Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTen_Percenter
LonestarExplorer
Male

Why does everyone act like mushrooms are so sacred?
    #7068947 - 06/20/07 08:16 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I mean do you really think they're holy or something? These seem to be the same types that tell you you shouldn't trip for fun. Not trying to diss or sound like an ass but what's the deal? It's a drug, not a shamanic tool. Feel free to disagree, I try to keep an open mind.

Edited by Ten_Percenter (06/20/07 08:22 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinededjam
Electro Penguin
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Moralton, Statesota
Re: Why does everyone act like mushrooms are so sacred? [Re: Ten_Percenter] * 1
    #7068954 - 06/20/07 08:21 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Whether or not something is sacred is purely a personal feelings. What is sacred to one may not be to another. That said, I do believe they are sacred because of the experiences I have been through...but I certainly dont think there is anything wrong with tripping for fun...just be careful when you are tripping for fun, because the mushrooms may have another path for you.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but not entitled to having the opinions of others pushed on them like they are fact.

OfflineWronguy

Re: Why does everyone act like mushrooms are so sacred? [Re: Ten_Percenter]
    #7068955 - 06/20/07 08:22 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Mushrooms are 100% natural and I feel like people call them sacred just as Native Americans would call peyote sacred. Psilocybin is also very taxing on the mind. I think because the subconscious mind is so prevalent during a trip, people consider this some type of spiritual experience. I guess it could be classified as such.

I personally don't think they're holy, but science has proven that psychedelics do have benefit in personal development and as such could be construed as a shamanic tool.

OfflineTen_Percenter
LonestarExplorer
Male

Re: Why does everyone act like mushrooms are so sacred? [Re: dedjam]
    #7068960 - 06/20/07 08:23 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Well, I'm not trying to come off that way. It certainly is just an opinion.

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
    #7068963 - 06/20/07 08:26 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

You are incorrect... I am not religious at ALL, not even spiritual. I am a solid scientific athiest.

However, I do feel mushrooms in particular have some kind of "cosmic energy", and evidence of fractal visions and the sudden dawning of new ideas support the theory that shrooms helped humans "evolve". It makes more sense to me than some god just making us so.

Thousands of years of usage makes them "sacred" to me. The same thing with weed... Look at Rastafari people. Marijuana is as holy as holy gets. :shrug:

And I am one of those guys who would tell you not to just shroom for fun... They can be used for fun, but you MUST be willing to accept the risk. I find shrooms are much better used as a tool to unlock the doors in the 5 pound universe called your brain.

Not so much "don't use them for fun".... More like "make sure you are fully prepared for the journey, then have fun, but hopefully come back more enlightened than you left". :smile:

Offlinedirtworshipper
Sitting in the heart cave
Male User Gallery

Loc: at The Guru's lotus feet
Re: Why does everyone act like mushrooms are so sacred? [Re: dedjam]
    #7068968 - 06/20/07 08:28 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I agree that it's a matter of opinion.

For me, psychedelics are very spiritual.
If they weren't, I probably wouldn't do them more than once.

It all boils down to what you believe though.

--------------------

“You've got as many lives as you like, and more, even ones you don't want.” - George Harrison

InvisibleFlop Johnson
Praise Skatballah
Male

Loc: TX
    #7068969 - 06/20/07 08:28 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

An active mind receives the best experiences, I suppose because I think about consciousness, sub-consciousnesses, the world, and the universe on a daily basis I am rewarded in a trip with lots of enlightening things to think about. I never learn any new information while I'm tripping, but my brain just matches random patterns and I sometimes see things in new light. Now whether or not something is "sacred" is completely subjective. And those that are upset at others for doing them for "fun" are probably more upset that the other person does not view mushrooms as a meaningful experience.

InvisibleReoSpeedwagon153
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chetumal, Mexico
    #7068970 - 06/20/07 08:29 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

It's not a drug. You don't take a pill, a tab, a pile of crystals, or anything like that. You EAT A MUSHROOM.

That is the difference. They come straight from the ground, no preparation required. They contain a chemical unlike any chemical in any plant or animal on the planet. They show no evolutionary mechanism for containing this chemical, nor any obvious means for having evolved the capability to produce this chemical.

They also grow on the manure of domesticated animals. This leads some of us to believe that the mushrooms, as a species, are attempting (or are deeply involved in) some form of communication with the human species. Some of us think that consciousness can take many forms, and that humans have only come into one form of thinking, and that mushrooms may posess another kind of consciousness that we can't fully understand right now.

I'm not saying you shouldn't trip for fun. You should do whatever you think is fun, as long as it isn't harming anything. Mushrooms do have quite a serious side to them though.

Also, as someone mentioned recently in a different thread tossing around the same ideas, there are trips that blow your mind apart. There are trips you can't come back from with the same notions and opinions you had going into them. Some trips change everything.

After an experience that forces you to rethink everything you ever knew, and the concept of knowledge itself, you gain a bit of reverence for the fungal teachers that brought you there. Maybe you haven't been eating for long enough?

--------------------
“I thought naming myself ‘ReoSpeedwagon153’ on a forum was a funny idea in 2006.”

InvisibleFlop Johnson
Praise Skatballah
Male

Loc: TX
Re: Why does everyone act like mushrooms are so sacred? [Re: ReoSpeedwagon153]
    #7068976 - 06/20/07 08:33 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ReoSpeedwagon153 said:

Also, as someone mentioned recently in a different thread tossing around the same ideas, there are trips that blow your mind apart. There are trips you can't come back from with the same notions and opinions you had going into them. Some trips change everything.

After an experience that forces you to rethink everything you ever knew, and the concept of knowledge itself, you gain a bit of reverence for the fungal teachers that brought you there. Maybe you haven't been eating for long enough?

That's a good perspective, I have definitely experienced that before myself - most notably on my first trip.

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #7068983 - 06/20/07 08:38 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Sometimes I like to just get my kicks.

But 95 percent of the time I see them not as drugs, nor sacraments, but vital tools for self-development and self-discovery.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleReoSpeedwagon153
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chetumal, Mexico
Re: Why does everyone act like mushrooms are so sacred? [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #7068994 - 06/20/07 08:43 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

OneMoreRobot3021 said:
Sometimes I like to just get my kicks.

But 95 percent of the time I see them not as drugs, nor sacraments, but vital tools for self-development and self-discovery.

Exactly. This isn't an either/or question. Either/or is a logical fallacy.

--------------------
“I thought naming myself ‘ReoSpeedwagon153’ on a forum was a funny idea in 2006.”

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
Re: Why does everyone act like mushrooms are so sacred? [Re: ReoSpeedwagon153]
    #7069055 - 06/20/07 09:12 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Without going into great detail I would posit the sacredness of shrooms is based on their natural and utter inreplicatability anywhere in the searched distance of time and space. And yet how fortunate that we can have them in abundance here on Earth to expand our minds. What a fortunate planet this is! How sacred!

--------------------
...or something

InvisibleApollyphelion
Dungeon Master/Princess(1009)
Female User Gallery

Loc: Festival of Deaths
Re: Why does everyone act like mushrooms are so sacred? [Re: eve69]
    #7069115 - 06/20/07 09:40 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Both/And > either/or...

What is Sacred to you, Ten_Percenter?

--------------------

"I'm looking at you looking at it"

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL PLEASE! www.youtube.com/apollyphelion

Creator of the World's Worst Comic Book

Offlinetheorganicdomino
Psychedelic ZenBuddhist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Here & Now
    #7069143 - 06/20/07 09:50 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Rather than "sacred" I think "spiritual" is a better word to describe the mushroom experience.

Spiritual is fun, terrifying, hysterically funny, worrying, philosophical.....the list goes on and on and on.

Personally I find the idea of doing mushrooms just for kicks a tad shallow and a little naive. The mushroom experience encompasses so much more than "fun" implies. It's deeper than that.

I'm not saying every trip has to be a ceremony, just some respect for the substance and acceptance of whatever the experience turns out to be.

To deny that the fantastical effect that such a small amount of naturally growing food is something which we can at least call EXTRAORDINARY, or spiritual, or religious, or even "sacred" is a bit daft in my book.

It's a semantic argument really.

How would you describe it?

--------------------
"You've got to get hold of the thread of marching time, pull the fuck thing down, get on the end of it and pang yourself to the infinitude of absolute mind"
Ken Campbell - Furtive Nudist

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced" - Aart van der Leeuw

OfflineFhNiNcUbUs010
Stranger
 User Gallery

#7069257 - 06/20/07 10:44 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

The book Breaking Open The Head by Daniel Pinchbeck is a great one on this subject. :thumbup:

--------------------
Next stop: Schwagstock 43 @ Camp Zoe

Live.Love.Die

OfflineMotorCityMadman
Rubberfan andFunketeer
 User Gallery

Loc: Motown (State of Mind)
    #7069266 - 06/20/07 10:47 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Here's how I think about "sacred".

Last time I was on shrooms, I was shucking some corn. I was thinking about "god" and "religion" and how the religion I was brought up in doesn't seem to match up with reality as I perceive it--I don't believe in ghosts and spirits, etc.

I was looking at the corn and really getting into the sensory experience of schucking it...the smell and feel of the silk, the way every part of the plant exuded life energy.

And I thought: y'know, the ancient mesoamericans had it right: this plant is sacred. Humans always seem to be looking for Beings to worship...lots of times they decide there's something living up in the sky that will take care of them or judge them or whatever. And yet here is this living being right in my hands whose sole purpose is to take care of human beings. If you're looking for a creature who deserves our respect and gratitude, here it is: corn.

That's the way I feel about da shrooms, too.

So when I eat corn, I think "thank you, corn," even though it seems kind of, well, corny. And when I eat the shrooms I am thinking "thank you, shrooms"

If someone else wants to take it a step further and imagine there's a spirit living in the mushrooms, I'm ok with it, as long as they don't get all sanctimonious and say that I have to believe it too. I think *that's* what bugs you, am I right?

OfflineEthericOctopuss
One foot in, onefoot out
Male

Re: Why does everyone act like mushrooms are so sacred? [Re: FhNiNcUbUs010]
    #7069287 - 06/20/07 10:54 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

FhNiNcUbUs010 said:
The book Breaking Open The Head by Daniel Pinchbeck is a great one on this subject. :thumbup:

Yes-very good read.

My view on Mushrooms is that they are a naturally occurring and growing entity that give us the ability to see the world through a different pair of lenses. A world of wonder and amazement, much like when we were a child, experiencing things for the first time. The energy and importance of life and all that surrounds us. It is a beautiful gift IMHO, and that to me constitutes sacredness.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#7069352 - 06/20/07 11:11 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

It's a drug, not a shamanic tool!

...shouts the half century of recreational use against the thousand centuries of spiritual/shamanic use.

Mushrooms are sacred because they open the gates to the innermost mind, which is sacred. If that's not sacred, what is?

Quote:

what's the deal?

The deal is that there is way, way more to mushrooms than you apparently experienced so far. It's not you as the voice of reason amongst great multitudes of people who've gone off their rocker. They, in their own individual way, have had experiences with mushrooms that make them consider them sacred, spiritual, or highly beneficial to personal growth.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Offlinecolimon
DingoDogBoy
Male

#7069375 - 06/20/07 11:21 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

How dare you insult the teachings of my church! Lol! I think all plants and things on earth are pretty awsome. I think magic mushrooms are a wonderful thing, but obviously not holy. They do show me some insights into religeon that I like though...

--------------------
I believe with the advent of acid we discovered new way to think and it had to
do with piecing together new thoughts of mind. Why is it that people think it's
so evil? What is it about it that there is scares people so deeply? Because
they are afraid that there is more to reality than they have ever confronted.
That there are doors that they're afraid to go in and they don't want us to go
in there either because if we go in, there we might learn something that they
don't know. And that makes us a little out of their control.

OfflineBuddyGuy
Stranger

Loc: The Baltic States
Re: Why does everyone act like mushrooms are so sacred? [Re: colimon]
    #7069398 - 06/20/07 11:28 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Food of Gods

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order