Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineanenome
Stranger
i need help with my first growing experience
    #7024142 - 06/08/07 08:19 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

i bought one of those head shop shroom kits and the instructions were very vague / non-existent. i didn't realise that i was supposed to let the stuff grow in the bag of poo (the previous version came with a pre-drilled plastic box). i ended up makin my own box and mixing the stuff in there. now i'm worried that the box isn't deep enough and there might not be enough height to accommodate the shrooms. is there any way to fix this? the mycelium isn't fully colonized or anything. would it be possible to get another one of these shallow tubs and do a double tub thing?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCaptainLinger
A Fungus Amongus

Re: i need help with my first growing experience [Re: anenome]
    #7024245 - 06/08/07 08:47 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

i bought one of those head shop shroom kits and the instructions were very vague / non-existent

Your post is very vague itself. I have no idea what you're growing on, why on earth you constructed another box, or what you mean by "do a double tub thing" specifically.

You can move the myc, if that's what you're asking. I wouldn't recommend it; just cover the thing with something that isn't hard plastic.

Offlineanenome
Stranger
Re: i need help with my first growing experience [Re: CaptainLinger]
    #7024333 - 06/08/07 09:15 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

basically the kit came with a patch bag of rye berries with spores and a patch bag of kowanite. i didn't realise until after the fact that i was supposed to mix the colonised berries into the patch bag of kowanite and grow in there. instead i followed the accompanying dvd and mixed the colonised berries with the kowanite in a plastic tub that had a lid with drilled hole. i soon began to realise that the tub might not be deep enough to accommodate the height of the mushrooms when fully grown. i'm tryin to find out the best method to fix this. any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.

OfflineCaptainLinger
A Fungus Amongus

#7025041 - 06/09/07 01:02 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I think honestly this is the least of your worries. If you've gotten this far, congratulations to you :smile:

I presume "kowanite" means Black Kow + vermiculite. Not the greatest substrate, but probably what I'd sell, if I were selling substrate bags. Don't worry about your "mistake"...it really isn't one. It sounds to me as if you've done everything right to this point.

The answer to your question:

-Don't worry about the shrooms. They'll possibly hit the top of your FC, but it's not about to stunt their growth
-Drill more than one hole (unless it's fuckall large). Fruiting, or initiation thereof, requires quite a bit of free air exchange.
-If you're really looking for a solution realize that the hard nature of your fruiting container is unnecessary, and you have many options at your disposal. You can fruit invitro (in-bag, search for invitro on these forums)...or simply take any hard surface off the top of your terrarrium and cover that bad boy with saran wrap. The enclosed nature of your growing environment is no longer for sanitation, but to maintain humidity. It's not like taking the top off to facilitate FAE will hurt anything, unless you fail to keep your casing supplied with fresh air.

OfflineCaptainLinger
A Fungus Amongus

#7025199 - 06/09/07 01:52 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

sorry, anenome, I'm trying to provide an answer to you but at the same time I strongly, strongly suggest...learn the underlying principles! RogerRabbit and others around here are absolutely incredible, and patient about teaching newcomers techniques for growing mushrooms.

Don't be intimidated by growkits' instructions. Some attempt to keep their business to themselves, and some simply go to great lengths to ensure you a successful grow. Either way, just spend a day that you have free, surfing the forums and learning about spawning to bulk substrate. PM me if you have any questions...but learn for yourself!

The good guys are folks like Ralphster (who sells reliable syringes, cheaply), spores101.com, etc...and more importantly Graham (mycobag.com, sells discount bags of spawn) that let you learn how things are done, and engineer your grow for the future.

Offlinemoon_glue
Orwell's Post9/11 Era
Male

Loc: Earth, today...
    #7025474 - 06/09/07 04:29 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

use the damn search engine. buy a book.

Offlineanenome
Stranger
Re: i need help with my first growing experience [Re: moon_glue]
    #7027287 - 06/09/07 06:04 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

i've got the knowledge on how to grow, etc. it's not technique or understanding that i lack. my concern is that the mushrooms will hit the lid of the box when they start growing. the label says they're "mutant blue." i can't find any info about that strain online (how tall they grow, etc.).

InvisibleAndroctonus
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: L.I.S.
    #7027591 - 06/09/07 07:49 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I think maybe this will help you out. That is if I'm interpreting your question correctly.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=75&Number=4323984&fpart=1&PHPSESSID=

--------------------
The red grass, up to my knees
An aura comes towards me

Someone's changed the formula
Un-chaining another law

The structures, the colors
Uniform chaos is alternating

The nature of things

Offlineanenome
Stranger
Re: i need help with my first growing experience [Re: Androctonus]
    #7035383 - 06/11/07 09:18 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

right now i'm using a single tub with substrate and the mycelium is already starting to cover the casing. is it safe at this stage in the growing process to add more head room by replacing the lid of the single tub with another tub that has been inverted (drill the holes on both tubs and polyfill them, etc.)?

OfflineAbyssWP
Stranger
Loc: colorado
    #7035451 - 06/11/07 09:32 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

well tell me this, how many inches from the top of your casing layer to the lid?

Offlineanenome
Stranger
Re: i need help with my first growing experience [Re: AbyssWP]
    #7036782 - 06/12/07 05:25 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

looks like about three inches. Three and a half at the very most.

Edited by anenome (06/12/07 06:27 PM)

Offlineanenome
Stranger
    #7042833 - 06/13/07 04:36 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for your reply, Captain! It cleared up a lot of the confusion i had about the lid and enclosure.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds