Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Natural Disasters
    #701070 - 06/25/02 03:40 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Right now Arizona is experiencing the largest wild fires in the history of the state, and there are wild fires blazing in many other states too. Torrential rains in China and Russia have caused massive flooding and loss of life. A major earthquake in Iran (may be wrong about the country; can't remember for sure right now) caused major destruction and loss of life also.

Do you think all these natural disasters occurring at the same time are coincidence? Or could it mean something...
I'm not hinting at the end of the world or anything like that, but could nature be trying to tell us something?

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Natural Disasters [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #701113 - 06/25/02 03:50 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

It could mean that the magnetic core of the Earth is being acted upon by a sudden entrance of a foreign mass and gravity in our solar system... like a travelling planet.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: Natural Disasters [Re: ]
    #701122 - 06/25/02 03:53 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Haha... I guess there is a normal scientific explanation for everything. And here I am fantasizing about the earth getting back at its evil inhabitants.
It's nice to dream though.

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Anonymous

#701129 - 06/25/02 03:55 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Well.. the Earth itself is trying to clean things up a bit.. but as this non existant planet gets closer.. watch as these natural disasters increase.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

#701135 - 06/25/02 03:57 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Oooooh, I can't wait!!

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Anonymous

#701145 - 06/25/02 03:59 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

There have always been natural disasters but humans live in higher densities and more areas of the globe than ever before, news travels faster than before, and the forest service practices in the U.S. contribute to more severe wildfires than used to occur.

I read about some naturalist a few years ago who studied fires patterns in the U.S. and Mexico in areas across the border from each other. U.S. wildfires were much more severe. The reason given for this is that in Mexico most fires are allowed to burn and they consume the natural fuel and then burn themselves out. In the U.S., the forest service has had a policiy of putting out every fire, thereby allowing an unatural accumulation of potential fuel. So when fires in the U.S. get out of hand, they REALLY get out of hand.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

#701183 - 06/25/02 04:09 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, I agree that our fire-fighting techniques are sometimes foolish. But if the fire was started by some stupid human, don't you think we should try to stop it?

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Anonymous

#701185 - 06/25/02 04:09 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

What about the steady increase in quanitity and intensity of earthquakes... the flooding, drought, plagues, and unrecorded high levels of these disasters occuring all over the world?

Anonymous

#701297 - 06/25/02 04:48 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

You said it, "unrecorded high levels of these disasters occuring all over the world..."

Humans really haven't been recording such things for very long with the kind of equipment we have now. There are also a lot more people available to experience these things, record them and report them. We are in the beginning of a new period, "The Information Age."

There have always been droughts (ever heard of "The Dust Bowl")and floods, that's why we build reservoirs. It's been said, "climate is what you expect, weather is what you get." In many places there are areas that were once fertile farm areas with temperate climates with ample precipitation that now get hardly any precipitation and are in fact deserts, civilizations vanished as a result of these natural changes.

I would think it's safe to say that there have always been periods of increased geologic activity in certain areas at certain times.

Plagues? How about "The Black Death" or "The Spanish Flu?"

Humans tend to think of their existence as linear whereas much in nature is cyclical and in constant flux (but the fluctions may play out over many human generations). Change should be expected and learned from. Improvise, adapt and overcome so your progeny will be able to live and witness the amazing complexities of nature as you are able to.

Edited by evolving (06/25/02 05:10 PM)

Anonymous

#701326 - 06/25/02 04:58 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah we haven't been recording it for that long. But just looking at the increase in natural disasters over the past 10 years is a significant slope. I'll try to find a graph or something.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #701516 - 06/25/02 06:05 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Right now Arizona is experiencing the largest wild fires in the history of the state,
Correction: In the recorded history, which accounts for about 0.0000001% of it's total history.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: Natural Disasters [Re: Swami]
    #701531 - 06/25/02 06:10 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks Swami... I didn't actually say total history, but I can certainly understand how it could be implied. Recorded definitely should've been added in there to make things more correct.
But then, what's the difference anyway?

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineShroomalicious
You may say I'ma dreamer...

Loc: The Shire
    #701997 - 06/25/02 10:09 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Naturally I respect everyone's opinion here but I strongly agree with everything evolving said. This all could mean something but I think in the grand scheme of things, everything is quite normal. In the last decade you can say that natural disasters have been on the rise, but they have risen(sp?) and fallen ever since the begining of time.

--------------------
Shroomalicious - :smile: I love you and in doing so I love myself, because we ARE all one :smile: - "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth leaves the whole world blind and toothless". - Mahatma Ghandi

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#702163 - 06/26/02 02:54 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

What about the steady increase in quanitity and intensity of earthquakes...

Actually earthquakes and volcanic activity and intensity have been decreasing for billions of years and will continue to decrease as the earth's core cools. Less heat = less energy. Please take basic geology and physics classes or at least do some reading (non-SpiritWeb) before posting erroneous information.

--------------------

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

#702261 - 06/26/02 05:16 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Actually.... Check this site out. It lists recent and significant earthquakes, starting with 1857 at the bottom. From what I see, it looks like there were very few and sporadic significant earthquakes all the way up until about 1999, although the numbers began increasing before then. And then you see between 1999 and right now there are a lot more significant earthquakes.
I admit that the increase in "significant" earthquakes could be due to our increase in population, and our increase in recording and reporting the quakes as our technology increases; but still that trend looks a little fishy to me.

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#702374 - 06/26/02 06:07 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Even if your assumptions are correct, 200 years is insignificant in geologic terms. Short term trends may fluctuate, but long term activity is definitely decreasing.

When is the last time that a mountain range was created?

--------------------

Anonymous

#702621 - 06/26/02 07:44 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Even if your assumptions are correct, 200 years is insignificant in geologic terms. Short term trends may fluctuate, but long term activity is definitely decreasing.

How do you know this if recorded history only goes so far back?

When is the last time that a mountain range was created?

I think its safe to say about 3,599 years ago

Invisiblemr crisper

#703355 - 06/26/02 04:47 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

perhaps the increase is due to improved statistical recordkeeping and measuring instruments, as in the number of disasters is about the same, just we are getting better at counting them.
100 years ago if there was an earthquake in iran killing 500 people, chances are nobody outside of the region would have known how big it was nor that it even happened.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: Natural Disasters [Re: mr crisper]
    #703413 - 06/26/02 05:06 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I reiterate:

I admit that the increase in "significant" earthquakes could be due to our increase in population, and our increase in recording and reporting the quakes as our technology increases; but still that trend looks a little fishy to me.

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Offlinedalorean
Loc: AZ
    #707928 - 06/28/02 12:02 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

speaking of the AZ fire, i am a member of the white mountains that this fire is affecting. the fire has resulted in evacuations of many of my personal freinds and family and i'm awaiting for our town to be on alert. being a member of these mountains for 19 yrs, i know how these people are, and i tell you. i think this fire is directed to the humbling of the people of these white mountians. stuck up self rightious religious people who think god is to save them and "burn" all the other evil people, life has tolerated their crap and is showing them that anything can happen at anytime to anyone. and its our time to be shown. i do believe that natural disasters happen for good reasons, mainly to "humble" people, and show us to respect life in itself and be glad that we are alive and to put it to good use.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies