Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshianggu
Loc: Asia
Reading up on temperatures.
    #704422 - 06/26/02 11:10 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I was going through the FAQ and read the "Casings for Dummies" page, http://www.mycotopia.net/teks/hongus.html.

It says "The temperature for casings should fluctuate between 75?F (23?C) to 88?F (31?C) for optimal conditions." Does it need to fluctuate and isn't 31 degrees too high?

It seems that everyone always talks about a 23-25 degree window. I also remember reading somewhere that higher temperatures will result in smaller fruit. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on this?

Thank you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLilMerlin
Life magicapprentice
Loc: Europe.
Re: Reading up on temperatures. [Re: shianggu]
    #704506 - 06/27/02 01:30 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

This is a post I read this morning on the Lycaeum:

" SWIM also built a "rich-mans" terrarium with an ultrasonic humidifier but he/she found that even with a quality timer and the humidifier on its lowest setting it STILL over humidified BOTH of SWIM's grow chambers (which happen to be HUGE rubbermade storage bins). SWIM tells me that he/she still hand sprays and that the fruiting cakes seem to really like changes in humidity and temperature. SWIM has done several experiments with humidity and temperature and has found that cakes that are kept in total limbo (little or no humidity/temperature changes) tend to fruit smaller and less frequently. The conclusion that SWIM came to is that mycelium/mushroom colonies thrive in nature where the weather rarely stays the same for very long. Treat your cakes like anything else living ... try and mimic it's natural environment as much as possible. Throw an ice pack in the grow-chamber every once in a while ... let the humidity drop 10-15% ... let the temperature climb to 85-90 degrees occasionally ... leave the light off for a few days ... mix it up! Unlike chemicals, where in order to be manufactured everything must be perfect, mushrooms are living organisms that have had to adapt for a very VERY long time. They're tougher than many people give them credit for. Later! "
Author: Cyql

Here's the reference: http://forums.lycaeum.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=14&t=000278

LilMerlin.

--------------------
"Five grams in silent darkness." T. McKenna
Why take more? Take different!

Offlineshianggu
Loc: Asia
Re: Reading up on temperatures. [Re: LilMerlin]
    #704522 - 06/27/02 02:00 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Now that I've read your post and I think of my own experience it kind of seems true. Or maybe just co-incidence. My previous casings did pretty well on their first flush and that was while I was getting my terrarium together. My temperature and humidity did fluctuate somewhat. Now that things have become stabilized my flushes seem smaller (on my new casings).

I'll try and mix things up and see how it turns out.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order