Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Size growth stops, veils open prematurely [Re: Mycodood]
    #7042744 - 06/13/07 04:14 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

You don't want a blue LED. You also want full spectrum lights. You want 99% humidity, and plenty of fresh air. Telling us the humidifier cycle doesn't mean anything. What does your hygrometer read?

'Inoculation' is the process of introducing spores to your substrate. 'Colonization' is the phase where the mushroom mycelium is working its way through the substrate, 'colonizing' it. 'Fruiting' is the stage you're at now.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemagicoox
Stranger
Re: Size growth stops, veils open prematurely [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7044146 - 06/13/07 10:47 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

RogerRabbit: There is clearly directional growth towards the blue LED's, which I chose as a light source because they do not heat up the fruiting chamber. For private reasons I need to use an artificial light in a confined space, and other options (incadescent, fluorescent fixtures) produce too much heat. Why would there be any requirement for other spectral wavelengths? Unfortunately I don't have a hygrometer. There are water droplets forming on the walls of the fruiting chamber, except for the rear wall which is probably dried by passive air flow between two openings, one at the bottom and one at the top for the fresh air / mist inlet. Thanks for the vocabulary.

Edited by magicoox (06/13/07 10:56 PM)

Offlinemagicoox
Stranger
Re: Size growth stops, veils open prematurely [Re: magicoox]
    #7046675 - 06/14/07 03:48 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

OK, I filled the bottom of the fruiting chamber with a 5 cm layer of washed and still wet LECA (Light Expanded Clay Aggregate) and 1 cm of water at the bottom, and just sat the naked cakes on top. I didn't have time to pick the aborts yet, but will do it very soon.

InvisibleMankey
Male

#7049213 - 06/15/07 11:28 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

....and the nipples just happen. Some of mine get em and some don't.

Offlinemagicoox
Stranger
Re: Size growth stops, veils open prematurely [Re: Mankey]
    #7094659 - 06/26/07 12:33 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Great news! I now have two fully grown mushrooms, which did not abort. So the problem was some combination of dryness of substrate, mist deposition on the pins and too little fresh air exchange.

I removed the humidifier completely and let the water from the LECA do the humidification. So it is basicly the perlite technique using LECA. The growing chamber is fanned for one minute every 5 minutes. I also got myself a hygrometer, which reads 85%-90% at the top of the chamber. The figure is higher closer to LECA.

Thanks for all the replies, they were really helpful.

OfflineNeurotech
Stranger

#27238867 - 03/05/21 02:28 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

The grow I am in the middle of has some similarities and has been crazy. I inoculated grain with MS KSSS and it went very well. When I transferred it to the tub, I accidentally used an older bag of grain. The first flush produced tiny, and I mean tiny shrooms and not a whole lot. No matter how much I misted, it always seemed too dry. So with all the misting, the caps were getting wet. Many ended up looking translucent. After the flush, I dunked the cake in cold water for 22 hours.  I also accidentally added about 6 ounces of water to the cake in the tub when the mister top fell off, resulting in a half inch of water on the bottom around the edges of the cake. Since then, about three weeks now, it has been a relatively continous flush. Not producing a lot, but I have been getting 1-3 wet grams a day of small shrooms, with some bigger, like 3 inches.

I know KSSS sometimes produces smaller on the first flush. But I am pretty sure my problems were related mostly to dryness.Once this grow went weird I wasn't as careful as I usually am, but I have heard that KSSS are very resistant to contams and man that must be true!

Since this grow was weird, I also cut about two inches of the ends of the cake and two inches out of the middle. (I wanted those chunks for a different experiment.) This let the side pins grow better and provided more surface area. I spawned this to the tub on 1/29 and treated it roughly, but no contams at all.

I did a 1 dry gram test of the first flush and it was a bit more potent than anticipated. I have a total now of 12  grams dry and it has slowed down considerably, so I am going to dunk again and see what happens.

OfflineNeurotech
Stranger

Re: Size growth stops, veils open prematurely [Re: Neurotech]
    #27246865 - 03/10/21 03:00 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

UPDATE

This tub continues to produce a few shrooms a day.

I dunked it the other day and the already-cut up cake broke some more. I found trich on the bottom of the cake and removed it. Back in fruiting conditions and last night I told my wife it was done and would be in the compost tomorrow. Lo and behold more little shrooms out of this crazy tub.

Above I mentioned, "Since this grow was weird, I also cut about two inches of the ends of the cake and two inches out of the middle. (I wanted those chunks for a different experiment.) "

That experiment was taking the ends I cut off the cake and mixing it with 2.5 lbs of a 5 grain mix. I put that smaller tub in the closet, not really expecting anything to happen. (neglect tek - no misting, no temp control, no light) When I dunked the other tub two days ago I checked and sure enough - nothing. I poured some water in and reminded myself to check it in a couple of days to make sure I wasn't growing a mold jungle. I take it out today and find these skinny but taller shrooms and what seems to be a developing pinset!! I didn't think a tub of not fully colonized grain could produce fruits like that.

I think the main factor that allowed this to happen and to make the messed up tub produce at all is the hardiness and contam resistance of the KSSS MS I started with.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract