Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblelsg1
lsg1
 User Gallery

Loc: shoulders of giants
Re: Wouldn't the best time to harvest mushrooms be right before cellular expansion really picks up? [Re: HippieChick]
    #7034628 - 06/11/07 06:20 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

What is the easiest way to differentiate a pin (that has all of its cells) from a primordium (that presumably doesn't have all of its cells)?

--------------------
I'm interested in Kombucha cultivation!  Send me a kombucha baby, and I'll send you the cost of shipping.  I promise to give away at least 5 babies for every baby I receive this way. :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
Re: Wouldn't the best time to harvest mushrooms be right before cellular expansion really picks up? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7034665 - 06/11/07 06:33 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Defense mechanism?  If so, it's a piss poor one.  It's the reason tens of thousands of people search high and low for them, and then grow them at home.  Survival mechanism makes more sense, but why argue?  It's like arguing over why green beans have iron, or citrus fruits have vitamin C.
RR

it really is fun watching people go back and forth with the mods in the cult. forum, who have obviously got a few more notches in the cane than most of us do. whats even funnier, is when you repeat your previous answer, and they come back with a different question that will get them the same exact answer :smile:

--------------------

Offlinejuggalacious12
Inconspicuouswhite chick
Male

Loc: Oregon
Re: Wouldn't the best time to harvest mushrooms be right before cellular expansion really picks up? *DELETED* [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #7038918 - 06/12/07 05:49 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by juggalacious12

Reason for deletion: not very nice.

OfflineCaptainLinger
A Fungus Amongus

Re: Wouldn't the best time to harvest mushrooms be right before cellular expansion really picks up? [Re: juggalacious12]
    #7038936 - 06/12/07 05:54 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Jesus there, champ, who pissed in your cornflakes?

I mean sorry, but ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer. Requesting that people not laugh when you ask for advice and then don't respect it really isn't a winning strategy.

Offlinejuggalacious12
Inconspicuouswhite chick
Male

Re: Wouldn't the best time to harvest mushrooms be right before cellular expansion really picks up? [Re: CaptainLinger]
    #7038989 - 06/12/07 06:14 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Project Sossch failed horribly and now I don't think that I have anyone on earth to share myself with. I am despirately alone and don't have the self esteem to keep from freaking out on assholes anymore.

I couldn't think of how to word my question in only two or three words to look more intensely on the search. Since my question was legitimate I would expect that people not disregard my polite request to stay civil. I respect entirely the answer to my question that I got, RR answered it and many who read this thread learned from it so it wasn't just me that was thinking along these lines, I just came up with a different way of thinking of it and needed to know how it happened. It was his smart assed comment about the feudality of trying to figure out why psilocybin came to be. If it were, then Darwin wouldn't be a household name and he wouldn't be taught in almost all schools around America. People like lefty are the ones that keep society and conscience from advancing because they only believe that what they see as relevant is important. Some things are nice to know just because, like your mothers name. Would she not still answer to just mother, even if you didn't know her background?

Edited by juggalacious12 (06/12/07 06:21 PM)

Offlinejuggalacious12
Inconspicuouswhite chick
Male

Re: Wouldn't the best time to harvest mushrooms be right before cellular expansion really picks up? [Re: juggalacious12]
    #7039010 - 06/12/07 06:19 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Concerning the part where I called shrooms plants, that was a mistake that I thought that I corrected. The many years of being fed ignorance has made it second nature to call them so even though they are decomposers and not producers.

Don't they have some kind of transportation system? That is what I meant by circulatory system.

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Loc: Figgus, Fiddia
Re: Wouldn't the best time to harvest mushrooms be right before cellular expansion really picks up? [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #7039074 - 06/12/07 06:43 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

leftysurprise said:
Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Defense mechanism?  If so, it's a piss poor one.  It's the reason tens of thousands of people search high and low for them, and then grow them at home.  Survival mechanism makes more sense, but why argue?  It's like arguing over why green beans have iron, or citrus fruits have vitamin C.
RR

it really is fun watching people go back and forth with the mods in the cult. forum, who have obviously got a few more notches in the cane than most of us do. whats even funnier, is when you repeat your previous answer, and they come back with a different question that will get them the same exact answer :smile:

Three grams of dried pins WILL knock your socks off ten times as hard as three grams of full mushroom--but a full mushroom is more than ten times as big as a pin, if you get what I'm saying. There IS more potency to small shrooms, but it is not proportional to size. That's why people even bother to grow their shrooms!

I won't argue with RR on matters of technique, because in that he is perhaps the most experienced person I have ever met. In matters of theory, I don't think he's as inquisitive as some people--that's not an insult, it's just evidenced by the fact that his replies to theoretical questions tend to say "Why does that matter?". I am inclined to think that people who say, "Don't argue with a mod" don't understand the nature of scientific curiosity either (or any other kind of inquisitiveness).

For one, I think "why green beans have iron, or citrus fruits have vitamin C" is a pretty interesting question. It's not my forte, though--but the type of question is interesting. That's why I, and people like me, continue to theorize about the evolutionary nature of the actives in mushrooms.

I don't see why people have to take questioning any theory as a sign of disrespect.

--------------------
FGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDS

Edited by figgusfiddus (06/12/07 07:08 PM)

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

#7039086 - 06/12/07 06:47 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

RR, question specifically for you if you don't mind--are you sure that a pin has ALL the cells that will comprise the final mushroom? In other words, no cell division occurs after pinning? And are you saying that it contains the precise same amount of psilocybin as the final product? I am not sure from what you said that you are making either statement, which is what I'm trying to clarify now. I guess I could believe the former, though it would be absolutely wild, but I think we can all admit that a pin contains less psilocybin than the final fruiting body, even though it contains a proportionally much higher quantity.

EDIT: Okay, I think I see now. You do seem to be saying both.

Look, I will accept that statement #1 is scientifically possible. #2 is not, according to any of my observations, even remotely considerable. Otherwise, taking a single gram of pins would send you absolutely bonkers. By dry weight, a small pin could be 1/50 the mass of a full mushroom, meaning that a gram of pins picked very early could be the equivalent of 50 10g (wet weight) mushrooms. Replace that number with only 20, and you are still looking at an insane disproportionality.

I have to suggest that there is SOME difference, probably a big difference, between the mg-by-mg psilocybin content of a whole mushroom and that of a pin, almost certainly due to the fact that a growing fruit body may not be dividing its cells, but those cells are still biologically active in the synthesis of actives from substrate materials. There is no rule, after all, saying that mushrooms create all their psilocybin before they fruit--in fact, I suspect the opposite, considering that non-fruiting mycelium has almost no actives. Psilocbyin production seems inexorably tied to the fruiting process. I can't see any other explanation. Picking early may still produce a more POTENT mushroom--by proportion to its weight--but it yields less overall psilocybin. There is some point at which synthesis has slowed to a halt, surely--that would be the ideal picking stage. I suspect that is more or less when the veil begins to break.

--------------------

Edited by figgusfiddus (06/12/07 07:22 PM)

Invisible1Badfish
 User Gallery

Re: Wouldn't the best time to harvest mushrooms be right before cellular expansion really picks up? [Re: figgusfiddus]
    #7039235 - 06/12/07 07:27 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Very well worded posts figgusfiddus, this should finally clarify the whole pin to mature fruit thing for me  :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

#7039240 - 06/12/07 07:28 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

juggalacious12 said:
Leftysurprise: If you think that such history is unimportant then I think you have some prioritizing to do. And also, FUCK You! I hope that your children turn gay and you disown them, then one dies and you don't even care that you have chosen to miss all of that love and bonding that you could have shared all because you are such a jackass. This all, of course, is just a metaphor for how your ignorance will fuck you over some how. At least I'm trying to be inquisitive.
(For stupid fucks that don't know why I'm angry, I specifically asked for no smartass comments, so this horrible conscience had to think of the most sarcastic, patronistic, annoying thing to say, and to that I hope that his wife kills their kids because Lefty got upset over her having an affair with his brother. Thanks for wasting a perfectly good posting spot with your trash too. Since this is my thread, under the benevolant generocity of the shroomery and associates,I will choose to do so as I see fit.)

ohhhhhhh so this is what you had your panties in a wad about in that PM you sent me..... well i still dont understand what your fucking problem is...... in your message i thought you were upset because of my signature, but now i find that its over this post?? i really dont know what to say to this other that what the fuck?

my post wasnt even aimed at you for christs sake.... it was aimed at the other people who asked the same question you did.......

and lets be honest here, even if my slightly humorous post was aimed at you, was it really worth the 4 huge paragraphs of insults and death wishes??

--------------------

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Re: Wouldn't the best time to harvest mushrooms be right before cellular expansion really picks up? [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #7039278 - 06/12/07 07:41 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Both of you stop it, or I'm turning this car right around.

--------------------

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Re: Wouldn't the best time to harvest mushrooms be right before cellular expansion really picks up? [Re: figgusfiddus]
    #7039307 - 06/12/07 07:48 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

figgusfiddus said:
Quote:

leftysurprise said:
Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
RR

Three grams of dried pins WILL knock your socks off ten times as hard as three grams of full mushroom--but a full mushroom is more than ten times as big as a pin, if you get what I'm saying. There IS more potency to small shrooms, but it is not proportional to size. That's why people even bother to grow their shrooms!

I won't argue with RR on matters of technique, because in that he is perhaps the most experienced person I have ever met. In matters of theory, I don't think he's as inquisitive as some people--that's not an insult, it's just evidenced by the fact that his replies to theoretical questions tend to say "Why does that matter?". I am inclined to think that people who say, "Don't argue with a mod" don't understand the nature of scientific curiosity either (or any other kind of inquisitiveness).

For one, I think "why green beans have iron, or citrus fruits have vitamin C" is a pretty interesting question. It's not my forte, though--but the type of question is interesting. That's why I, and people like me, continue to theorize about the evolutionary nature of the actives in mushrooms.

I don't see why people have to take questioning any theory as a sign of disrespect.

alright, i did NOT say that arguing with a mod is disrespectful, or not warranted, or not needed, i said nothing of the sort. my reply was due to juggalicious asking a question, RR giving an answer, then two more people made a comment which went against what RR previously stated twice.

i was merely commenting on the fact that i find it humorous that so many people over the years argue with mods about things that are unanimous within the mushroom veteran community on this page. thats all. no offense was aimed at any person. i made a comment to RR and that is all.

fuck, people are so uptight nowadays.

--------------------

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Loc: Organ
Re: Wouldn't the best time to harvest mushrooms be right before cellular expansion really picks up? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7039311 - 06/12/07 07:48 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Pick your next flush at the pin stage, and eat them.  You'll see what I mean. :wink:
RR

i ate 4 grams of aborts from my Ecuador grow and grilled pretty hard.  my whole body had like a 4 hour orgasm or something...  but then, about a month later, i ate 5 grams of my ecuador that were picked when somewhat small and i still grilled pretty hard but not nearly as hard as the abort trip.

im gonna stick with waiting until the biggest one completely opens and then pick them all, rather than picking aborts.

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

#7039316 - 06/12/07 07:50 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

figgusfiddus said:
Both of you stop it, or I'm turning this car right around.

*kicks back of seat* BUT HE STARTED IT!!!!:rofl2:

--------------------

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Re: Wouldn't the best time to harvest mushrooms be right before cellular expansion really picks up? [Re: LayYouIn]
    #7039328 - 06/12/07 07:53 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

LayYouIn said:
Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Pick your next flush at the pin stage, and eat them.  You'll see what I mean. :wink:
RR

i ate 4 grams of aborts from my Ecuador grow and grilled pretty hard.  my whole body had like a 4 hour orgasm or something...  but then, about a month later, i ate 5 grams of my ecuador that were picked when somewhat small and i still grilled pretty hard but not nearly as hard as the abort trip.

im gonna stick with waiting until the biggest one completely opens and then pick them all, rather than picking aborts.

Okay, but skip the aborts. Say it's healthy pins.

Now, do you honestly think 4g of pins will make you trip as hard as 40g of shrooms? The 40g those pins would have become, that is--becuase 4g of pins is a lot of pins. Talking dry weight. Sorry, I think I've had too much coffee, I'm going to let this thread chill for a while.

--------------------

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Loc: Organ
    #7039394 - 06/12/07 08:09 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

figgusfiddus said:
Quote:

LayYouIn said:
Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
RR

Okay, but skip the aborts. Say it's healthy pins.

Now, do you honestly think 4g of pins will make you trip as hard as 40g of shrooms? The 40g those pins would have become, that is--because 4g of pins is a lot of pins. Talking dry weight. Sorry, I think I've had too much coffee, I'm going to let this thread chill for a while.

it was actually 4 grams of aborts and small pins...i should have said that.  i made a post on it before eating them and people said that 4 grams of aborts/pins would = about 5 grams of regular shrooms.  i think it was probley more like 6 grams or so, but i've never done more than 5 and that 4 grams trip was the hardest i've ever tripped...:shrug:

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Re: Wouldn't the best time to harvest mushrooms be right before cellular expansion really picks up? [Re: LayYouIn]
    #7039427 - 06/12/07 08:19 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Okay, I lied, here I am. AND I have more coffee.

I agree, I think 4g of pins could potentially have even the potency of 6-8g of shrooms. I don't think there's any way in the world it's more than that, though.

Also, lefty, sorry if I seemed bitchy in that post--I probably got confused as to which part of your reply was intended for whom. Plus, my messages always seem frantic and bitchy because they tend to be three times longer than they need to be. See above about the coffee, haha.

--------------------

Edited by figgusfiddus (06/12/07 08:28 PM)

Invisiblearchivist
5-HT
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #7039532 - 06/12/07 08:56 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I'm interested in the answer as well.  Assuming equal absolute potency (e.g. 1 gram of pins contains 100% of the active psychoactives as it's fully grown mushrooms), what's the benefit to growing full sized mushrooms, besides having more "weight for sale" and of course being able to study and witness the entire growth cycle? :smile:

--------------------

Proud supporter of the canning jar industry.

OfflineCaptainLinger
A Fungus Amongus

#7039569 - 06/12/07 09:07 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

off-topic (to match the theme of the evening)...

figgus you're on a rampage!

Think I'll make some coffee myself!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom