Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineundergrounder
fluffy bunny
 User Gallery

Loc: Sydney Flag
All Hail the Mighty Sub.
    #7037066 - 06/12/07 09:59 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I'm more pleased my macro worked for once more than anything else. I just thought i should share this pic, it just looks so.... :crazy2:  :imslow:

All the subs i've found look the same as well... no matter how big or old they are, its like they refuse to flatted out.

--------------------
:igor: RIP :igor:

Bigger and bolder and rougher and tougher in other words sucka there is no other...
:pinkshroom: :supershroom: :mushroom2: :shroomer: :mushroom2: :supershroom: :pinkshroom:

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offline_OttO_
Over Stimulated
 User Gallery

Loc: Up Over
Re: All Hail the Mighty Sub. [Re: undergrounder]
    #7037099 - 06/12/07 10:18 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Thats a feckin awesome photo!!!!!! Pic of the month... :smile: :thumbup:

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #7037205 - 06/12/07 11:21 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Can definitely tell how the Weraroa pouch fungus and Ps. subaeruginosa may share some common lineage.  Cool photo.  :smile:

--------------------

OfflineBread
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: All Hail the Mighty Sub. [Re: CureCat]
    #7040776 - 06/13/07 06:09 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Hell yeah.... Awesome photo. What kinda camera you got?

Offlineundergrounder
fluffy bunny
 User Gallery

Re: All Hail the Mighty Sub. [Re: Bread]
    #7040783 - 06/13/07 06:22 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Its a Kodak Easyshare Z740... I have a better camera that is broken atm but this little guy takes great macro shots during the day.

I'm still a little weirded out by the refusal of these mushrooms to open up and flatten out like subs should. The prints came out purple turning black in a deep print and everything adds up for a sub. ID but the shape is strange... Parabolic even.

The larger ones in this photo is about 6cm tall and should be flat. The big specimen is even turning wavy while it's parabolic...

If it weren't for that azure blueing i would never even figured them for psilocybes.

--------------------

Bigger and bolder and rougher and tougher in other words sucka there is no other...
:pinkshroom: :supershroom: :mushroom2: :shroomer: :mushroom2: :supershroom: :pinkshroom:

OfflineBread
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #7040791 - 06/13/07 06:29 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Would you agree with me that they are similar to these:

?

I found those last year, outer Eastern Melbourne suburbs. Yours remind me of them in that they have a different shape to most of the subs I find. But lke you say, they bruise blue and everythign else matches up.......?

Offlineundergrounder
fluffy bunny
 User Gallery

#7040796 - 06/13/07 06:38 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Ummm slightly, although yours have a definite nipple and look fairly young, mine are also coloured differently. The younger specimens from my patch (like the feature pic) grow out like a bulb or a ball, whereas yours adopt that nipple 'spaceship' look pretty early, the youngest caps are even triangular.

You can't see them in the above pic but the stem disappears right up inside those caps as if they're very parabolic. For the largest one seen here, the stem is free right up to the top, like a bell.

--------------------

OfflineBread
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #7040802 - 06/13/07 06:42 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

That last one is a great photo to show what you're talking about. And yeah, not quite what I had. Very cool!

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
    #7040817 - 06/13/07 06:57 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Those are definitley a pretty funky variation undergrounder. It's crazy how many shapes subs can come in. Though it'd be interesting for someone to get those under a scope to double check. They do look like subs though, just some crazy bulbous kind.

OfflineUberDeepName
Zang!
Male

Loc: do not write in this spac...
Re: All Hail the Mighty Sub. [Re: zee_werp]
    #7041748 - 06/13/07 02:10 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

zee_werp said:
Those are definitley a pretty funky variation undergrounder. It's crazy how many shapes subs can come in. Though it'd be interesting for someone to get those under a scope to double check. They do look like subs though, just some crazy bulbous kind.

I'd be glad to examine those under a scope for undergrounder. Just send about 5 grams of them to me. Anything for a fellow shroomery friend!!! :wink:Although I cannot guarantee their safe return.

--------------------
"Call on God, but row away from the rocks"- Hunter S. Thompson

Offlineundergrounder
fluffy bunny
 User Gallery

#7044712 - 06/14/07 04:21 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

zee_werp said:

They resemble Inski's Finds picked up in NZ a while back, although these look even more mature, 'eucalypta' was mentioned as a possibility.

If the pins i left grow up to be the same i'm happy to send a sample to anyone that really would be able to check it out (in Aus).

... I can 'test out 5 grams' myself thankyou very much :crazy2:

--------------------

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
    #7044747 - 06/14/07 04:52 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I'm pretty sure that P. eucalypta has been found to be the same as P. subaeruginosa.

Invisiblejeverden
Mushroom Hunter
Male User Gallery

#7047699 - 06/14/07 10:50 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

See if workman is interested that looks like a very weird variation. I don't think it is a new species although maybe just an odd batch but then again the shape is really odd. Did you consume them yet?

--------------------
All of my posts are purely fictional and for hypothetical purposes.

OfflineWorkmanV
Psilocybe Microscopist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington, USA
Trusted Identifier
Re: All Hail the Mighty Sub. [Re: CureCat]
    #7056663 - 06/17/07 01:42 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

CureCat said:
Can definitely tell how the Weraroa pouch fungus and Ps. subaeruginosa may share some common lineage.  Cool photo.  :smile:

It does look like a transitional form between the weraroa and subaeruginosa.  This inability to open up fully seems to be a fairly common trait (mutation) in some species of Psilocybe such as Psilocybe semilanceata.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: All Hail the Mighty Sub. [Re: Workman]
    #7057515 - 06/17/07 05:33 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I wounder if the trait is an adaptation to protect the gills from from drying out?

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: All Hail the Mighty Sub. [Re: shroomydan]
    #7057568 - 06/17/07 05:42 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

remember that it's just as likely that it's a random development which simply had insufficient impact on the propogation to cause the trait to die out.

why is is that speculative evolutionary development is almost universaly written of as an intelligent or deliberate response?

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Re: All Hail the Mighty Sub. [Re: canid]
    #7057919 - 06/17/07 07:09 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Given enough time, adaptations make it and non-adaptations do not.

Our limited data of the past few years is insignificant compared time it takes to complete an evolution in natural kinds, so it's hard to say if a trait is an adaptation, or a has-been moving toward extinction. I guess I'm just an optimist about evolution making good things.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: All Hail the Mighty Sub. [Re: shroomydan]
    #7057953 - 06/17/07 07:23 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

evolution makes good things; hell, all living things in my book, but how long something survives in one intact form is arbitrary.

to use a cultural example, a measure of a people or group's success could be it's ability to controll it's settings and build culture from it's own terms, but an equall measure of success could be a culture's lack of any great need to.

a culture may remain 'primitive', not out of inability to advance, but a successful exploitation of it's own circumstance.
for an animal eample, look at bony fish such as catfish, or at the order Crocodylidae. they havec existed, little changed through geological epochs. they adapt to thier circumstances-readily-and yet seem [the surviving lineages] always to remain fairly classic in form, mode of life, etc. they seem to be vastly a success story of elastic flexion rather than taking a crease, so to speak. it seems to work both ways.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Re: All Hail the Mighty Sub. [Re: canid]
    #7058026 - 06/17/07 07:41 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

It's interesting that you mention boney fish. The bones of fish are thought to have emerged from an inability of boneless fish to deal with excessive calcium. Some invertebrates developed biological pathways to store excess calcium, and these waist dumps became bones and shells.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification