Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: nowhere
Re: The bible and War [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #710981 - 06/29/02 11:28 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

is amazing,, I got a friend from nam, a friend from the gulf, they both hated their positions there, one is a reformed chrisitian, the latter is a permanant meth head, but they are my friends, the stories they told. Anyways,, I hate to see people fall into the same trap.

My main point is that "retaliation" against afghanistan is in no way christian,, I hoped this proves to the public in general that bush has another agenda, which is not christian.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
Re: The bible and War [Re: hongomon]
    #712677 - 06/30/02 06:33 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

This is why the classical Gnostics came to believe that it was not the Good and transcendent Father-God of Jesus that created the world, but a lesser God whom they referred to as the Demiurge. Later, the Demiurge was pretty much equated with the Adversary of God - Satan. An entirely different creation account ensued - other than Genesis 1 or 2; and even the ''shining one' - the serpent - came to regarded as salvific. There is a painting of a crucified serpent which equate it with Wisdom and Christ, not with the Devil.

However, the distinction of the Gnostics between God and the Demiurge is an erroneous and false distinction. The Wrathful and Peaceful aspects of Yahweh are not unlike the wrathful and peaceful aspects of God in other theistic traditions such as Hinduism, in which benevolent and bloodthirsty manifestations of God - in both genders - are recognized. The contradiction is only resolved in a state of consciousness that transcends the rational mind, because the problem is insoluable in any amount of rational thought. Opposites find their unification in Oneness. The God of Jesus was the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses and the prophets. Jesus is the Heart of God, so-to-speak, not the Wrath of His Fiery Belly.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Offlinehongomon
old hand
Loc: comin' at ya
Re: The bible and War [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #712897 - 06/30/02 09:45 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks MarkostheGnostic, as always a very interesting post. Have you read "Demian" by Herman Hesse? I recall it suggesting a similar God-Satan unity in the God Abraxas.

"The contradiction is only resolved in a state of consciousness that transcends the rational mind, because the problem is insoluable in any amount of rational thought."

I have approached this, I think. Considering my traditional Christian upbringing, in which a God-Satan unity is unspeakable, it was quite a revelatory moment. I would say I'm something of a pantheist, a post-modern Spinozan, maybe.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
Re: The bible and War [Re: hongomon]
    #713421 - 06/30/02 02:35 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks, yes, Abraxas is the god that Jung wrote about. The post-Jung Jungians, to which I belonged for some years, have attempted to create a new ethic based upon this unification of opposite. There is a book by Erich Neumann, a Jungian, entitled 'Depth Psychology and a New Ethic.' However, inasmuch as Isaiah 45 states that God "creates evil," and "God is light and in Him there is no darkness at all," nevertheless, 'out' of Him, there is quite a 'Shadow!' The Jungians say that the brighter the light, the darker the shadow. So, to the extent that God is good, creative, merciful - Satan is evil, destructive, mercilous. One must remember that Satan is an angel, a creation and not eternal or self-existent like the Zoroastrian or Manichean doctrine of Good and Evil - a personified yin-yang, each equal and opposite. Satan is therefore not an equal and opposite force, like 'The Force' is the modern day myth of Star Wars.

One might also consider that the evolution of the idea of Yahweh, from a kind of localized, 'volcanic' mountain deity, to more universal a Creator, is not the evolution of God, but the evolution of the Hebrew writers, which spanned millennia. Destruction and impermanence of life is the "all life is grass," mentality of the OT writer. Death is inevitable, howsoever cruel and horrible. Peace was a political-social construct for the tribes, not a psychological-spiritual one for the individual. The psychology of the NT is riddled with Greek ideas of immortality blended with Hebrew notions of the Eternal Life of Yahwe. Something interesting came of the hybrid. Still, the problem of evil (more than merely the imperfection of creation, or the absence of goodness), remains, the problem of evil.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order