Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAvatarofAtavism
Stranger

Loc: canada
peat moss?
    #4531088 - 08/13/05 07:30 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

A silly question.  In the few guides that i've read, vermiculite seems to be the choice water retaining ingredient.  I was recently down at the nearest garden centre that I could find, and they didn't carry any.  I'm wondering if something like peat moss, or some other water retainer would work as well?  So long as it is grainy and retains its shape? 

Should I bother finding a better garden centre?  Sorry, first time growing these little marvels.  I'm also interested in growing mushrooms in general, not only magic kind, does vermiculite rule supreme over the water retention realm?  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Do not despair, said the mystery. You will always have a friend in me. Untill the day you break my code. Then I will be gone, and you are free...
to manifest another.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePsilovibe
reader ofthreads

Loc: Treasure Coast
Re: peat moss? [Re: AvatarofAtavism]
    #4531098 - 08/13/05 07:36 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

You live in canada, try Canadian Tire :thumbup: You can find either at a Canadian Tire store. It depends what you are using the vermiculite or peat moss for. Vermiculite can be used in a casing layer and so can peat moss. Peat moss however needs more to be added in with it to make the PH proper. I am not very much in the know with peat moss but optimum ph level is between 6.5 and 8 I believe. Crushed oyster shells from a local pet shop can be used to level the ph of peat.

So, both peat moss and vermiculite can be purchased at a canadian tire. Peat moss should not be used as a substrate though, it's only purpose in cultivation really can be a top layer of a casing or colonized bulk subsrtate. Pardon me if some of my vocab. is a little off... I hope I have helped a bit :smile:

OfflineAvatarofAtavism
Stranger

Loc: canada
Re: peat moss? [Re: Psilovibe]
    #4531204 - 08/13/05 08:13 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

vocab was spot on. I was looking for a substrate replacement.

I was checking out a home depot that had an attached graden centre. I'll try a canadian tire, or something else.

--------------------
Do not despair, said the mystery. You will always have a friend in me. Untill the day you break my code. Then I will be gone, and you are free...
to manifest another.

Offline3six5
Psychenaught
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right here
Re: peat moss? [Re: AvatarofAtavism]
    #4531394 - 08/13/05 09:14 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

50/50 peat and verm with a bit of crushed oystershell added
or.. if for small batchs.. eggshells  :wink:

--------------------

OfflineStoned_Myconaut
WTF? Mate!
Male

Loc: Cloud 9
Re: peat moss? [Re: 3six5]
    #7026979 - 06/09/07 04:02 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I had to bring this post back to life.
I am curious, if miracle grow organic potting soil and hay would do good at leveling the ph level?

--------------------
"I Pledge Allegiance to the Drug War of the United States of America, And to the Hypocrisy for Which It Stands, One Notion, Under Czar, Indefensible, With Incarceration and Injustice for All." - Thomas Paine

I was thrown out of Barnes & Noble for placing the Bibles in the fiction section.

Stoned_Myconaut's Outdoor Grow Tek (Southern Style)

Anyone, but Bush:devil:
:minigun::jesus:
How's my Posting?

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: peat moss? [Re: Stoned_Myconaut]
    #7027046 - 06/09/07 04:31 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

miracle grow anything ime,imo sucks ass expensive not always corrected ph crap,once time i bought it to use as a casing layer and it was ph incorrectly it was 6 instead of 7.5-8 which would more than likely lead to contamination since trich likes a slightly acidic enviroment.and it's expensive.and hay wont adjust ph at all btw

--------------------
"Anything i say is fictional"
  what you should look for in manure

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix