Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinezer0mancer
Transcendentalist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Painting the Roses Red
dunk and roll or casing?
    #7030094 - 06/10/07 01:29 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

i have 3 pf cakes that will be ready for birthing pretty soon. I was wondering is anyone had opinions on what works better: the dunk and roll or a full casing after dunking. thanks in advance

--------------------
By saying “I have nothing to hide,” you are saying that it’s OK for the government to infringe on the rights of potentially millions of your fellow Americans, possibly ruining their lives in the process. To me, the “I have nothing to hide” argument basically equates to “I don’t care what happens, so long as it doesn’t happen to me”

-- Comment of BJ Horn to Solove

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblekintos
Stranger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: dunk and roll or casing? [Re: zer0mancer]
    #7030100 - 06/10/07 01:31 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

i would reccomend casing 2 of them and dunk and roll for one. the one you dunk and roll will give you some shrooms faster than the casings, but the casing will take about and extra week to ten days but you will get alot more than the dunk and roll cake

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: dunk and roll or casing? [Re: kintos]
    #7030139 - 06/10/07 01:40 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

It really doesn't matter. A given sized substrate is only going to generate so much product. A casing layer doesn't provide nutrients or food for the mycelium. It only provides moisture. If you dunk and roll, your flushes will come sooner, but yield overall won't change. Casing often gives one or two larger flushes, while fruiting from cakes generates smaller, but more flushes. In other words, six of one, half dozen of the other.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: dunk and roll or casing? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7030962 - 06/10/07 06:05 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

can someone give me detailed instructions on dunking and rolling?.. well i have a decent idea of how to dunk, just didnt know if i could use tap water and whether or not i should do this at room temp or in the fridge.

and for rolling, do you just completely cover the cake in a thin layer of verm, then mist the walls of the cake?

--------------------
Banez' PF Tek For Beginners

OfflineLVL12
Author andPerfector ofFailure
 User Gallery

Re: dunk and roll or casing? [Re: Banez]
    #7030971 - 06/10/07 06:08 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

for only 3 cakes i suggest dunk and roll... (the precedure is pretty self explanitory, also using the search function its pretty easy to find instructions)

I have a technique i use, i am not sure if its optimal though, gives me good results though, but there may be a better technique, i run cold on the tap water for awhile to clear out anything that may be sitting in there from the hot water tank (Hot Water Tanks can harbor bacteria) the water in my area is very clean and highly rated, I then fill a tin cake pan (find them at my grocery store for like 10 for 3 bucks is also use them for casing) Anyway I fill that up w/ water, then pop the cake out of the jar directly into the water, cover the top of the pan w/ syran rap, put it in my fridge for about 12-24 hours depending on my mood, while this is sitting in the fridge i take a bunch of vermiculite and dunk it in water till its completely saturated, then i strain out the excess, put it into a microwave safe container covered, microwave for 8 minutes (i have little faith that microwaving helps w/ contams much, but it doesnt hurt me any to do it, and i have to wait 12 to 24 hours anyway, so what the hell, might as well) when its done in the microwave and cooled enough to handle, (takes a few hours for that, it gets quite hot) I transfer the verm into a clean ziplock, and then the next day i transfer my cake into the bag of vermiculite, shake it around a bit, and from the outside of the bag kind of "help" the verm connect to the cake.

Works for me, i've also used the dry vermiculite on the cake then sprayed w/ water, and it didnt yeild quite as much as my presoaked vermiculite. so thats the method i go with...

Like i said it may not be optimal, its just what i do

--------------------
Disclaimer: Posts from LVL12 are strictly for entertainment and are a work of fiction, nothing written or said by LVL12 should in interpreted as truth, fact or by their literal definitions or translations. Anyone who reads/listens to these words does so at their own risk, parental discretion is advised.

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: dunk and roll or casing? [Re: LVL12]
    #7030979 - 06/10/07 06:10 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

did u really just type that whole explanation of saying (its pretty much self explanitory, also using the search function is pretty easy) instead of just answering the 2, 1 word answer questions i had.

--------------------

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

#7031009 - 06/10/07 06:18 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

lol...take the cake out of the jar dunk for 12 hours in water *submerge the cake for 12 hours) then after that run under cold water for 5-10 seconds to get off any bacteria that maybe there and then make a bowl of pure verm then take the cake and completly cover it with the verm.that is a dunk and roll.

--------------------
"Anything i say is fictional"
  what you should look for in manure

OfflineLVL12
 User Gallery

#7031022 - 06/10/07 06:22 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Banez said:
did u really just type that whole explanation of saying (its pretty much self explanitory, also using the search function is pretty easy) instead of just answering the 2, 1 word answer questions i had.

LOL, i realised that after i did it, then i went to edit to actually explain it took me longer to do that then it did for you to complain... LOL Anyway, sorry about that,

--------------------
Disclaimer: Posts from LVL12 are strictly for entertainment and are a work of fiction, nothing written or said by LVL12 should in interpreted as truth, fact or by their literal definitions or translations. Anyone who reads/listens to these words does so at their own risk, parental discretion is advised.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: dunk and roll or casing? [Re: xaxphaanes]
    #7031029 - 06/10/07 06:23 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

can someone give me detailed instructions on dunking and rolling?..

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pf+tek&search=Search Be sure to start with part 1.  Sometimes they're out of order on YouTube. If you like the pf tek part, order the whole video please. :wink:
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7031071 - 06/10/07 06:40 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

xaxphaanes said:
lol...take the cake out of the jar dunk for 12 hours in water *submerge the cake for 12 hours) then after that run under cold water for 5-10 seconds to get off any bacteria that maybe there and then make a bowl of pure verm then take the cake and completly cover it with the verm.that is a dunk and roll.

thanks man.

2 questions thought.. dunk in fridge or at room temperature.. and can i use tap water, or does it need to be distilled/ or bottled water?

--------------------

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7031089 - 06/10/07 06:44 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

LVL12 said:
Quote:

Banez said:

LOL, i realised that after i did it, then i went to edit to actually explain it took me longer to do that then it did for you to complain... LOL Anyway, sorry about that,

LOL, thanks. i think im going to do exactly was you said. idk if ill go as far as to microwave the vermiculite.

--------------------

OfflineLVL12
 User Gallery

#7031098 - 06/10/07 06:47 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I've also done it without microwaving, didn't have any sort of problems, although one time I did a casing w/o microwaving and got hit w/ trichoderma, so every since then i've just started doing it, like i said I have no idea if it helps at all

--------------------

Offlineflushme
Shroomery OG
Male User Gallery

Loc: Kazakhstan
    #7031134 - 06/10/07 06:55 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

i would use bottled water for the dunk and pasturized verm for the roll:borat:

--------------------
TRUST IN THE FLUSH

Take Salvia Cuttings Successfully

Offlinecbiegel
A Dude
Re: dunk and roll or casing? [Re: flushme]
    #7031200 - 06/10/07 07:11 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Tap water and Verm straight out of the bag seems to work fine.

--------------------
Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew.

Offlineflushme
Shroomery OG
Male User Gallery

Re: dunk and roll or casing? [Re: cbiegel]
    #7031232 - 06/10/07 07:20 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

unless you wanna play it safe

--------------------
TRUST IN THE FLUSH

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Loc: Figgus, Fiddia
    #7031267 - 06/10/07 07:30 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Verm out of the bag--if you keep the verm IN the bag clean--is damn near sterile the way it's packaged. Tap water contains enough chlorine to keep it pretty close to sterile too. I've never had a problem with using either, and I think it's the best shortcut for your money.

--------------------
FGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDS

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: dunk and roll or casing? [Re: figgusfiddus]
    #7031309 - 06/10/07 07:45 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

just dunk normal tap at normal room temp is what i do never had a problem yet

--------------------

Offlineflushme
Shroomery OG
Male User Gallery

#7031647 - 06/10/07 09:17 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

whatever works

--------------------
TRUST IN THE FLUSH

OfflineLVL12
 User Gallery

#7031745 - 06/10/07 09:40 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I'm going to say if you only have 3 cakes and you need to get a print or some such thing, it wouldnt hurt to pasturize and use distilled water... just to reduce chances...

but i have had great success using tap

--------------------

Offlineflushme
Shroomery OG
Male User Gallery

#7031773 - 06/10/07 09:46 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

true

--------------------
TRUST IN THE FLUSH

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

#7031807 - 06/10/07 09:55 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Huh? Yeah, always sterilize water for a print. That's totally different. Inoculant is easy to contaminate, colonized cakes are comparatively contam-resistant.

--------------------

OfflineLVL12
 User Gallery

Re: dunk and roll or casing? [Re: figgusfiddus]
    #7031973 - 06/10/07 10:34 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Yes definatly sterilize for print, but what i was saying is if you only have 3 jars and no access to more go ahead and play it safe with distilled and pasturized - otherwise i wouldnt worry about it

--------------------

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

#7032173 - 06/11/07 12:01 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

lol if you want to go through the hassle sure do it.fully colonized cakes are pretty hard to contam

--------------------

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

#7032219 - 06/11/07 12:18 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, half the time, even when my old cakes are too weak to fruit they still don't contam. I've been squeezing some weak little flushes (3 or 4 skinny mushrooms every week, worthless) out of my last four cakes for like two months simply because it's more effort to throw them out than to let them grow in a martha. Only the ones that are really, really spent even got a bacterial slick. Cakes are hardy.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates