Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOZZ
K.I.S.S.
 User Gallery

A few casing questions......
    #703004 - 06/26/02 02:47 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Well Ive been reading everything I can get my hands on and am a first timer. I have several PF style cakes that are coming along nicely, in a terrarium, fuzzing up and knotting as they should.

I made a casing however and am pretty damn sure its contamed. I used two PF style cakes (EQ) Crumbled them up and put a 1 inch layer of verm on the bottom and about a 2 inch layer of substrate then about a 1/2" layer of verm on the top (ordered coco coir but it didnt show up in time ). I then covered it with saran wrap and placed it in the incubator for about three days I think. Patched the first spots and allowed the rest to catch up.

This is how it looked when I put it in the terrarium.

Its only been about three days but some of the white mycelium is starting to get a greyish tint to it. Also, the mycelium hasnt changed a bit (is it supposed to once in the terrarium?) the RH is at 95% and I have a flourecent overhead for 12 hours a day. Fanning three times a day.

What did I do wrong? Any suggestions for a more successful next attempt? Did I not let the casing colonize enough in the incubator before transferring to the terrarium???

Thanks for any help provided !!

Somehow I managed to muck up the casings for dummies tek !! LOL....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetjc1027
myco-luvr
Re: A few casing questions...... [Re: OZZ]
    #703987 - 06/26/02 08:35 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I have no experience with casings but from what i have read 95% is too high for a casing. the optimum humidity for a casing is around 86%.

tjc1027

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#704297 - 06/26/02 10:07 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

No that casing looks healthy.
The mycelium does not grow in the light, so it wont change too much. The patches may colonize a little more in the dark, which is Ok.

And another no: Keep your humidity HIGH (95%+) during pre-pinning. When pins are present and are growing, then you lower it to about 88%. Keep your humidity high for now!

OfflineOZZ
K.I.S.S.
 User Gallery

Re: A few casing questions...... [Re: angryshroom]
    #704452 - 06/26/02 11:41 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

OK Great and thanks !! I have noticed some of the mycleium taking on a grey coloration though.....which worries me. Pretty sure its contamed but this is my first time so I dont know. The temps are at 78 - 80 deg. and the RH is at 95 - 98%. Fanning three times a day. Anything else I should be doing??

It is prolly contamed wouldnt you think? Heres a pic of how it looks now....

Notice how the mycelium spots are off white or kinda greyish ?? Is this a beginning of contam? Maybe I should be misting the casing layer ?? How does it look to you vets?

Thanks again I really appreciate the input !

OfflineOZZ
K.I.S.S.
 User Gallery

#704454 - 06/26/02 11:45 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Then again I could just be paranoid.....LOL. Ive read that pinning is supposed to occur between 5 - 14 days after being put in the terrarium. Have you vets found this to be true?

I also have been told that a casing should be put in the terrarium when 15 - 20% of the surface is colonized or just a few patches are seen (after patching the intitial spots). Maybe this is overlay ??

Thanks again !

Edited by OZZ (06/26/02 11:47 PM)

Offlineshianggu
Loc: Asia
    #704458 - 06/26/02 11:51 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Gray? I see patches with a greenish look. Maybe it's just the picture or my monitor. If I were you I'd use a bleach solution and spray it. I've seen Hippie's Bleach solution kill the green.

If it is contaminated you should move fast. It spreads quickly.

Good luck!

OfflineOZZ
K.I.S.S.
 User Gallery

Re: A few casing questions...... [Re: shianggu]
    #704465 - 06/27/02 12:01 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Na, theres really not any green or coloration going on, just a greyish look that the once bright white mycelium has now taken on. Has dulled up quite a bit and turned greyish. That last pic does have a colored tint to it which IS NOT true, on that pic I held a florecent light over the top. The first two are accurate though. Hmmmmm

The 100 KB limit sucks ! LOL...those were nice, big resoloution shots....oh well, hopefully they show enough for diagnosis.

Anyone have a second opinion ? I have another casing in the incubator now, Would I be risking it by placing it in the same terrarium as this one ?

Thanks !

Edited by OZZ (06/27/02 12:03 AM)

OfflineLilMerlin
Life magicapprentice
Loc: Europe.
    #704483 - 06/27/02 12:38 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Don't mist the casing layer!!!! I did that and the grey thing got more important yet. This is only mycelium... look at my previous post:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum2&Number=691661&page=4&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum2&Number=682993&page=9&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

I don't spray on mycelium anymore... just in the air above and aside so that humidity be maintained.

LilMerlin. (who so far had no luck for pinning... or is it only patience?!.)

P.s. Although it looks different on my pics, I recognize your greyish mycelium on the beginning stage of my casing.

--------------------
"Five grams in silent darkness." T. McKenna
Why take more? Take different!

Offlineshianggu
Loc: Asia
    #704516 - 06/27/02 01:53 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Cool, good to hear!

Offlinegoolag
Rx

Loc: Stable
    #704530 - 06/27/02 03:08 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Another thing, mycellium will start to turn greyish (similar to cobweb etc) when there isn't enough moisture in the casing layer. But otherwise it looks healthy

--------------------
goolag

[url=http://shroomery.org/faq/]Check out
the Shroomery FAQ
[/url]

OfflineOZZ
K.I.S.S.
 User Gallery

Re: A few casing questions...... [Re: goolag]
    #704570 - 06/27/02 04:17 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Looks Healthy? Really? So you dont think theres anything wrong? Hmmm

Man, I know Im a newbie and this is my first time and all but look at the difference between the very first pic in this thread and the second pic. The first pic the mycelium is a nice bright, vibrant white, the second its a dull dark grey. There HAS to be SOMETHING wrong dont you think ????

Maybe not, maybe Im just paranoid....but if mycelium takes on a greyish look similar to cobweb when there isnt enough moisture in the casing layer than I SHOULD mist the casing layer gradually to bring up moisture dont you think? Or NO?

I hate to just sit and look at it if it needs misted, but likewise I hate to mist if I shouldnt...What to do, what to do !!?!?!?! LOL .... thanks for helping the paranoid newbie out guys !!!

So what do you think......To mist, or not to mist ???

Edited by OZZ (06/27/02 04:19 AM)

Offlinegoolag
Rx

Re: A few casing questions...... [Re: LilMerlin]
    #704605 - 06/27/02 04:53 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

>>Don't mist the casing layer!!!! <<
That is un-true. Misting does NOT hurt anything at all. Just dont mist the pins. Heavy misting can hurt it but a few light sprays will NOT. If mycellium is growing too fast ..mist it to keep it back. Anno knows this perfectly well and so do I.

>>If I were you I'd use a bleach solution and spray it..<<
We are jumping to conclusions a little too fast here. This is the main reason why people fail. Let the damn thing be.

The second pics do look a little odd (green tint) but I think/hope its just the photos. If there is green toss it..dont try to fix it..all that is going to do is make the shit spread and fuck with future grows. And most likely it will come back because not only does the green mold live ontop..it also lives down deep into the substrate if its there.

I'd give it a day or 2 before misting just to see what develops. If its green you'll know by tomorrow.

--------------------
goolag

the Shroomery FAQ
[/url]

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#704787 - 06/27/02 06:54 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I agree with Goolag, your casing is just maybe a little too dry or wet. Since your saying that you're not misting, its prolly too dry.

When you mist, make sure you are misting upwards, and doing it a good 1-2 feet above the casing. Direct misting will bat down the mycelium.

I noticed that the mycelium has actualy receeded from the first pic, which sorta worries me. This could just be caused by an overly dry casing however. A contam could do this, but you would see it starting soon anyways.

Dont give up, Im thinking its healty as can be, except you need to start misting. Casings will need to be misted at least once every day or two. A very light misting, is all that is needed.

Good luck, keep us updated!

OfflineLilMerlin
Life magicapprentice
Loc: Europe.
    #704800 - 06/27/02 06:58 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Really, I'm a newbie. I just don't do it anymore... I'm trying something else... listen to more advanced people: spray!!!

I'm trying one method, you try the other one... Does it really matter. Try it on one casing and not on another... that might be a good solution too.

sorry for the non-spraying injunction... that was not meant as a big DON'T. Just that with my more protective method, the minute drops fall off very quietly on my casing. I never direct my spray toward a casing... that's all.

LilMerlin, sterilizing coco-choir at the moment.

--------------------
"Five grams in silent darkness." T. McKenna
Why take more? Take different!

Offlinegoolag
Rx

Re: A few casing questions...... [Re: angryshroom]
    #704843 - 06/27/02 07:15 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I also noticed the mycellium has receeded a bit. As far as I can see, it's not a contam. Give it a few light mists upwards and check back in a day or so. If the mycellium has grown/whitened up then your problem was most likely a dry casing. Especially using vermiculite. It's hard to tell whether or not it's dry/wet. Start out small..dont over mist! And like angryshroom says..DONT GIVE UP! You'll only learn from your mistakes etc.

LilMerlin - I was just correcting you Everyone on here was a newbie at one time or another.

--------------------
goolag

the Shroomery FAQ
[/url]

OfflineOZZ
K.I.S.S.
 User Gallery

Re: A few casing questions...... [Re: goolag]
    #705461 - 06/27/02 11:18 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Guys, I appreciate it !!!

Seriously, I was at a loss as to what the hell I did wrong and thinking of sticking to only cakes. But I have another casing as I mentioned and have moved it to the terrarium a bit sooner to avoid overlay, and have misted it lightly as you explained to prevent it from gettting to wet.

I also misted the casing in question and will do so again tonight (VERY lightly) and for the next few days or so once a day. Thanks again and I will definately keep you all updated !!

ON the up side my cakes are doing GREAT, fuzzing up nicely and getting large spots of fuzzy "knobs" Hopefully Ill see some pins soon. Heres a pic Im proud to post !! LOL.....thanks again !

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck