Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCheesewheel
Stranger
What kind of infection is this? [pics]
    #7054072 - 06/16/07 08:33 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

The first Jar spewed a load of gray powder at me that looked a lot like dust. Smell was the same as a regular inoculated jar, but the gray color was a pretty big give away that something was up.

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/738/img1185bd0.jpg

This second one I've no idea, but it smelled of death.

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/8214/img1186by6.jpg

Both of these jars are very dry as I'm sure you'll notice. These jars are almost a month old, and my first attempt with bird seed. Out of the 6 I got 2 success.

So what type of infection am I looking at here? Fault of poor sterilization of the bird seed, or inoculation errors?

Thanks in advance.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejccc
just aotherhuman
 User Gallery

Re: What kind of infection is this? [pics] [Re: Cheesewheel]
    #7054091 - 06/16/07 08:42 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

The first one cofuses me but the second one is probably slime mold...
If you pressure cooked then your fine in that area
but when you prepared your birdsees did you rinse the seed after the soak>??

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Loc: Figgus, Fiddia
Re: What kind of infection is this? [pics] [Re: jccc]
    #7054120 - 06/16/07 08:50 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Slime mold? Ha?

No, you don't get slime molds in jars. On your lawn, maybe. Maybe once in a billion years someone might see one on a patch of wood-based substrate, I guess. Slime molds aren't a household mold, and in fact aren't a mold at all but a protist. They're fun, though, check out the wiki link above.

Second jar is what we call wet spot. Bacterial infection, usually from too-moist or too-bacterial substrate (the former tends to lead to the latter). This is the most common contaminant there is, in my book, and it does indeed smell like Satan's very own diarrhea. When I get something like this--and usually I throw it out before it gets like this, but as you said the jars are old--it usually is due to an exceptionally moist patch of substrate. Not all contams are the fault of sterilization or inoculation, and in fact bacterial contams are often the fault of substrate conditions, especially moisture.

First jar is probably some kind of mold I don't recognize, or otherwise the dust was just desicated mycelium or something wacky like that. I'm not a big contam expert, so I won't speculate. It's not a healthy jar, though, if it's spraying gray dust at you.

This stuff generally goes in the contamination forum, by the way. You'll get fewer, but better, answers. :smile: And trust me, that's what you want.

--------------------
FGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDS

OfflineCheesewheel
Stranger
    #7054122 - 06/16/07 08:50 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Alright, thanks

Edited by Cheesewheel (06/16/07 08:55 PM)

OfflineDanielVX
Shroomer Dan
Male

#7054130 - 06/16/07 08:52 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I'm going to let you in on a little secret here and now: there are thousands upon thousands of types of molds and contaminants that can inhabit the same conditions used for mushroom growing, two pictures showing color alone is a very meek way of identify any kind of contaminant. Just because a jar has green doesn't mean it's Trichoderma any more than it being Fuligo Septica since the mold is yellow, without more data, you really can't tell - and sometimes it's hard to even with said data. And either way, a contaminant is a contaminant, regardless of the type. Throw out the jars and start anew. Or boil the jars for an hour and a half before dumping them if you have to save the actual jar.

As for where you went wrong, I'm going to guess it was when you licked the needle before injecting it into the jar. What's that you say? You didn't lick the needle? See, I would've known that if you had *told what your procedure was instead of giving absolutely no information and wanting an answer*. Detail goes a long way on the Shroomery.

Anyway, better luck on your next grow!

--------------------
If consequences dictate, the course of action, it doesn't matter what's right, it's only wrong if you get caught. - MJK

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Loc: Figgus, Fiddia
    #7054145 - 06/16/07 08:57 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Also, molds often smell normal... but don't sniff them, dummy. If it's spraying gray shit, it's trash.

Dan: Yeah, I agree in general, but for the most part even people who write up their procedure are going to miss whatever they screwed up.

Best advice: "Improve sterile procedure" or "Test to see if it's your inoculant" for jar 1, and "Experiment to find the right moisture balance" or "Make sure you rinse grains well, and be sure to soak them before simmering to germinate endospores" for jar 2.

--------------------

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What kind of infection is this? [pics] [Re: DanielVX]
    #7054171 - 06/16/07 09:04 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

DanielVX said:

As for where you went wrong, I'm going to guess it was when you licked the needle before injecting it into the jar. 

See , I have to disagree .

Where he went wrong , was not posting this in the Contamination Forum , lol .;)

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony
:heart: Hippie Chick :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Offlinejccc
just aotherhuman
 User Gallery

Re: What kind of infection is this? [pics] [Re: HippieChick]
    #7054193 - 06/16/07 09:09 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I hate this sometimes....ive always thought it was slime mold because i was told one of my jars contained...'slime mold' a long time ago...

Not pointing fingers but im glad i learned its called a wet spot...thanks:thumbup::grin:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #7057602 - 06/17/07 03:51 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I don't click offsite images, especially from imageshack.

However, if it sprayed grey 'powder' those would be mold spores. Toss them.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck