend "The pH Miracle," by Robert Young.

Best of luck!

OfflineDrCamacho89
Mazel Tuff
Male

Re: My Gym Routine Starts Today! [Re: Veritas]
    #7067349 - 06/19/07 08:33 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

That's interesting. I just watched the PH Miracle CNN interview on Youtube. Thanks for the tip.

I bet the home gym comes in handy, but ya know, it's not just the workout that I like about the gym. It's the motivation to get off my lazy ass, walk to the train, take it there, push myself because I'm already out there, so I have to make it worth it kind of attitude that requires me to go out to a gym.

Some dumbells may come in handy for when I find myself not able to get there for a while.

--------------------
"The Highways of Life are Paved with Flat Squirrels who Couldn't Make Up Their Minds"

OfflineRoxum
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: AR
Re: My Gym Routine Starts Today! [Re: Veritas]
    #7067385 - 06/19/07 08:42 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I'm getting back into running. At least 30 minutes (at my pace, not the fuckin' airborne shuffle shit) every other day for a week, then every day. Who needs a gym? Do stuff like overhead hand claps and the forward clap, pushups, situps. Get creative and do dips using furniture.

--------------------
Back and out of the Army!

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
    #7067743 - 06/19/07 10:18 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I say find a pool and start swiming.

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: My Gym Routine Starts Today! [Re: Brainiac]
    #7067820 - 06/19/07 10:46 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

fuck workout buddies - they can become a crutch, and over time if they stop, you stop.

i've been going to the gym solo 5 days a week, 2 hours per day like clockwork for the past 4 months.

the things that motivate me are less than noble, but i'll list them anyways, since I never claimed to be the pope or anything.

- fat people at the gym, not even doing anything
- people on cellphones at the gym
- the asses on the girls/women there
- thinking about all the garbage i ate during the day
- "chunking" my time.

i'll break these down even further, as now that i've listed them they are pretty much my entire support base for working out (other than personal progress, which is great but certainly hard to measure since it's so gradual).

first of all, when i see someone on their cell phone at the gym, or just as bad when theres some fat person taking up a treadmill, but going slower than most people walk regularly - or when someone takes forever on equipment (constantly messing with their phone, ipod, talking to friends, etc.)

that stuff really irritates me, but it's ok because at the gym you can use that to workout, and remind yourself you are there for a reason, not to fuck around.

obviously whenever you see a nice ass go by, you can use that as motivation too - but also it helps keep your mind off whatever you are doing, and since most gyms are covered in mirrors, theres always something to look at.

thinking about the food i ate during the day (or on mondays, over the weekend) will usually push me to do an extra 10-20 minutes of cardio most days, especially when i'm ready to call it quits.

finally, chunking my time is one of the most valuable things i do, otherwise i would be waiting to leave after a half hour. I have a certain routine - 10 minutes light cardio warmup, then 30 minutes cardio, maintaining 160-170 heartrate.

sometimes that 30 minutes can be an eternity - so i do 3 minutes, then tell myself i need to double that - at 6, im 1/5 done - and after i double that to 12, i'm almost at 15... so them i just count another 3 minutes, then im 1/2 done... at 22:30 i'm 3/4 done... i constantly do that to keep myself going, but perhaps i'm just a little crazy?

after cardio is all done (approx 45 min) I really only have an hour left for actual workout (since i'll do 10 minute warmdown before leaving). Killing an hour working out is pretty easy - I do 5-6 different workouts, 5-6 sets each. Each set takes about 10 minutes, including resting between each - so then i gauge my time by the workouts. after i've done 3, i already know it's almost over.

certain days I don't mind the workouts as much, like on chest days, or arms, since i kinda like those - but i always dread cardio / aerobics.

hopefully this ramble helped in some way.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

OfflineDrCamacho89
Mazel Tuff
Male

Re: My Gym Routine Starts Today! [Re: kotik]
    #7068058 - 06/19/07 11:47 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

It did, it takes you through the mindset of how it feels in a good routine. I take myself seriously at the gym, don't really screw around. I miss how seriously I used to take it, perhaps I need to be more like that again.

--------------------

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

#7068631 - 06/20/07 04:25 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Get an ipod or some sort of mp3 player with really good tunes and try listening to it only when you're at the gym.

I'm obsessed though and don't need any motivation to get in the gym. Even working 10-12 hours at a rock quarry and processing upwards of 50t of rocks (yes, 50 fucking tons) I will never miss a work out lol :smirk:

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

OfflineDrCamacho89
Mazel Tuff
Male

#7068999 - 06/20/07 08:45 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

So, I have an IPOD.  I made a workout mix.  If you're interested what's on it, or want to add one of your personal motivation favorites, please feel free to recommend.  My workout schedule looks like this...

Tues (since I started yesterday). Abs warmup, 10 minutes on a treadmill, back and biceps excercises, 20 minutes on a stairmaster

Wed.  abs warmup, 10 minutes shooting baskets, shoulder excercises

Thurs.  Spinning class 1 hour

Fri abs warmup, 10 minutes on treadmill, chest and triceps, 20 minutes on stairmaster

Sat. abs warmup, light leg excercises and spinning class 1 hour OR heavy leg excercises and no class.

Sun. Off  (this new gym I joined is great though.  They have a pool, basketball court, rock climbing wall and sauna.  I can come in and participate in those on my days off)

Mon. Off

Basically, I'm not going to adhere to a strict diet, but watch what I eat closely.  Don't fill myself up too much.  Eat a lot of fruit, drink a lot of water, try not to eat past 9 PM.  I dont' work well on strict diet, I would rather get myself just into a pattern of eating the right foods.  I do eat right normally, but I'm going to try to substitute a lot of salads for lunch and fish for dinner a few days a week.  There is no set weight limit.  I weigh 214 right now.  I would like to at least get down to 190, but I want to get it off and keep it off rather than crash diet.  That route doesn't work for me.  Building a managable and realistic with my daily life routine is what is going to make sure I keep this weight off.

I'm motivated this time, and I am going to rock this shit.  I start a new job on Monday, and I dont' need to be in until 10 AM.  I think I will start working out in the morning before work.  What do you all think about working out in the morning compared to the afternoon?

Thanks for putting up with basically my online journal.  :cheers:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order