Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinejuggalacious12
Inconspicuouswhite chick
Male

Loc: Oregon
Wouldn't the best time to harvest mushrooms be right before cellular expansion really picks up?
    #7030231 - 06/10/07 04:05 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

If this question has already been asked, I didn't know how to word it right when I did a search.

..I know that the general best time to harvest is right when the veil begins to tear.. This may just be my guess as to why and may also explain why aborts are stronger.

Since the latter part of mushroom growth is due largely to cellular expansion, and not devision one can assume that the substance causing this expansion is mostly water based. (Not knowing if psilocybin is located in the cell or outside, this whole idea has a MAJOR gap) Based on the theory that it is inside each cell (Which I doubt) proportionately one gram of young material would be stronger because the extra mass of an older organism would just have been water and cytoplasm and stuff.

Believing that psilocybin is more of a defense mechanism I would think that it is more likely that it is located outside the cell, having no cellular purpose. This would mostly disprove my whole thread, but can we mostly agree that younger mushrooms are proportionately stronger than more mature ones.

Applying the inside the cell theory, this would explain why aborts are more potent. As the mushroom developes cells replicate and expand. Eventually something causes the pin to die and to keep it from becoming an area for contamination, the creature begins reverting it back into vegetative mycelium adding cellular bulk to accomodate the material that is starting to die and must be recessitated.
If the cellular theory has any validity, the increase of cells with their psilocybin taking over the dying body part would have more psychoactive material, perportionately, than a mushroom that is expanding rather than vegetating.

All of this of course pretty well goes against the belief that mycelium is weaker in potency than a mushroom, but how can you really tell? It is very hard to get pure mycelium since lc is so crappy for this and just as much I'm sure that being in the fruiting stage would cause hormonal changes. If these alkaloids are for protection, then I would most cetainly want a higher concentration as I am trying to spread my seed.

If I'm right about some of that, then picking your mushrooms earlier, though smaller, is still at least just as potent and greatly increases the longevity of your cake because a developing mushroom has a LOT of water, as you all know.

Think of that a mushroom is mostly poofy when its veil just breaks, then it quickly expands with that really watery tissue.

Do you people think that young or more mature mushies are more potent?

(If you disagree, please don't be a smartass, just say you do not concur.)

--------------------
It's kinda like the "rooms" made from drawing a star, where you are in the middle and have access to all of the other rooms simultaniously. Ya know?

Also, I guess that I feel it apropriate to note that all statements of mine are either hypathetical, invalid, or otherwise legal.

The resistance to side changes, fixation in one place without the ability to change it, precievably.
YOu will never see a psychedelic experience greater than yourself (keep in mind that this is still relative, and that your best, however sad it may be, is still THE best!)
I don't just want to see these fascets of my mind, I want(have) to experience them.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado
Re: Wouldn't the best time to harvest mushrooms be right before cellular expansion really picks up? [Re: juggalacious12]
    #7030240 - 06/10/07 04:07 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I think pretty much everything in any organism is inside the cells. But if psilocybin is a defense mechanism against anything larger than bacteria, that's just fine.

--------------------
Roger Rabbit said: Growing mushrooms is part art, and part science, but it's not magic.

Offlinejuggalacious12
Inconspicuouswhite chick
Male

Re: Wouldn't the best time to harvest mushrooms be right before cellular expansion really picks up? [Re: Dr_T]
    #7030249 - 06/10/07 04:09 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Everything that goes to a cell has to come from a transport system that is hopefully not inside the cell...

And also, how many things are in a human's blood that don't go into the cell, to be specifically used (since everything goes like everywhere).

--------------------
It's kinda like the "rooms" made from drawing a star, where you are in the middle and have access to all of the other rooms simultaniously. Ya know?

Also, I guess that I feel it apropriate to note that all statements of mine are either hypathetical, invalid, or otherwise legal.

The resistance to side changes, fixation in one place without the ability to change it, precievably.
YOu will never see a psychedelic experience greater than yourself (keep in mind that this is still relative, and that your best, however sad it may be, is still THE best!)
I don't just want to see these fascets of my mind, I want(have) to experience them.

Edited by juggalacious12 (06/10/07 04:10 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Wouldn't the best time to harvest mushrooms be right before cellular expansion really picks up? [Re: juggalacious12]
    #7030322 - 06/10/07 04:26 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Mycelium expands in the vegetative stage by cell division. However, mushroom fruiting bodies have all the cells they ever will as small pins. They only engorge with water and grow by cell expansion, not division. The time to pick for maximum potency is at the pin stage.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinejuggalacious12
Inconspicuouswhite chick
Male

Re: Wouldn't the best time to harvest mushrooms be right before cellular expansion really picks up? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7030334 - 06/10/07 04:30 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

So I was right. Yay!

Then technically you want to pick them quite a bit before the veil tears, since you are just wasting cake moisture.

Thank you Roger.

--------------------

Invisiblelsg1
lsg1
 User Gallery

Loc: shoulders of giants
Re: Wouldn't the best time to harvest mushrooms be right before cellular expansion really picks up? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7030347 - 06/10/07 04:36 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Mycelium expands in the vegetative stage by cell division. However, mushroom fruiting bodies have all the cells they ever will as small pins. They only engorge with water and grow by cell expansion, not division. The time to pick for maximum potency is at the pin stage.
RR

Okay, let me see if I understand this.

A mushroom picked just after pinning will contain the exactly identical masses of non-water constituents as a mushroom picked much later? I mean, if I did an analysis of all of the solids in the mushrooms, they would turn out the same, other than water content?

Is there anything at all other than cellular expansion due to water-uptake going on during the growth phase? No metabolism or other cellular development that might have an effect on various constituents of the cells?

--------------------
I'm interested in Kombucha cultivation!  Send me a kombucha baby, and I'll send you the cost of shipping.  I promise to give away at least 5 babies for every baby I receive this way. :smile:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Wouldn't the best time to harvest mushrooms be right before cellular expansion really picks up? [Re: lsg1]
    #7030389 - 06/10/07 04:45 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

As said, the cells do not divide, they expand.  I know that three grams of dried pins will knock your socks off ten times as hard as three grams of a large dry mushroom.  Obviously, the cell walls must grow to be able to hold all that water, but that's about the only thing I've noticed growing.  Pick your next flush at the pin stage, and eat them.  You'll see what I mean. :wink:
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinejuggalacious12
Inconspicuouswhite chick
Male

#7030470 - 06/10/07 05:08 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I'm so fucking happy now!! I only got 5 grams of dried 'shis offa my 8 cakes.. But I harvested most of them when they were still a day or so away from tearing, which doesn't sound like a lot but in that time they would expand like 2-4 times.

I got some that bruised so blue just from my delicate hand touching them (I have a really light touch) and one smallie turned totally blue/black just from picking it, though it's only 3/4".

--------------------

Offlinejuggalacious12
Inconspicuouswhite chick
Male

#7030483 - 06/10/07 05:11 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

At what point do they stop being primordia and become pins? A few hours after the cap develops?

Is no psilocybin transported in the plants circulatory system? If some is, no matter how insignificant, a larger shroom would have more psilocybin in it per specimen but far less proportionately, certainly not enough to constitute wasting that much moisture, unless you need a spore cap.

--------------------

Offlinedeucedbi9
Stranger

Loc: UK
    #7030743 - 06/10/07 06:45 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

RR
"They only engorge with water and grow by cell expansion, not division."

whether it's called cell expansion or division they must still be putting on cellular mass, and, adding actives.
otherwise a fully grown 100g monster mush would weigh the same when dried, as the pin from which it grew.wouldn't it?
surely your not saying that the monster mush that would dose 4-5 people, would have dosed those 4-5 had the mush been plucked as a pin.

at some stage the "cell expansion"(adding mass ?) must stop, and start to stretch, rather than put on mass.
seems to me this would be the ideal time to pick.
so the question becomes,when does the mush stop putting on cellular mass and grow by stretching alone.

what am i missing:confused:

interesting thread jugga:thumbup:

--------------------
whether low pressure sucks or high pressure blows...
it's a bugger to cycle in.

even though I'm feeling good
Something tells me I'd better activate my prayer capsule

OfflineAstral Piper
Voivod
Male

Loc: Hell
Re: Wouldn't the best time to harvest mushrooms be right before cellular expansion really picks up? [Re: deucedbi9]
    #7030775 - 06/10/07 06:55 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

A direct quote from L.G. Nichols and Kerry Ogame's book Psilocybin Mushroom Handbook: Easy Indoor and Outdoor Cultivation:

Quote:

A mature primordium contains all of the cells that will be present in the fully-grown mushroom; all that remains for it to do is take up water and expand. (p.16)

I would interpret "all of the cells" to include the alkaloids as well.

--------------------
Syd Barrett at his final appearance with Pink Floyd on December 22, 1967:

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Wouldn't the best time to harvest mushrooms be right before cellular expansion really picks up? [Re: deucedbi9]
    #7030794 - 06/10/07 07:01 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

of course they put on mass.  cell walls are strengthened with additional material as they stretch.  new cells are not created though.  i don't know the exact mechanism in which this works, but cell walls are strengthened with chitin (the same material that makes a crab shell, for example.)  not sure by what means it is created within the organism or how it is "applied" to the existing cell walls... but apparently it is deposited there as the mushroom engorges with water.  maybe somebody can point to more detailed information on that process?  i tend to think of the mycelial mass below as the "engine" that drives everything, and the fruitbodies as an appendage from that... however it might be possible that the fruitbody cells themselves produce this chitin as they expand?

also, don't confuse RELATIVE and ABSOLUTE amounts of actives we're talking here.

yes, a 100g mushroom will have more absolute actives than a tiny little pin.  it will have less actives relative to its weight.  form a ratio, actives to weight, and think of it that way.  to compare apples to apples you'd need to talk about 100 wet grams worth of pins versus that 100g mushroom.  in which case the pile of pins would win hands down.  we're certainly not comparing a single pin to a single full grown mushroom :smile:

also, as everyone's gears are turning thinking through this thread, don't forget one simple fundamental fact: psilo alkaloids are water soluble.

the original poster's theory is mostly sound if we assume a perfect world where pins continue to form abundantly, flush after flush.  we know they decline with each flush.  partly because the pinning surface is damaged from harvest, and probably in part due to the aging of the organism itself.

Offlinedeucedbi9
Stranger

Loc: UK
Re: Wouldn't the best time to harvest mushrooms be right before cellular expansion really picks up? [Re: Astral Piper]
    #7030844 - 06/10/07 07:24 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Astral Piper said:
A direct quote from L.G. Nichols and Kerry Ogame's book Psilocybin Mushroom Handbook: Easy Indoor and Outdoor Cultivation:

Quote:

A mature primordium contains all of the cells that will bepresent in the fully-grown mushroom; all that remains for it to do is take up water and expand. (p.16)

I would interpret "all of the cells" to include the alkaloids as well.

so,say you pull a large mush, big enough to dose on.
it has a "little brother" growing out of it's side,no bigger than a matchstick.
assuming it had shared genetics,and would have grown as large as "big brother"...
you should also be able to dose on it?
i don't see it,though, i'd like it to be true;)

just saw your post creamcorn.
guess we just need to save them lil brothers.

--------------------
whether low pressure sucks or high pressure blows...
it's a bugger to cycle in.

even though I'm feeling good
Something tells me I'd better activate my prayer capsule

Edited by deucedbi9 (06/10/07 07:40 PM)

OfflineAstral Piper
Voivod
Male

Loc: Hell
    #7030909 - 06/10/07 07:45 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

deucedbi9 said:
so,say you pull a large mush, big enough to dose on.
it has a "little brother" growing out of it's side,no bigger than a matchstick.
assuming it had shared genetics,and would have grown as large as "big brother"...
you should also be able to dose on it?
i don't see it,though, i'd like it to be true;)

just saw your post creamcorn.
guess we just need to save them lil brothers.

I'm as confused as anyone else here, but if the alkaloids are present in the smaller primordia in the same amounts as in the larger mature fruits, then it would make sense.

The following quote is taken directly from the PF Tek section of the mushroom cultivation grow guide here at this site:

Quote:

Some of the first mushrooms to form are "aborts" (convoluted caps, gnarly stems and stunted growth), and ironically they are primo in magic alkaloids. They are even more powerful in magic than the stately beauties that will soon dominate the cake.

That seems to confirm the gist of this thread....

--------------------
Syd Barrett at his final appearance with Pink Floyd on December 22, 1967:

Edited by Astral Piper (06/10/07 07:51 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Wouldn't the best time to harvest mushrooms be right before cellular expansion really picks up? [Re: Astral Piper]
    #7031003 - 06/10/07 08:17 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Is no psilocybin transported in the plants circulatory system?

Mushrooms are not plants, nor do they have circulatory systems. You folks can search back and see that this exact thread gets repeated at least every two or three months. Nothing has changed. That's why we say, "pick them when small, before the veil tears". It's also why when you go to Amsterdam and buy them in a smart shop, they're picked and packaged as pins, without the veil having torn. They know.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Loc: Figgus, Fiddia
    #7031052 - 06/10/07 08:31 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

That psilocybin is a defense mechanism is a questionable leap of assumption. There are good arguments on both sides of the debate, and I personally am not convinced that it is not a metabolic by-product, or that it does not serve some unseen biochemical function.

It is an additionally silly leap to assume that all defensive chemicals would exist outside of the cells that produce them.

Quote:

(If you disagree, please don't be a smartass, just say you do not concur.)

What, feeling especially soft and vulnerable today? It's not a matter of agreement or disagreement, but one of unreasonable assumptions. The basis of scientific inquiry is to eliminate the sort of assumptions upon which your entire argument is based.

This is why people's preference for picking times varies. I think it's a tired and pointless discussion, micromanagement to the extreme.

--------------------
FGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDS

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Wouldn't the best time to harvest mushrooms be right before cellular expansion really picks up? [Re: figgusfiddus]
    #7031350 - 06/10/07 09:57 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Defense mechanism? If so, it's a piss poor one. It's the reason tens of thousands of people search high and low for them, and then grow them at home. Survival mechanism makes more sense, but why argue? It's like arguing over why green beans have iron, or citrus fruits have vitamin C.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Loc: Figgus, Fiddia
    #7031375 - 06/10/07 10:05 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Hey, some people make a living out of those discussions!

--------------------

Offlinejuggalacious12
Inconspicuouswhite chick
Male

Re: Wouldn't the best time to harvest mushrooms be right before cellular expansion really picks up? [Re: figgusfiddus]
    #7034583 - 06/11/07 08:04 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

(now) I'm kinda thinkin that way back in the day of early common ancestors that had things that become neurotransmitters, specifically, the line of descent forked a couple of times. On one hand you have organisms that not only keep but elaborate on the chemical, turning DMT (presumably since it is more common) into more complex(?) molecules like serotonin, dopamine, psilocybin, etc. On the other, the organisms found some other mechanism that allowed for better survival.
The organisms that decided to elaborate on the molecule eventually grew active conscience through the implication of the neurotransmitters and eventually evolved into more complex creatures, eventually making us.

Mabey it's not so much a defense/survival mechanism so much as it is just a product, like a vestige, from the process of become more advanced? Trees have DMT, but they sure don't seem smarter to me, however a shroom is another story.

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #7034612 - 06/11/07 08:14 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
As said, the cells do not divide, they expand.  I know that three grams of dried pins will knock your socks off ten times as hard as three grams of a large dry mushroom.  Obviously, the cell walls must grow to be able to hold all that water, but that's about the only thing I've noticed growing.  Pick your next flush at the pin stage, and eat them.  You'll see what I mean. :wink:

RR

Yup .:thumbup:

I've got a half pound of pins I can't wait to make tea out of and have a cook out .:grin:

Love that portabela tea .

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony
:heart: Hippie Chick :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation