Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAppalachianGuy
Learning
Male User Gallery
Loc: US
Pressure cooking...
    #7054586 - 06/17/07 12:51 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Ok so I got one, but now, more questions...
How much water or does it matter? I'm just wondering because when it's closed up, you can't see if there's any water still in there... I ask because I kept running out of water when I tried the boiling method. Or does the water stay in when you use a PC?
The pressure is 11.6psi Do I still do it for 45 minutes? Or for an hour? I heard 45 at 15psi. so confusing.
Can I still use to the aluminum foil tops or do I have to use lids? I don't know how a PC works so in my mind, I'm thinking it might suck off the foil. lol
Does it matter if the water touches the jars? I plan to elevate them, but still curious.
And for a PC, do I just want to put the stove on high and leave it at that? Or can the jars get too hot?
Lastly, they say to leave the jars in the pot to col down... Why? I'd like to take them out and let them cool so I can go ahead and start another set.
Thanks again.

--------------------
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." ~ George Carlin

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePrimate
former addict
 User Gallery

Re: Pressure cooking... [Re: AppalachianGuy]
    #7054599 - 06/17/07 12:58 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

At 11.6 PSI i would PC for 100 minutes or so(i PC at 15 PSI for 90 mins.)

Fill your PC about 2.5 inches up on the jars.

Place 2 sheets of foil on top of your jars when you PC them(it keeps excess water away.)

Good luck.

-Prim

--------------------
"Power to the peaceful"

-Micheal Franti and Spearhead

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #7054607 - 06/17/07 01:02 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

And for a PC, do I just want to put the stove on high and leave it at that?

No. That is why your boiling pot ran dry and the same thing will happen to the PC. As SOON as pressure is reached, reduce heat to the minimum setting that will maintain your pressure. If the pressure drops, increase heat, if the weight rattles or excess steam escapes, reduce heat. 1" of water should easily last an hour. I watch my PC closely, and can run two hours or more, on 1" of water.

Use foil on the lids. A PC will drip water from the lid due to condensation, and your jars need to be protected from it.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineAppalachianGuy
Learning
Male User Gallery
Re: Pressure cooking... [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7054803 - 06/17/07 02:03 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

And for a PC, do I just want to put the stove on high and leave it at that?

No. That is why your boiling pot ran dry and the same thing will happen to the PC. As SOON as pressure is reached, reduce heat to the minimum setting that will maintain your pressure. If the pressure drops, increase heat, if the weight rattles or excess steam escapes, reduce heat. 1" of water should easily last an hour. I watch my PC closely, and can run two hours or more, on 1" of water.

Use foil on the lids. A PC will drip water from the lid due to condensation, and your jars need to be protected from it.
RR

Ok, how do I know if I'm maintaining pressure? I'm new to PCs. Instruction book is worth crap for 1st time users. I'm experimenting without jars right now.. I started it on high and it started hissing and the metal thing started rattling. Scared the crap out of me so I turned it down until just a small "smoke" was coming out of the hole, but the pin wasn't making any noise. As far as finding the right pressure, I have no idea how tto tell since there isn't a guage on it.
And maybe if I just start boiling with the lid off and find the right setting for the bubbles coming up, that's the same setting I should cook on with the lid closed?
Thanks.

--------------------
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." ~ George Carlin

OfflineAppalachianGuy
Learning
Male User Gallery
    #7055300 - 06/17/07 03:33 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Know what? Nevermind. I'm getting in an ill mood trying to figure this thing out. One minute, some thing is jiggling with steam. The next minute, steam starts spraying out a different valve and when I turn the heat down, it keeps spraying out and I don't know how long it takes before the damn thing blows up. A minute, and hour... I thought some thing was supposed to pop out but it never does and the other valve is a weight that has 3 lines on it and I don't know if its supposed to pop up or not either. And I have no clue when the thing is running out of water so fuck it! GRRR I'm just gonna wait till today and ask my friend to come over who knows how to cook. I'd be less pissed if I found all my jars contaminated. I HATE cooking!

--------------------

OfflineCaptTrip
Captain
Male User Gallery

#7055404 - 06/17/07 03:50 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

It really isn't that complicated.

You load your jars into the pressure cooker. You add the water. Try to keep your jars as much out of the water was possible. Set them on the rings of other jar lids, or balls of aluminum foil. Make sure you have at least an inch to an inch and a half of water in the bottom of the pressure cooker.

Now, close it all up, make sure the weight is on top, and turn the heat on. The instructions say to turn your stove on high heat, but I always turn it on somewhere between medium and high for the first five minutes or so. That way the jars do not heat too quickly and crack or break. Then I go with high heat.

Either way you decide, whatever...Anyway, once you have your heat on high, allow the pressure to build inside your PC. Most will have a small pin or something that will rise to show you that pressure has built in in the inside.

Even after your pin rises, allow the PC to build pressure on high heat. Now, when the weight on your PC starts to "jiggle" (mine doesn't really jiggle...It starts to whistle almost like a tea kettle, and will start to shoot out steam.), you have reached maximum pressure. This is where you start the timing process. This is also the time you lower your heat setting.

Your goal is to keep the PC pressurized (your pin or gauge showing pressure) and keep your weight "jiggling" (or shooting out a constant flow of steam and having a low whistle if it is like mine). If you turn the heat down too low and any of this changes, then turn the heat back up until you have the optimal settings.

After bumping the heat from high, I usually keep mine a little bit below medium and it keeps things perfect.

--------------------

:mushroomgrow: Cambodian Grow Log :mushroomgrow:

Edited by CaptTrip (06/17/07 03:53 AM)

OfflineAppalachianGuy
Learning
Male User Gallery
Re: Pressure cooking... [Re: CaptTrip]
    #7055483 - 06/17/07 04:18 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, thanks so much for your time on that.
But the problem still remains that...
I get it it on high heat and wait.
The first thing that happens is where I THINK the pin should rise (And I see a pin down in there.) I just hear a jiggling but it never comes up out of the hole.
Then where the weight is (Not the jiggler.), it starts blowing out steam a minute or two later and continues until I either take it off the stove or turn the stove off.
Since nothing pops out and that "saftey" weight is blowing steam, I get nervous and don't feel like wating to see whether or not the jiggler is going to pop out or not. BOOM!
So yeah... I'll just wait for my friend to show me about it. She'll prolly laugh at me.

--------------------

Offlinezer0mancer
Transcendentalist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Painting the Roses Red
    #7055488 - 06/17/07 04:21 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

i'm a bit new to growing, but i PC @ 10 psi for 1 hour. I couldn't afford the 15 psi model. anyway, out of the approximately 3 dozen jars i've colonized, i've never had an infection. (knock on wood!)

--------------------
By saying “I have nothing to hide,” you are saying that it’s OK for the government to infringe on the rights of potentially millions of your fellow Americans, possibly ruining their lives in the process. To me, the “I have nothing to hide” argument basically equates to “I don’t care what happens, so long as it doesn’t happen to me”

-- Comment of BJ Horn to Solove

OfflinePrimate
former addict
 User Gallery

#7055497 - 06/17/07 04:24 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Probably.  :cool:

Each PC is different.  She'll "show you the ropes"; I'm sure.

-Prim

--------------------
"Power to the peaceful"

-Micheal Franti and Spearhead

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation